Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Yzerman can turn him into an asset via trade, all the power to him. It's not like he's costing us wins. We're on top of the Atlantic. It feels like a case where we're trying to move Sustr out. Problem, of course, is we need him to play better (Connolly) before any team is going to offer anything at all.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Ooooo goody more Sustr bashing!!

Remember when he gave up the Stanley Cup GWG to the Chicago Blackhawks? And remember when there was some variation of statement by him that he doesn't focus on plays like that? I don't know where I'd find it but it told me everything I needed to know that he stunk at his job and would continue to stink because he would look at the game tape to fix it.

Lecavalier and Fedotenko just watched game 7 of the finals for the first time last week when they were here. That was a good moment they didn't rewatch, some players just don't do that stuff. I'm sure the coaching staff is showing him things in video sessions like every other player.

As for his play, he hasn't been great but he hasn't been the disaster he's made out to be. He's a -5 but has had some bad luck on a few of those and he's still being used in a defensive first role with almost twice as many defensive zone starts than offensive.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don’t know why I even tried to defend Sustr. My point was/is he is not the source of all of our defensive problems. He barely plays anymore and pinning so much on him seemingly ignores other problems we have. I don’t like people being bullied, and it feels like Sustr is being kind of bullied around these parts. I know many of you feel he deserves it. Why is Cooper playing him at all?

He's just not a good hockey player, which is a separate issue from our occasional defensive woes. The Sustr issue is just that, now that we have better options, there's no reason for him to be on the team.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
He's just not a good hockey player, which is a separate issue from our occasional defensive woes. The Sustr issue is just that, now that we have better options, there's no reason for him to be on the team.
That doesn’t answer, why is Cooper playing him? I suppose none of you can know why, but you may have an idea. I am not arguing that he is deserving of playing, I am asking why he is playing if he is such a liability. He only played less than 4 minutes last game, so why play him at all?

Eta: thanks for not being a dick

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That doesn’t answer, why is Cooper playing him? I suppose none of you can know why, but you may have an idea. I am not arguing that he is deserving of playing, I am asking why he is playing if he is such a liability. He only played less than 4 minutes last game, so why play him at all?

Eta: thanks for not being a dick

I do what I can. ;)

But yeah, my theory is we're trying to move him. In the cases of Connolly, Malone, Purcell, and probably Carle, we gave guys waaaaay more icetime than they deserved because it turned out we were trying to move them. (Malone and Purcell went from getting solid minutes to being healthy scratches after the trade deadline.)

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I get it we all hate Sustr but If SY could have dumped him by now I think he would of I don't think another team in the league wants him and so we are stuck with him.
Niemi got picked up. We just don’t want to let him go for free, so we play him? (potentially lowering his value)

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Niemi got picked up. We just don’t want to let him go for free, so we play him? (potentially lowering his value)

I think we're trying to raise his value, it's just Sustr's not doing us any favors. Right now he's not really hurting us, so I think SFY is being patient with it. It was mentioned a couple of times at the first of the season that we were trying to move him. And we definitely have a history of at least trying to showcase players before we move them.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I think we're trying to raise his value, it's just Sustr's not doing us any favors. Right now he's not really hurting us, so I think SFY is being patient with it. It was mentioned a couple of times at the first of the season that we were trying to move him. And we definitely have a history of at least trying to showcase players before we move them.

I don't think it is possible to raise his value lol

Reactions: Stammertime91

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Is it not possible that he could play better with more time? Maybe sitting so much is making him worse.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is it not possible that he could play better with more time? Maybe sitting so much is making him worse.

Playing him over Girardi would hurt the team. I think we're trying to keep him active, while trying to mask what a liability he is. But he is a liability, so it's a balancing act.

Sooner or later some team's going to lose a RHD or two, at a bad time, and they might come calling. For us, I think we're past the point where Sustr's even our best depth option.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
If not showcasing the only possible reason to keep him around is to have options in case of injuries. But as DFC said, not sure he's even the guy next in line anymore...

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Clicked on the thread and it opened on the first page. Seeing how high the hopes were back then and what he has become is very sad.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Ugh... I read back over it too. Every offseason you can see the expectations get lower and lower.
Who wouldn't get excited over a 6'7" RHD? Sadly this is all we got. Now people are going nuts over Sosunov, which wouldn't happen if he wasn't a giant. Let's just hope he'll be more of a success than Sustr.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Who wouldn't get excited over a 6'7" RHD? Sadly this is all we got. Now people are going nuts over Sosunov, which wouldn't happen if he wasn't a giant. Let's just hope he'll be more of a success than Sustr.
My bet is Sosunov never takes a shift in the NHL.

TheNorth86

Nov 15, 2016
I think the staff is only playing to Sustr in order to make a trade to a team that needs a third pairing RHD. KK is probably going to be the primary 7D at the midway point of the season.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Reading that first page is golden. Lmao.

"He's been pretty damn impressive."
"He's got a very high ceiling."
"He's no slouch on D either."
"He has freakish hands for such a big defender."
"Journeyman career"

Obviously I'm not holding anybody to those comments, but...

Funny-Laughing-Gif-Picture.gif

giphy.gif

v0Eg5_s-200x150.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->