Injury Report: Andy DTD with kneee injury

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
McBackups's sitting on a 0.900 save % and Pickard an 0.886%. It's not like any of the three options have been good so far.

Let's see what Sparks can do. If after 4-5 games he's struggled in every single one, we look into getting another backup. Not a huge deal. One of Mrazak/McElhinney and/or one of Elliot/Neuvirth/Pickard will likely be on waivers within a few weeks once Darling/Neuvirth are healthy.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
We're kind of f***ed but there's really not anything that could have been done differently. Even if Sparks had been waived instead of McBackup that gives us McBackup/KK as our goalies for a week. I still think McBackup is the better goalie, but I'll certainly be pulling for Sparks tonight.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
WTF?!?!?!?! I didn't come to HF and expect to see this!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Reactions: Muston Atthews

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
BTW keeping 3 goalies on an NHL roster is stupid and you know if the Leafs did that an injury would never happen. Management was going to lose 2 of 4 goalies no matter what they did and they made a call. Hopefully Sparks can hold the fort for the time being, and hopefully Freddy's injury won't be serious. No sense getting all worked up until it's time too.

Well I just wanted to keep 2 NHL goalies: Andersen and McElhinney. If they kept Sparks too somehow, that would have been alright.

I said the minute McElhinney and were Picard were claimed this was Dubas' first big misstep and I predict it's a real biggie.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
We should have kept both Mcbackup and Picard to be extra safe. There's nothing in the NHL rulebook that prevents you from icing two goalies at the same time. We would have made it work.

...we'll win 4-2 tonight, Sparks will look fine, and Freddy will be back by Saturday.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I knew when Sparks was slated to start tonight that something seemed off. Why start someone who is leaky and will undoubtedly let in a boatload of goals when Andersen had a stellar game against Washington? It made zero sense, but this... this makes complete sense.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
no hindsight needed , Dubas would have known teams had injured goalies and should have kept 3 . especially since we don't have anything on the farm that's even close to being ready

Dubas made a mistake and will make more like every GM does so please lets stop making excuses like people endlessly did for Burke .
It was predicted that once Philly's and Carolina's injured Goalies were back Leafs would be able to recoup 1 if not both waived goalies and send them to the Marlies. Bad luck Freddie got hurt, but I reiterate if Sparks shines it's not a problem. lets hope Sparks shines.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Lmfao some people on here will literally ***** and complain about every little situation that happens. Name me 3 other teams that have 3 goalies on their roster? Then some complain about the "lack of depth" we have.. What are you suppose to do when all 3 of ur backup options for the year have to go through waivers and 2 happened to get claimed.
Seriously it's like we don't know what to do when things are going well... we all need to predict every possible way that everything can go wrong.

Our coach sucks!
Our D sucks!
Our backup sucks!
Our GM doesnt know what he's doing!

Meanwhile we have the most entertaining team in the league and are sitting in 1st place.

Reactions: CBinTokyo

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because he possiby could have expected both waived goalies getting claimed, his starter getting hurt, and his AHL starter getting hurt

Yes, after what they did in Toronto he have, and should have expected both his goalies to get claime, thankfully this is day to and doesn't sound serious, that doesn't change the fact that Dubas f***ed up

member 298589

Almost certainly from when Hainsey fell on his left leg last game. Just our #1 RD continuing with quality hockey plays.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Of all the goaltenders who have played in the last 10 years and are still active, Curtis McElhinney is the worst statistically in the NHL. The worst.

He's god awful.

You give the job to ANYONE ELSE even remotely competent. AHL Goalie of the Year? Perfect, do it up. And if it doesn't work out, you go sign another one, or make a low risk trade, or grab one on waivers. Because guess what? They'll likely be better than Curtis McElhinney too.

Because Curtis McElhinney is god awful.

Awful. Super bad. Real real not good.

Exactly. McElhinney is total fluke. I did not lose any sleep over losing junk goalies like McElhinney and Pickard. Who cares? They are not the guys who you want to run with if Andy is hurt for a period of time either. Giving McElhinney several starts in a row is a disaster waiting to happen. That's why Babs only trusted him with a game here and there, lmao. McElhinney is junk.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Seriously it's like we don't know what to do when things are going well... we all need to predict every possible way that everything can go wrong.

Our coach sucks!
Our D sucks!
Our backup sucks!
Our GM doesnt know what he's doing!

Meanwhile we have the most entertaining team in the league and are sitting in 1st place.
we have great forwards though lol

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Almost certainly from when Hainsey fell on his left leg last game. Just our #1 RD continuing with quality hockey plays.
no matter how much you hate a player, slamming Hainsey is childish, he didn't fall on Freddie on purpose, or do you think he did?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->