Netherlands: Andy Bathgate

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
This might be a little specific, but does anybody know what happened between Andy Bathgate and HYC Herentals?

He currently leads his team and is sixth in the league despite not playing since New Year's, after the team let him go.

The coach apparently felt he "needed more" from an import player, and upon freeing the contract slot, they signed an ex-player - Tyler Melancon. I know he was a last minute addition after another import player left (due to injury?) - Cody Chikie.

Was this a matter of politics or internal drama? Or how do they justify cutting their top scorer?

I know he's had an interesting past year; he was 18th in CIS scoring, and lead the University of Guelph Gryphons as a college rookie last season, and then promptly left in order to turn pro in Europe before this season. He signed on with Briancon of Ligue Magnus, and trained with the other imports for a week before mutually ending their deal. Then he joined HYC Herentals in Eredivisie, led them as a rookie and was let go again. Now he has signed on with Konigsborner in the German Oberliga.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Since he has scored only 8 goals it wouldn't be surprising if the coach really felt he wasn't good enough.

This Melancon fella might have something to do with it too. Looking at the stats it's obvious this weren't going his way in the SPHL so it's possible he just called Herentals and told them he's available. Maybe they felt he's a better player or a better fit and just fired Bathgate.

A life of an "import" hockey player isn't the easiest one to live, especially at the level where players are a dime a dozen. They get fired on regular basis without much of a drama, I don't think there's something different in this case. It's not like the player was head and shoulders above the league level.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Since he has scored only 8 goals it wouldn't be surprising if the coach really felt he wasn't good enough.

This Melancon fella might have something to do with it too. Looking at the stats it's obvious this weren't going his way in the SPHL so it's possible he just called Herentals and told them he's available. Maybe they felt he's a better player or a better fit and just fired Bathgate.

A life of an "import" hockey player isn't the easiest one to live, especially at the level where players are a dime a dozen. They get fired on regular basis without much of a drama, I don't think there's something different in this case. It's not like the player was head and shoulders above the league level.

He had 31 points in 17 games. That's not bad if you ask me.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He had 31 points in 17 games. That's not bad if you ask me.

Sure, but when there is a foreigner limit "not bad" doesn't cut it. I mean I don't know the truth, there might be some non-hockey reasons but 31 points in 17 games is nothing special in that league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

I totally get what you're saying. I don't get to follow too much European hockey so don't know too much about how import players fair or are treated, but it makes sense. But it still seems really weird to me considering he was leading the team. He wasn't miles ahead in the league, but again he was leading the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->