Andrew MacDonald

Status
Not open for further replies.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I thought you were one of his biggest supporters last year? What has changed since last season?

I apologize in advance if I have the wrong poster because these avatars change so often and I've only been here a short time.

You're correct, I been a supporter because I want to see him succeed. He's not getting the job done this year, mostly because he can't handle top minutes and playing against the other teams top lines. He's averaging like 27 minutes a game, he's not good enough for that. If he played around 18 minutes a game on the 2nd pairing, I think he would be fine.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
If he played around 18 minutes a game on the 2nd pairing, I think he would be fine.

I used to believe that too, unfortunately it's been years since he played decent hockey. I think he has completely forgotten how to do anything out there. This is an example of someone getting ruined by poor coaching. This type of thing happens.... And AMAC is the latest example. Cap needs the Axe before another drastic case of this pops up.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I used to believe that too, unfortunately it's been years since he played decent hockey. I think he has completely forgotten how to do anything out there. This is an example of someone getting ruined by poor coaching. This type of thing happens.... And AMAC is the latest example. Cap needs the Axe before another drastic case of this pops up.

Were you around last season? I was pretty critical of his play but I felt alone in beating him up. Oh well, people certainly do seem to be getting it now. I want to believe he is simply over his head, but if he is damaged goods that would suck. He should be on the third pair.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

In the GDT, I said Capuano needs to go because this team is constantly making the same mistakes over and over. They need a coach who will make sure the players learn from their mistakes. I just don't see Capuano ever doing that.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Were you around last season? I was pretty critical of his play but I felt alone in beating him up. Oh well, people certainly do seem to be getting it now. I want to believe he is simply over his head, but if he is damaged goods that would suck. He should be on the third pair.

You beat up on everyone dude ;)

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
You're correct, I been a supporter because I want to see him succeed. He's not getting the job done this year, mostly because he can't handle top minutes and playing against the other teams top lines. He's averaging like 27 minutes a game, he's not good enough for that. If he played around 18 minutes a game on the 2nd pairing, I think he would be fine.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if I had the right poster. I think everyone that is here, no matter how negative they may sound always wants every Islander too succeed.

My only point was Amac was never good. I don't care what role you give him. The sooner he leaves this team the sooner we will improve with the caveat of not this year, because we are SO thin and are already breaking in a green rookie this year.

BTW nice avatar, I actually lived out there last year. Cool city and best show ever. I used too eat at the Los Pollos Hermanos.:)

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

I was around last year. I think this may be a case where I was slower than you in the 'give up on AMAC' line of thinking. Not Cappy slow, mind you.

Last year in the beginning I saw how poor his play was (though not nearly as bad as this years play) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Half season, truncated schedule, long layoff, lockout, short training camp, too many minutes, blah blah blah. By mid season I was criticizing him, and by the end of the year I really had it with him, BUT held out hope that with reduced minutes and less responsibility he could be an okay defenceman or a situational defenceman at worst. Well 12 games into this season, I'm fairly certain that isn't even a possibility for him as a BEST case scenario.

He's gone.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
You beat up on everyone dude ;)

:shakehead Not by a long shot. Tavares, Hamonic, Bailey is out of my doghouse... Love the Martin, Cizikas, Cluster, new Grabs... You crazy using the word "everyone."

Note I did not include Bettman or Shanahan on my list. :D

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I was around last year. I think this may be a case where I was slower than you in the 'give up on AMAC' line of thinking. Not Cappy slow, mind you.

Last year in the beginning I saw how poor his play was (though not nearly as bad as this years play) and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Half season, truncated schedule, long layoff, lockout, short training camp, too many minutes, blah blah blah. By mid season I was criticizing him, and by the end of the year I really had it with him, BUT held out hope that with reduced minutes and less responsibility he could be an okay defenceman or a situational defenceman at worst. Well 12 games into this season, I'm fairly certain that isn't even a possibility for him as a BEST case scenario.

He's gone.

When they did not acquire a top 4 defenseman this summer my hope hit an iceberg. If they don't change something back there, this season is over, and how ridiculous that they acquire Vanek now only to lose him when he sees how Mickey Mouse this org is? I hope I am wrong but something smells rotten in Denmark.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013

I was around but you can see by my huge post count,:D that I probably did not get the same beatdown you did.
I have never posted a positive thing about Amac and pretty much Hickey and still receive a beatdown on that.
I'm cool with it though, as I'm sure you are as well. I don't want to have a winning record. I want the Lord Stanleys Cup. That is all that matters IMO.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Thanks, I wasn't sure if I had the right poster. I think everyone that is here, no matter how negative they may sound always wants every Islander too succeed.

My only point was Amac was never good. I don't care what role you give him. The sooner he leaves this team the sooner we will improve with the caveat of not this year, because we are SO thin and are already breaking in a green rookie this year.

BTW nice avatar, I actually lived out there last year. Cool city and best show ever. I used too eat at the Los Pollos Hermanos.:)

I disagree about Amac never being good.

I had the White Goodman avatar for a while, I might have to bring it back. Breaking Bad is easily my favorite show of all time and I watched some great shows. I didn't even know Los Pollos Hermanos was real lol.

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
I disagree about Amac never being good.

I had the White Goodman avatar for a while, I might have to bring it back. Breaking Bad is easily my favorite show of all time and I watched some great shows. I didn't even know Los Pollos Hermanos was real lol.

It's not. In Albuquerque it is called Twisters but where it was filmed they still left up the los pollos hermanos logo on the inside wall. Twisters is the best somewhat fast food New Mexican joint. Oh and Amac sucks:)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
If you got rid of Andy, we'd all be screaming to have him back with a week's time.

You WANT this guy as your #5 Dman - errors and all. You can bet your bottom dollar that the boys in that locker room value him and his play immensely.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
not that MacD has been bad on the PP or anything, but I don't understand why he's getting 1st unit PP time in Viz absence. seems to me that job should go to Donnovan. not only will it put donnovan in the best spot to succeed & gain some more confidence. but Donnovan is clearly the best option we have at this point.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
If you got rid of Andy, we'd all be screaming to have him back with a week's time.

You WANT this guy as your #5 Dman - errors and all. You can bet your bottom dollar that the boys in that locker room value him and his play immensely.

Yup. His confidence is shot because he is playing too many minutes against top players. He isn't the elite shut-down defenseman he is being asked to be and it is effecting the rest of his game. Think about how much better Bailey started playing when he was moved to wing. It is the same thing, he couldn't handle all the facets of the role he was being asked to play and it screwed up the rest of his game.

You want to know who else probably values AMac? Every other GM. He will get $3.5M+ from someone in the offseason to be a second pairing dman.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
The Andrew MacDonald situation has to be a sick joke right?

It almost seems like management is trying to boost his trade value.

First he gets the "A" on his sweater over Hamonic, Nielsen and Bailey.

Then he gets #1 defensemen minutes and 1st PP unit time after Vis goes down.

All the while, playing the worst hockey of his career. A liability in all three zones.

What could his return be at the trade deadline?

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

All the while, playing the worst hockey of his career. A liability in all three zones.

I was wondering this as well. A team that doesn't know any better, who sees MacDonald as a relatively young guy who has been playing top-pairing minutes for a long time now, on a team that is coming off of a playoff appearance could offer up a 2nd or something like that. I'd be pretty happy with that at this point.

Although as bad as MacDonald has been, who the hell are we going to replace him with? Carkner? I expect de Haan to get a call up relatively soon. If he plays well, my hope is that MacDonald is put on the trade block and we try to replace one of the picks we lost in the Vanek deal.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I was wondering this as well. A team that doesn't know any better, who sees MacDonald as a relatively young guy who has been playing top-pairing minutes for a long time now, on a team that is coming off of a playoff appearance could offer up a 2nd or something like that. I'd be pretty happy with that at this point.

Although as bad as MacDonald has been, who the hell are we going to replace him with? Carkner? I expect de Haan to get a call up relatively soon. If he plays well, my hope is that MacDonald is put on the trade block and we try to replace one of the picks we lost in the Vanek deal.

Ottawa is still around right. Maybe they'll give up a first round pick for AMAC and PMB like the did for Comrie and Campoli a few years ago. :)

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
I have not read the thread yet but...

I am not sure why Amac gets so much hate. He is being put into a position to fail by Snow and to a lesser extent Capuano. Amac would make a fine number 4/5 dman playing 18-20 min a game. Amac is NOT a number 1/2 defensemen or PP quaterback two roles he us asked to do on a nightly basis by Snow.

Complaining about Amac really should be complaining about Snow never addressing a mostly AHL level defense since around 2009-2009.

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I have not read the thread yet but...

I am not sure why Amac gets so much hate. He is being put into a position to fail by Snow and to a lesser extent Capuano. Amac would make a fine number 4/5 dman playing 18-20 min a game. Amac is NOT a number 1/2 defensemen or PP quaterback two roles he us asked to do on a nightly basis by Snow.

Complaining about Amac really should be complaining about Snow never addressing a mostly AHL level defense since around 2009-2009.

So if Amac played less he would suddenly become effective? Not sure I agree. He'll be looking for a MAJOR payday this summer and I don't think the Islanders should be the team paying.

He is a terribly flawed player and the role he has on this team reminds me of the Brad Boyes debacle. Playing time is 100% unwarranted.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
So if Amac played less he would suddenly become effective? Not sure I agree. He'll be looking for a MAJOR payday this summer and I don't think the Islanders should be the team paying.

He is a terribly flawed player and the role he has on this team reminds me of the Brad Boyes debacle. Playing time is 100% unwarranted.

He plays against the top players on every team. He should be playing against 2nd and 3rd liners. That would make a big difference in how effective he is. The problem is this team has noone even close to Amac other than Hamonic and Viz in terms of defensive play. The defense is so poorly built it makes Amac look worse than he really is.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

If the Islanders are in a playoff race, there's ZERO CHANCE they trade AMAC. He's been the top minute defenseman for the last FIVE YEARS. This isn't new. Cappy loves MacDonald.

And he's no worse this year than any other year. He's the same player, he's just playing disproportionately important minutes, compounded without Streit/Visnovsky this year (and with Strait out).

I'm sure he's seen as a good defenseman around the league. He IS a good defenseman, a reliable defenseman for the most part. As a bottom pairing guy, he can play on any team in the league and be effective.

He's the new whipping boy. (I personally had Moulson/Boyes on my list since last year before Snow finally addressed my concerns - thanks for reading Garth!)

Nobody would dislike AMAC if we had this:

Pietrangelo - Weber
Visnovsky - Hamonic
MacDonald - Hickey

Now. How do we get those guys. Without giving up a #1 pick or Strome or Nelson or any other prospect we like?

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
I'm sure he's seen as a good defenseman around the league. He IS a good defenseman, a reliable defenseman for the most part. As a bottom pairing guy, he can play on any team in the league and be effective.

This is where we disagree big time.

Playing against top forwards doesn't excuse the inability to clear the puck, handle the puck in the offensive zone, find your man in front of the goal and use your body & be physical.

Sure, he is a whipping boy. But for good reason in my opinion. I blame him less than I blame Snow/Capuano for utilizing him in this role bc he simply is not a good hockey player. Mistakes would still be made if he was on the 3rd pairing playing 15-18 minutes a night (and costly ones at that).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Didn't read the rest of the thread, but AMac is a good defenseman, just in over his head.

To say he is a bad defenseman is ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->