Andy Greene Appreciation Thread

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Ummm 2012? Is this post for real.

Yes, it’s for real. If you think of the 2012 team, are you really thinking about Andy Greene from that roster? He just doesn’t have that signature moment(s). It also doesn’t help that outside of that 2012 team, he probably played on maybe a handful of truly decent teams. We’ve been dog shit for the majority of his time here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdj12784

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
His 2013-2014 season was probably his best that sticks out to me, on both sides of the ice.

Had that game winner in that wild game in Boston and OT winner against Minnesota that I was there for.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Thing is Greene wasn't a highlights guy, he didn't make the big hit and he only had one point in 24 playoff games in 2012 so yeah it's hard to come up with 'signature moments' per se. He was just a guy who didn't get a lot of ink unless he DIDN'T do his job.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Yes, it’s for real. If you think of the 2012 team, are you really thinking about Andy Greene from that roster?

He was our best defenseman on a team 2 games away from the cup. He was tasked in shutting down Girouxs line which had just dismantled Pittsburgh.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
He was our best defenseman on a team 2 games away from the cup. He was tasked in shutting down Girouxs line which had just dismantled Pittsburgh.

Off the top of my head from that Philly series, Larsson’s goal in game 2, Clarkson scoring that weird goal on Bryzgalov and then jumping on the net. Ponikarovsky ot winner. Brodeur winning on his 40th birthday. I’m not trying to discredit the guy, he gave this franchise plenty of strong play through the years, but he was as unassuming as it gets.

You know what, it’s an appreciation thread so this probably isn’t the best place to discuss this, that’s my bad. I guess I was just kind of surprised at how little I felt about the departure of a player that was here as long as he was.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I'll give him his due. He happened to play his prime years during a really shitty period of Devils hockey, but he was a good player. Deserved better in terms of playoffs.

I do think there's a good chance he's brought back next year on a cheap deal.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Greene was an absolute force during his peak... Amazing shut down defenseman that could move the puck.

His shot always sucked though.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

Camille the Eel

Being among the league leaders in blocked shots this year (last year too) is a stat that jumps out at you.

But also what a gentleman. What a model of what a top athlete should be. With the press. In the locker room after games. He did a wonderful post game with Erica a few games back. Was very philosophical, maybe a little nostalgic, as if he knew this was in the works. When he took off the hat you saw how the hair was getting a little thin.

I remember an OT game winner a couple years back on a breakaway - in the Hall season - I think maybe in Nashville, but anyway slipping the puck deftly through the 5 hole in a smooth play crossing in front of the net (maybe Rinne?).

Fare thee well Captain.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The most memorable Greene moment for me is Andy getting f***ed out of a spot on the 2010 Olympics team. Greene was a beast that year and it was likely the best season of his career. I would argue that he was the second best American defenseman, only Brian Rafalski was better, in the NHL that year. Others may have rated him lower than that but no one in their right mind would argue that Brooks Orpik and Tim Gleason were even remotely as good as Greene. Everyone knew he deserved to be on that team but apparently having two undrafted defenseman on the national team was too unseemly and so everyone other than Rafalski was a former 1st round pick.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
I won't go into Andy's on ice play - we all know what he brought to the team. From a strictly personal view, he's one of nicest Devils I've ever met. We went to the Global Series game against Edmonton last season and after the game, the players were in the hotel and getting their personal belongings ready for shipping back to the US. Andy was in the lobby and we asked for a quick picture - that's all we wanted. He told us he had to go upstairs to his room and get his belongings down to the bus but that he would be back right after. Sure you will Andy.

Well, ten minutes later who comes back down to the lobby but Andy Greene in sweats, long sleeve tee, cap on backwards, BAREFOOT. He did take pictures with us, but then stayed and talked for 15-20 minutes about anything - where we were from, about staying behind while the younger guys went out (LOL!), thanking us for traveling to Sweden to root for the Devils among other things. He didn't have to do it, but he did without hesitation and for that we'll forever have that memory to go along his play for the past 14 seasons. :)

THANK YOU ANDY.

image0.jpeg

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Greene made his islanders debut today. He was the islanders best defenseman. Was a rock defensively. Very sound and poised in his own end. Saved a goal. He also got rewarded from his great defensive play with an assist. Great debut for him. Trotz doesn’t always ride the same defenseman so I don’t expect him to play 20+ min every game but he’s going to really help us.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I appreciate everything he did for this team.

I hope he, and as a consequence the Isles, are an unmitigated disaster now.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I assume if Andy’s healthy he’s playing when the Isles come to the Rock on March 21st. I definitely want to be there for that, he’s a player who very much deserves a video salute.

edit: Me bad at the english grammar.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Greene made his islanders debut today. He was the islanders best defenseman. Was a rock defensively. Very sound and poised in his own end. Saved a goal. He also got rewarded from his great defensive play with an assist. Great debut for him. Trotz doesn’t always ride the same defenseman so I don’t expect him to play 20+ min every game but he’s going to really help us.

Just don’t get down if he doesn’t bring this every night. Andy’s offense has been bone dry for a while now, and his 5 on 5 D is heading south too.

He can still be a good PKer and obviously is a solid vet and leader. If you are ok with that, you will be happy.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Just don’t get down if he doesn’t bring this every night. Andy’s offense has been bone dry for a while now, and his 5 on 5 D is heading south too.

He can still be a good PKer and obviously is a solid vet and leader. If you are ok with that, you will be happy.

Yes absolutely. I’m not expecting really any offense. Just expecting a guy that can be strong in In his own end and make the right decisions with the puck in his own end. He looked really good today defending. Don’t know if it was adrenaline or anything but he was good. Hope he can be that solid for us down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guttersniped

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Greene will look like peak Greene under a better coach and under a better system

Alright, alright, I'm pushing a bit but you get my point

Reactions: Guttersniped

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
A True Devil:clap:

Won’t mind Andy back on the third pairing next season but if this is it then I thank him for his service.
A pro's pro......fan favorite and leader on and off the ice......glad he gets a chance for a cup best of luck....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad