Player Discussion: Andrew Ladd

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am up for being surprised. I hope Ladd proves me wrong that he can still have a positive impact on a team long term.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Ladd played well this game. I think he's what we need if we go long..he's a heavy hitter and has a heavy shot with quick release...he adds intangibles that we don't have right now

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Ladd played well this game. I think he's what we need if we go long..he's a heavy hitter and has a heavy shot with quick release...he adds intangibles that we don't have right now
I hope Ladd can be our David Backes.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Ladd is here and so be it but, with all due respect, unless "intangibles" is the same thing as goals, he isn't what we need.

Last edited:

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Unlikely barring any injuries. He has Johnston, Dal Colle, and Kuhnackl ahead of him right now.

Man, it really says something when all three of those guys (and naturally Komarov too) have gotten the nod ahead of him.

I mean, it's not really a surprise, but if there was any hope that his playoff experience my just get him into action, it definitely seems like these playoffs have done nothing but show him that it's the end of the line.

At least with this franchise.

The question remains as to how Lou rids this franchise of that cap hit in time for next season?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The last rumour was a Ladd for Parise centerpiece deal at the TDL. I don't know if that will be revisited. But unless Ladd goes off for LTIR, which is not impossible given his chronic injuries, the 5.5 is a bad lingering contract from the Snow years.

Reactions: Hogan Shannon

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I mean in his limited time on the ice this year, I don't think he looked out of place? Was it just me? Obviously not as good as he used to be, but it seemed like he was fine. But hey, maybe it's just me.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
With Ladd not seeing any action, and only middling players in front of him on the depth chart, you have to think Lou is letting him hang around for the experience and one last run.

If I had to guess, Lou will let Ladd know (if he hasn't already) that he has zero chance to play for the Isles again, given his unreliability and the litany of injuries that have depleted his skating and skill.

Lou probably tries to shop him around in the offseason, as a courtesy to Ladd if he still wants to play, but it is unlikely that they will find a palatable deal. Especially not in a flat-cap world.

From there I assume Lou encourages Ladd to go to LTIR and collect his money in full, while at home with his family, fishing or perhaps he can take on a role with the Isles if he wants to settle down here or Lou recommends him for another hockey role with a team or college.

Otherwise he will be banished to the AHL and ride the buses until the Isles find another way to get out from under his contract. All things being equal, I can't see how he doesn't opt to go home or start the next phase of his post-hockey life.

With all of Ladd's injuries, it should be fairly easy to get the doctor's to sign off on LTIR with a failed physical.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I mean in his limited time on the ice this year, I don't think he looked out of place? Was it just me? Obviously not as good as he used to be, but it seemed like he was fine. But hey, maybe it's just me.

He hasn't been consistently healthy in years and does not skate well. When he's healthy he can play a little bit in the right scenario, but for how long? We saw him briefly and he was trying to prove he could still play. How long will Ladd be able to throw the body and play with that type of effort? I'm doubtful he can do it over the long haul. With the addition of Pageau, the need for a shoot first, but defensively weak and a poor skating winger has diminished. The team isn't searching for offense right now so he's not needed.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He hasn't been consistently healthy in years and does not skate well. When he's healthy he can play a little bit in the right scenario, but for how long? We saw him briefly and he was trying to prove he could still play. How long will Ladd be able to throw the body and play with that type of effort? I'm doubtful he can do it over the long haul. With the addition of Pageau, the need for a shoot first, but defensively weak and a poor skating winger has diminished. The team isn't searching for offense right now so he's not needed.
Ladd’s problem here since his recall from the AHL is as the game gets into the late stages, if Ladd’s been getting a regular shift, he has nothing left in the tank for the 3rd period.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What MJF said... the longer Ladd plays, the more gassed he looks.
You can't have a guy making $5.4M who needs sheltered minutes.

Ladd looks halfway decent in the AHL because they don't skate as well down there as they do in the NHL. When Ladd comes back up here he's a 12 minute a game player.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
From a player stand point, this is the one risk when it comes to signing deals you know isn’t your worth because you want one last pay day before you retire. If something happens or your game drops off... you basically will never get to play meaningful hockey again. Not because you can’t hack it in a lesser role, but because your contract is immovable and now a problem to have on the books.

Not just him but plenty of other guys have had their careers cut years short by asking or taking too much. Some guys may not care, but some would do anything to get a few years of quality hockey back, not to mention a chance to win. Sometimes greed backfires.

Reactions: TMI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->