Andrew MacWilliam

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
Hi Guys,

I didn't have a chance to watch many Marlies games last year and was wondering if perhaps those that did may be able to give me some details on MacWilliams game and his past season. With all of this talk about promoting guys from the marlies, is there a chance he could grab one of the spots on the bottom pairing out of camp?

I see he is a big kid too (220lbs) is he a mobile guy for that size and does he use his body effectively?

Thanks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is a chance. I'm not sure he's got upside to be more then a Mark Fraser type defender to be honest though.

He's definitely a feisty defender. Hits to hurt. Doesn't back down from anybody and his mobility is adequate. Good positionally but can get caught out of position for that hit and take questionable penalties.

He has no offensive upside either. His overall puck skills I think are underwhelming, which will hold him back. With that said, he's not going to be counted for that if he does reach his potential. He's going to be that gritty defender that blocks shots, play a physical style and clear the crease so to speak.

He wore an "A" this past Marlies season for a reason. He's a stand up guy, even as a pro rookie out of college. With everything said, I think he can be a good #7-8 defender this season and a #5-6-7 in the near future. He's all ready 24 years old and going to be 25 by the end of the 2016 season. I think he'll probably start on the Marlies and finish with the Leafs by the end of the season.

EDIT:

Here's a youtube of pretty much what he brings. A lot of standing up for teammates, grit and tenacity. He's a tough kid.

Last edited:

Falon

May 21, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
The guy is the only kind of relevant enforcer left in today's game, unless a player has a rare combination of speed and brains to be more than a plugger. The concept of a defenseman enforcer is quite smart all things considered, as they can play with all lines to protect players. I see him as a definite NHLer, but never more than a 5-6 guy. Very similar to Mark Fraser, only a better and faster skater.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
There is a chance. I'm not sure he's got upside to be more then a Mark Fraser type defender to be honest though.

He's definitely a feisty defender. Hits to hurt. Doesn't back down from anybody and his mobility is adequate. Good positionally but can get caught out of position for that hit and take questionable penalties.

He has no offensive upside either. His overall puck skills I think are underwhelming, which will hold him back. With that said, he's not going to be counted for that if he does reach his potential. He's going to be that gritty defender that blocks shots, play a physical style and clear the crease so to speak.

He wore an "A" this past Marlies season for a reason. He's a stand up guy, even as a pro rookie out of college. With everything said, I think he can be a good #7-8 defender this season and a #5-6-7 in the near future. He's all ready 24 years old and going to be 25 by the end of the 2016 season. I think he'll probably start on the Marlies and finish with the Leafs by the end of the season.

EDIT:

Here's a youtube of pretty much what he brings. A lot of standing up for teammates, grit and tenacity. He's a tough kid.

Thanks for the write up, and the video, cant watch it at work but I'll definately take a look. I have read a lot that says he's a character guy, and thats always welcome as far as I'm concerned. Also impressive wearing an A as a rookie.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I thought about him as a 6-7 guy this year, I don't rule it out with a strong camp.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
So from what I gather, it looks like the 6/7 spots could be a battle between Mac, Granberg and Percy as the realistic options coming from the marlies. Safe assumption?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So from what I gather, it looks like the 6/7 spots could be a battle between Mac, Granberg and Percy as the realistic options coming from the marlies. Safe assumption?

Gardiner, Rielly and Phaneuf on the left. Polak, Robidas on the right. One spot available and Phaneuf can play both left and right if needed.

Granberg seems like the top choice for the #6 role. He's a righty and the Leafs seem to think he's definitely ready. Holzer is another gunning for that RHD bottom pairing role.

Percy will be back with the Marlies. He's only 21 and making him play low end minutes when he still needs to play a lot to get better at both ends of the ice would be better for him. Look for him to be a first call up and a likely 2016-2017 roster spot.

MacWilliam doesn't have much upside to his game, in my opinion, so it makes sense for him to be there in that spot.

So really, MacWilliam, Granberg and Holzer are realistically all vying for those bottom pairing spots this season. The younger players will need to really impress to stick around.

Phaneuffan3

Beleafer
Aug 22, 2011
The HC - Ontario
Gardiner, Rielly and Phaneuf on the left. Polak, Robidas on the right. One spot available and Phaneuf can play both left and right if needed.

Granberg seems like the top choice for the #6 role. He's a righty and the Leafs seem to think he's definitely ready. Holzer is another gunning for that RHD bottom pairing role.

Percy will be back with the Marlies. He's only 21 and making him play low end minutes when he still needs to play a lot to get better at both ends of the ice would be better for him. Look for him to be a first call up and a likely 2016-2017 roster spot.

MacWilliam doesn't have much upside to his game, in my opinion, so it makes sense for him to be there in that spot.

So really, MacWilliam, Granberg and Holzer are realistically all vying for those bottom pairing spots this season. The younger players will need to really impress to stick around.

Ah, I did forget about Holzer. There hasn't been much hype around him after he got his call up trial and was put on the top pairing with Dion. I took a look at his stats from last season, they look respectible. He also brought a nice physical element too. Between Holzer and Mac, how do they stack up against each other in the mobility department?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
MacWilliam could get the 6th spot if they keep Phaneuf on the right side and dump Franson. It's really either him or Percy as the #3 left D on the depth chart as it is.

Granberg starting up makes little sense unless they move Phaneuf to LD and trade Franson. Otherwise, there are at least 3 RD ahead of him at the depth chart. It makes no sense to keep him up as a healthy scratch. If injuries hit, maybe he'll play... otherwise, Holzer makes more sense as a #7.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Fairly high expectations for a kid that hasn't played a single pro game. Maybe get some seasoning on the Marlies before we throw him to the wolves

Rielly didn't play a single pro game either, and this was last season. I honestly think Finn is ready if not then give him his 9 games and go on from there

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really like MacWilliam and thinks he has more potential than most here believe. I think he can be a #4 guy beside Jake Gardiner in the future.

Man, I love our D prospects

Matt Finn - Morgan Rielly
Jake Gardiner - Andrew MacWilliam
Stuart Percy - Petter Granberg

That doesn't even factor in Dion Phaneuf, nor guys like Loov, Nilsson, and Knodel (another under-rated guy)

If it can shape into something like;

Morgan Rielly - Dion Phaneuf
Jake Gardiner - Matt Finn
Stuart Percy - Andrew MacWilliam/Petter Granberg

Oh boy... that makes me excited

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
My buddy played against him in college. Said he was one of the most feared hitters in college. He seems to think he maxes out as a 7

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Mark Fraser upside is about right. I think he could become a full time NHLer, but as a #6/7 dman. Granberg, Finn and Percy are all stronger prospects by good margins IMO, but MacWilliam could still be an NHLer.

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
I don't know why, but I absolutely love this guy. I don't really know what I'm expecting, probably similar to what others have posted, #6/7 with huge physical upside. All the video I've watched of him makes me think he'll be a dominating physical presence, even with the limited he'll get. Not necessarily good with the puck, but solid in his own end.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Watched the video. Loved the hits. I wonder whether he can find a role as the 7th dman.

If we hang onto Franson our top 6 seems pretty set:

Phaneuf- Robidas

Gardiner- Franson

Rielly- Polak

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
MacWilliam could get the 6th spot if they keep Phaneuf on the right side and dump Franson. It's really either him or Percy as the #3 left D on the depth chart as it is.

Granberg starting up makes little sense unless they move Phaneuf to LD and trade Franson. Otherwise, there are at least 3 RD ahead of him at the depth chart. It makes no sense to keep him up as a healthy scratch. If injuries hit, maybe he'll play... otherwise, Holzer makes more sense as a #7.
I can't see Phaneuf playing on the left side. He always plays on the right side and it'd be foolish to change that now. The bottom pairing LD spot is up for grabs, in other words.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad