Injury Report: Andy DTD with kneee injury

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
he could have waived Pickard earlier in camp and if he didn't clear could have run with 3 goalies

without injuries i doubt both would have been claimed but Dubas would/should have known teams had injury problems and shouldn't have waived both
would have, could have, hindsight is 20/20. I'll evaluate whether it was a mistake after seeing how Sparks handles the spotlight. McBackup certainly has more NHL experience, but he also could have s**t the bed in Andy's absence. Not waiving Sparks was the smart move long term, and quite possibly short term, we're apparently going to find out now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The only thing Dubas could have done was keep McEhinney or Pickard over Sparks.

Two of them were getting claimed off waivers in every situation (all 3 required waivers).

You can question his selection - but the lack of depth is not his fault.
He could have kept three goalies and 7 D, so your bold is bull.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
So I guess we will be seeing a lot of over reactionary posts blaming Dubas and cursing him a 1000 ways. Followed up shortly by ripping apart Sparks in every way possible with a bit of the sky is falling 6 games into the season to top it all off...

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
1. Get of the ledge guys it's not that bad. Seriously, the over reactions here are ridiculous.

2. This isn't anything on dubas. We were going to lose 2 goalies either way, Sparks was the keeper, naturally that gets us to our #5 on the depth chart. Nothing you can do about it.

Go Leafs go, hopefully this motivates the defensive system.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

ICECOLDBEER

Apr 2, 2017
It'll be fine people!!! Anderson still skated today. LA is also without Quick. LA has scored 11 we have almost scored 30!!! Just being overly cautious with Anderson as they should be. If they lose a couple games with Andy out things will be just fine. I personally don't think they will though.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Personally i thought we shoulda kept 3 goalies and waived marincin...using a rosen or borgman with 2 way contracts to come up and down freely.

I have always thought losing mac might be a mistake for this year...And it looks like it might be...

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Didn't Vegas have some goaltending depth issues last year? Pretty sure they made it through the darkness. Everyone get your paper bags out, breathe in, breathe out, repeat.

KyleSeaBass

Oct 5, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
I guess we’ll see but I’m more comfortable with a guy who has starters experience than two guys who’ve played back up their entire careers.

I'll take one of the best backups in the NHL over the past two years to fill in over a career AHLer, but that's just me.

Wish Sparks nothing but the best and we'll know if he's ready soon enough.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jesus some of you need to relax. Backup and third string goaltenders are the least valuable and hard things to find in this league. They get passed around like candy.

Andy won't be out long-term and Sparks will be just fine. If either one of these don't work out, you just go out and find an alternative.

Reactions: Menzinger

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
He could have kept three goalies and 7 D, so your bold is bull.

Yeah...3 goalies all year?

Someone would have to be sent down eventually....and then they'd get claimed.

Your best odds of getting a player through waivers is before game 1 when everyone does it.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Its on him for choosing the wrong goaltender especially one who has zero chance of ever developing as a future starter.

Of all the goaltenders who have played in the last 10 years and are still active, Curtis McElhinney is the worst statistically in the NHL. The worst.

He's god awful.

You give the job to ANYONE ELSE even remotely competent. AHL Goalie of the Year? Perfect, do it up. And if it doesn't work out, you go sign another one, or make a low risk trade, or grab one on waivers. Because guess what? They'll likely be better than Curtis McElhinney too.

Because Curtis McElhinney is god awful.

Awful. Super bad. Real real not good.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah...3 goalies all year?

Someone would have to be sent down eventually....and then they'd get claimed.

You best odds of getting a player through waivers is before the season when everyone does it.
Keep three, give Sparks a chance if he looks good send down the other guy and hope he clears. Anyways, this isn't a good situation that's for sure.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Lmfao some people on here will literally bitch and complain about every little situation that happens. Name me 3 other teams that have 3 goalies on their roster? Then some complain about the "lack of depth" we have.. What are you suppose to do when all 3 of ur backup options for the year have to go through waivers and 2 happened to get claimed.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
would have, could have, hindsight is 20/20. I'll evaluate whether it was a mistake after seeing how Sparks handles the spotlight. McBackup certainly has more NHL experience, but he also could have s**t the bed in Andy's absence. Not waiving Sparks was the smart move long term, and quite possibly short term, we're apparently going to find out now.
no hindsight needed , Dubas would have known teams had injured goalies and should have kept 3 . especially since we don't have anything on the farm that's even close to being ready

Dubas made a mistake and will make more like every GM does so please lets stop making excuses like people endlessly did for Burke .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad