Andrew Barroway - Coyotes majority owner.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Yeah, a lot of those same sources who said this deal was dead also said the Coyotes are moving ASAP. Can't trust any of these clowns.

Have the Ice Arizona guys not been forthcoming since they were involved? They haven't led us astray as far as I know. The twitter "reporters" just throw something against the wall to see if it sticks. If it does, they gain credibility. If not they're betting you'll have forgotten by the next time they chuck something at the wall.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Nashville just paid Weber something like $64 million up front on that deal. He's going nowhere.

Don't **** with dominant teams.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
The only time you don't take BPA (a term which usually exclusively used in reference to the draft), is if you're a sure-fire cup contender, and you're trading prospects to acquire a player(s) that can push you over the edge. The Oilers are not even remotely close to competing for a playoff spot, let alone the cup.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
HSHAr6K.jpg

Interesting presser. Barroway mentioned building for the future several times. Maloney mentioned he's not interested in a quick fix. No interest in bringing in a quick fix just to gain 5 points in the standings. A lot of talk about stability and continuing to build the franchise for long-term success.

Hopefully they have their sights set on McEichel.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Barroway isn't dumb. He watched the Islanders, Lightning, and Penguins have their fortunes and futures change almost overnight due to high draft picks. He gets it. McDavid adds $50m to the valuation of the team the moment he is drafted.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Can someone give me the dumbed down version of the sale? The Yotes were losing money, so Leblanc, Gosbee and co. decide to sell 50% to cover losses and increase layer payroll?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Can someone give me the dumbed down version of the sale? The Yotes were losing money, so Leblanc, Gosbee and co. decide to sell 50% to cover losses and increase layer payroll?

The plan was always to attract new investors (money). That money would be used to pay down debt that wasn't sustainable. IA intended to do this by rehabilitating the Coyotes books to an acceptable level to where they weren't a complete money pit. The NHL's new revenue sharing and TV contract helped in this regard. Barroway brings with him tax breaks and access to the NHL's credit line, which supposedly has a pretty sweet interest rate.

IA has an out clause for everything they put in, and those loans would have been made whole by the relocation sale. Now, with presumably less debt load, there's less incentive to move and they will have an easier time keeping the team in AZ.

Barroway is investing in 1/30th of the NHL moreso than the Phoenix area. I'm fine with that as long as he doesn't turn the Coyotes into the NHL equivalent of the Marlins.

Not out of the woods yet, but it's a start.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
HSHAr6K.jpg

Interesting presser. Barroway mentioned building for the future several times. Maloney mentioned he's not interested in a quick fix. No interest in bringing in a quick fix just to gain 5 points in the standings. A lot of talk about stability and continuing to build the franchise for long-term success.

Hopefully they have their sights set on McEichel.

Where is the presser? Don't see it on Yotes site?

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
The plan was always to attract new investors (money). That money would be used to pay down debt that wasn't sustainable. IA intended to do this by rehabilitating the Coyotes books to an acceptable level to where they weren't a complete money pit. The NHL's new revenue sharing and TV contract helped in this regard. Barroway brings with him tax breaks and access to the NHL's credit line, which supposedly has a pretty sweet interest rate.

IA has an out clause for everything they put in, and those loans would have been made whole by the relocation sale. Now, with presumably less debt load, there's less incentive to move and they will have an easier time keeping the team in AZ.

Barroway is investing in 1/30th of the NHL moreso than the Phoenix area. I'm fine with that as long as he doesn't turn the Coyotes into the NHL equivalent of the Marlins.

Not out of the woods yet, but it's a start.

So in theory we should be nearing to break even within the next 2-3 years?

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
According to Gosbee and LeBlanc, the plan all along has been to reach profitability some time around the end of Year 2 to some time in Year 3.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
So in theory we should be nearing to break even within the next 2-3 years?

Only with major upticks in attendance, corporate sales, and sponsorships. It can happen fast. Just look at Pittsburgh.

Realistically, it will probably take ten years of entertaining, competitive hockey to cement this team in the valley. And I think the NHL will continue to bend over backward to see that it happens. So long as the effort (and money) required to keep the team here is less than what an expansion team is worth, you can count on owners finding a way to keep AZ where it's at.

They basically gave away the team to a bunch of small time Canadians last time. It was pretty unprecedented. Don't underestimate how far Bettman will go to keep a market he wants. He was forced out of Atlanta by the building tenant. I think AZ is his Alamo, for now.

If the owners get cut a check for a billion dollar expansion round they can pay down the debt further. I think the NHL goes to 32 soon for that very reason; a handful of teams would really benefit from the cash infusion it'd bring.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
They basically gave away the team to a bunch of small time Canadians last time. It was pretty unprecedented. Don't underestimate how far Bettman will go to keep a market he wants. He was forced out of Atlanta by the building tenant. I think AZ is his Alamo, for now.

Agreed

If the owners get cut a check for a billion dollar expansion round they can pay down the debt further. I think the NHL goes to 32 soon for that very reason; a handful of teams would really benefit from the cash infusion it'd bring.

Plus, with GMDM looking towards the future with the franchise, we could have McEIchel on our hands soon

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Only with major upticks in attendance, corporate sales, and sponsorships. It can happen fast. Just look at Pittsburgh.

Realistically, it will probably take ten years of entertaining, competitive hockey to cement this team in the valley. And I think the NHL will continue to bend over backward to see that it happens. So long as the effort (and money) required to keep the team here is less than what an expansion team is worth, you can count on owners finding a way to keep AZ where it's at.

Nice post, XX.

Ironically.... that building owner in Atlanta (ASG) is now getting out.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
League should expand to ATL again then.

Expansion rounds:

Vegas/QC - 400m, 600m
Houston/Atlanta - 450m, 450m
Seattle/Toronto 2 - 600m, 750m

3.25 billion reasons the Coyotes will stay in AZ, even if it's a pain in the ass every five years.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Presser and Q&A are up on the website.

Also a Maloney video:
[NHL]715267[/NHL]

Barroway specifically said the Coyotes have "A good nucleus of young players and some exciting prospects", so I think we can all see where this is headed.

Full, unedited session from Craig Morgan http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/q-a-with-coyotes-majority-owner-andrew-barroway-010215

George Gosbee said that $30 million would be injected back into the team from this sale, with as much as $9 million going to payroll. What can you tell us about the financial structure of this deal? Does it reduce debt?
Barroway: Yes, it will reduce the debt. That's all I want to say on that.

Last edited:

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Barroway also confirms that GMDM and Tipp are safe.

I like it. Both deserve a full chance with a competitive budget.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad