Angels hire Joe Maddon as Manager

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
he must have faith in eppler to fix their pitching woes

still think the padres would've been a better fit considering their young talent and division they play in. but i see this as him going back to the place it all started before he calls it quits

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

still think the padres would've been a better fit considering their young talent and division they play in. but i see this as him going back to the place it all started before he calls it quits
Everything Eppler has done would give me faith. He's done a pretty good job. Same with Preller, but at least Eppler isn't doing it in a real dickhead, unethical (in some respects) way.

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
throwing 20 mil combined at harvey and cahill gave you faith?

ouch
That's fine? Having 20 million dollars to fix more than one rotation spot is essentially nothing. Either you throw darts and they hit or you have Ross Detwiler as your five.

He rebuilt the farm system and made a lot of positive additions. They should be big time buyers this offseason, finally.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
lol at preller being good
he's brought in some great young talent but also done some stupid s*** like throw all that money at hosmer

not to mention when he tried to go "all in" a few years ago and it backfired. if they don't come close to making the playoffs next season he'll be fired

MurrayBannerman

Feb 18, 2012
CHI
If I got to pick five teams to just be in charge of for the next five years, they'd make the list. Probably something like Braves, Astros, Padres, Yankees, and Dodgers.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
That's fine? Having 20 million dollars to fix more than one rotation spot is essentially nothing. Either you throw darts and they hit or you have Ross Detwiler as your five.

He rebuilt the farm system and made a lot of positive additions. They should be big time buyers this offseason, finally.
at least someone else on this board gets it.

eppler threw money at two guys on one year deals which didn't work out. somehow this makes him a bad gm.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
at least someone else on this board gets it.

eppler threw money at two guys on one year deals which didn't work out. somehow this makes him a bad gm.

no one said he's a bad GM. he brought in ohtani and revamped what was one of the worst farm systems

but giving that much money to those two guys was dumb no matter how you try to argue it. and he has yet to bring in any sort of MLB-caliber pitching to that team

Reactions: mymerlincat

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
it was on one year deals. harvey was a dominant pitcher at one point and cahill was coming off a good season. it cost nothing but money. not draft picks, not international signing bonus. it cost 20 million in total. how is that dumb? should all teams start walking away from players after the age of 30? once you've had one bad year, it's impossible to come back? signings like that are what keep teams like the yankees in business when everyone and their brother gets hurt.

and it's not like in seasons past he's had a lot to work with w/r/t to money, inheriting shit long-term contracts given out to bad players. we've also seen the absolute dearth of players making it to free agency and the ones who do are flawed. eppler's first offseason saw price and greinke lead the class with the rest all being flawed starters. cueto, samardzija, gallardo, zimmermann, chen, kennedy. even price himself hasn't been great at times (the angels can f***ing have him if they want him).

2016 was pretty bad. aside from charlie morton, who was left for dead by most of mlb, you have hill, hellickson, nova, colon, volquez, chacin, hammel, anderson and fister. that's a murder victim's row. 2017 was headlined by darvish which i think we can agree hasn't been all gold in chicago, arrietta, who has declined pretty quickly and cobb who was pretty bad. hindsight tells us that lance lynn, mike minor and chacin that offseason were good pickups but that's hindsight isn't it. last year i've been over in other posts. corbin wanted the east coast. same with happ and sabathia. they can have eovaldi if they want him.

where is this pitching going to come from? there are a few guys who have hit the market but have gone to other teams, likely due to the angels not being a great team at the time, something that eppler has been taking care of by building the farm. it's not like he could trade for other team's starters as he didn't really have the assets to get anyone.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Why is this a thread already? He hasn't been hired yet, just some BR guy jumping to a conclusion. I think we will hire him 100%, but we are still in the process of conducting interviews. This is a bit premature to me.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
it was on one year deals. harvey was a dominant pitcher at one point and cahill was coming off a good season. it cost nothing but money. not draft picks, not international signing bonus. it cost 20 million in total. how is that dumb? should all teams start walking away from players after the age of 30? once you've had one bad year, it's impossible to come back? signings like that are what keep teams like the yankees in business when everyone and their brother gets hurt.

and it's not like in seasons past he's had a lot to work with w/r/t to money, inheriting **** long-term contracts given out to bad players. we've also seen the absolute dearth of players making it to free agency and the ones who do are flawed. eppler's first offseason saw price and greinke lead the class with the rest all being flawed starters. cueto, samardzija, gallardo, zimmermann, chen, kennedy. even price himself hasn't been great at times (the angels can ****ing have him if they want him).

2016 was pretty bad. aside from charlie morton, who was left for dead by most of mlb, you have hill, hellickson, nova, colon, volquez, chacin, hammel, anderson and fister. that's a murder victim's row. 2017 was headlined by darvish which i think we can agree hasn't been all gold in chicago, arrietta, who has declined pretty quickly and cobb who was pretty bad. hindsight tells us that lance lynn, mike minor and chacin that offseason were good pickups but that's hindsight isn't it. last year i've been over in other posts. corbin wanted the east coast. same with happ and sabathia. they can have eovaldi if they want him.

where is this pitching going to come from? there are a few guys who have hit the market but have gone to other teams, likely due to the angels not being a great team at the time, something that eppler has been taking care of by building the farm. it's not like he could trade for other team's starters as he didn't really have the assets to get anyone.
You're essentially saying he hasn't done anything wrong just because it hasn't been as disastrous as moves our previous GM and other teams have made. It is clear that Eppler is lacking in his ability to evaluate major league talent as evidenced by his refusal to bring in any significant upgrades to our MLB team in four years outside of Ohtani, Robles, and Simmons. It remains to be seen if his farm system upgrades will amount to anything, Canning is the only player who has produced in the majors thus far and looked like a #4 starter. Outside of Adell we have no top 100 prospects. I don't believe we are any closer to contention now than we were when he took over the team, and we just had our worst season in 20 years. Luckily, he is now on the hot seat, so if the MLB record doesn't improve, we will move on from him.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
you and i have disagreed on this in every way, shape and form.

what would you have done differently, bearing in mind that you cannot tear the team down to the studs and do a new style rebuild?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
you and i have disagreed on this in every way, shape and form.

what would you have done differently, bearing in mind that you cannot tear the team down to the studs and do a new style rebuild?
I would have paid Harvey, Cahill, and Allen in line with what similar players were getting paid on the market. I would not have signed Cozart to try to turn him into a third baseman after a career year with the bat. I would not have given Upton 5 years just as we were finally done paying Hamilton. I would not have made Brad Ausmus the manager. I would've just kept Lucroy/Garneau instead of trading 2 young prospects for Stassi. Most importantly, I would have, at some point during the 4 years of his tenure, would address the MLB rotation (which he has not touched sans Ohtani and vet/reclamation project one year deal crap).

I am not as worried about Eppler as I used to be however, as I know that 2020 is it for him. He will either put together a winning ball club, or he will be fired. 5 losing seasons with Trout is unacceptable, no matter how improved you think our farm system is.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
and again, pray tell, where are you getting the pitchers to build this rotation of yours?

i've asked in other threads. i've shown you what was available on the market. example, last year aside from overpaying sabathia, the realistic options are what? lance lynn? that contract was surprising at the time. keuchel? gio? pomeranz?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
and again, pray tell, where are you getting the pitchers to build this rotation of yours?

i've asked in other threads. i've shown you what was available on the market. example, last year aside from overpaying sabathia, the realistic options are what? lance lynn? that contract was surprising at the time. keuchel? gio? pomeranz?
Never in any response have I made to you have you addressed a single point I've made, or responded to a single mistake he has made. You just respond with "So what would you have done better?"

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Moreno is going to give Cole a piece of the team if he has to.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I would have paid Harvey, Cahill, and Allen in line with what similar players were getting paid on the market. I would not have signed Cozart to try to turn him into a third baseman after a career year with the bat. I would not have given Upton 5 years just as we were finally done paying Hamilton. I would not have made Brad Ausmus the manager. I would've just kept Lucroy/Garneau instead of trading 2 young prospects for Stassi. Most importantly, I would have, at some point during the 4 years of his tenure, would address the MLB rotation (which he has not touched sans Ohtani and vet/reclamation project one year deal crap).

I am not as worried about Eppler as I used to be however, as I know that 2020 is it for him. He will either put together a winning ball club, or he will be fired. 5 losing seasons with Trout is unacceptable, no matter how improved you think our farm system is.

You were very happy with Upton deal. We've been through this before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad