Andrew Ference

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Ference has said he's not going to return to Boston next year with salary cap, etc.

He's a UFA in July and I'm sure most teams will give him an offer. Do you want Detroit to give him one?

I'd personally love to have Ference in Detroit, but only if we're not overpaying him.

Would you want Ference in a Red Wings jersey? If so, what would be your price?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No, good player though. If we were forced to shed some people in a big trade or something and needed a guy again, he would be interesting. But that would have to be a pretty massive move, just don't see that happening.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
if we were able to move Cola, then yes, definitely.

I'd like him either way. I think he is a gamer. Guy doesn't quit.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Where does he possibly even fit?

He'd fit only if Detroit moved two bodies in the top 6.

Last season, signing a guy like Ference may have made sense before the year started... now, not so much. Ference isn't going to sign somewhere to sit on the bench half the season, if you want a player like that you need to go after Commodore or Lilja again, not a guy like Ference who is capable of playing night in and night out.

If you want Ference, the question is, who are you moving? Cola is obviously the first guy you let go of, but you still need to move someone else, and Quincey may be too valuable in the eyes of Holland to move, so that option may not be as valid as you'd hope.

Either way, in signing Ference, you have a logjam of players on D, and not even in a good way considering he's not a top pairing d-man you have to make room for, he's kind of just a bottom line guy....

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
He'd fit only if Detroit moved two bodies in the top 6.

Last season, signing a guy like Ference may have made sense before the year started... now, not so much. Ference isn't going to sign somewhere to sit on the bench half the season, if you want a player like that you need to go after Commodore or Lilja again, not a guy like Ference who is capable of playing night in and night out.

If you want Ference, the question is, who are you moving? Cola is obviously the first guy you let go of, but you still need to move someone else, and Quincey may be too valuable in the eyes of Holland to move, so that option may not be as valid as you'd hope.

Either way, in signing Ference, you have a logjam of players on D, and not even in a good way considering he's not a top pairing d-man you have to make room for, he's kind of just a bottom line guy....

My idea was pretty much get rid of Coliacavo and Quincey. I would say Ericsson, but he has a NTC. Obviously Kronwall, Smith, Kindl and DeKeyser are not going anywhere

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
No. DET is set at defense.

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Kindl
Smith - Quincey
Lashoff

with several solid prospects lined up behind them

Yzerberg

May 6, 2013
Western Kentucky
My idea was pretty much get rid of Coliacavo and Quincey. I would say Ericsson, but he has a NTC. Obviously Kronwall, Smith, Kindl and DeKeyser are not going anywhere

Carlo is injury prone and Quincey is dumbass prone so I understand the thinking there. I don't agree with it but I do understand it.

Question is why would you want to move Ericsson, a legit 1st pairing NHL defensemen, to make room for a guy like Andrew Ference?

RedWingsForPresident

Nov 20, 2012
Indiana
Carlo is injury prone and Quincey is dumbass prone so I understand the thinking there. I don't agree with it but I do understand it.

Question is why would you want to move Ericsson, a legit 1st pairing NHL defensemen, to make room for a guy like Andrew Ference?

I've just never been an Ericsson fan. I think he turns the puck over way too much and constantly makes mistakes infront of the net. He also gets beat to every puck in the corner.

I don't know, I just think that Ericsson is still tradeable at this point and we should be able to get some value out of him now instead of 5 years from now when he's still at the same mediocre level of play.

Ference could give 3 solid years with Detroit IMO

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Ference would be the type of guy I'd like to see paired with Smith. He might get top 4 money in free agency and I don't know if he's looking for multiple years or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad