Cut/Released: Andy Dalton (signs 1 year, $3 million w DAL)

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I still think the Pats are the best fit personally. In fact, I think the chance Dalton would be released may have been why they chose not to draft a QB. Dalton is young enough still that he could play decent football for 4-5 years. Still not sure that team finishes better than 8-8 with him, but I think they'll still be in win now mode (even if it seems preposterous).

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Last season the backup was rookie Finlay from NC State. Would need to eye another veteran QB.

For Dalton, think the NFL knows what he is. Decent starter that can get you to the playoffs if you have a quality team around him and he makes ok money. If he’s making too much then he can’t lift the team to compensate for lesser talent.

he’s made good money being a starter for a few years. So up to him what role he wishes to have moving forward.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I still think the Pats are the best fit personally. In fact, I think the chance Dalton would be released may have been why they chose not to draft a QB. Dalton is young enough still that he could play decent football for 4-5 years. Still not sure that team finishes better than 8-8 with him, but I think they'll still be in win now mode (even if it seems preposterous).
If he comes to the Patriots, its a one year deal max, team friendly, loaded with incentives. Dalton gets to recoup his value and get a long term contract next season.

Patriots get a motivated Dalton and Stidham gets another year to develop or even take over half way through the season.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Small similarity to Dallas and Kitna, I guess, former Bengal to Big D and all.

member 157595

Makes perfect sense for the Cowboys. Dalton gets to go back home and is a terrific option compared to most backups in case of injury/other problems with Prescott.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Makes perfect sense for the Cowboys. Dalton gets to go back home and is a terrific option compared to most backups in case of injury/other problems with Prescott.
Probably helps Dallas in their long term negotiations with Dak, as well as getting Dak into camp even on the franchise tag. If Dak doesn’t show up the Cowboys start the season with an experienced QB with a great RB and 3 very good receivers for Dalton to throw to.

Reduces Daks leverage as now Dallas has a competent starter if Dak waits to sign the franchise tender until the last minute rather than just having Cooper Rush. Dak now can’t afford to miss training camp under a new HC and be up to speed vs a vet like Dalton.

Last edited:
Reactions: tacogeoff

member 157595

Probably helps Dallas in their long term negotiations with Dak, as well as getting Dak into camp even on the franchise tag. If Dak doesn’t show up the Cowboys start the season with an experienced QB with a great RB and 3 very good receivers for Dalton to throw to.

Reduces Daks leverage as now Dallas has a competent starter if Dak waits to sign the franchise tender until the last minute rather than just having Cooper Rush. Dak now can’t afford to miss training camp under a new HC and be up to speed vs a vet like Dalton.

I agree. Well worth the risk for Dallas. Dalton's obviously not a good full-time starter for a team with SB aspirations but he's a great insurance policy under the current constraints. He's likely happy to have a job and to be back home, he's probably not going to make as much of a stink about being a backup as a guy like Cam Newton.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I agree. Well worth the risk for Dallas. Dalton's obviously not a good full-time starter for a team with SB aspirations but he's a great insurance policy under the current constraints. He's likely happy to have a job and to be back home, he's probably not going to make as much of a stink about being a backup as a guy like Cam Newton.
Dalton was a 2nd rounder with average measurables, more akin to Fromm, Fitzpatrick, Barkley, etc who got an opportunity and seized it. Has had a good career and made a tonne of money. Cam’s measurables are off the charts. Strong arm, size of a TE, speed, and ripped. Plus first overall pick.

if I’m Dak, I now know that if I can’t come to terms on a long term deal (and from reports) Dallas only wants to do 2 years of average money guaranteed like the $40 mill of Coopers $100 mill contract, then I can’t just wait and sit on the franchise tag like Clowney did the past season and come into the facility just before the first game. New system under a new coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad