Player Discussion: Andrej Sustr

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
He's a semi-serviceable bottom pair defenseman. IMO, he's not as bad as many here make out, but he does have his drawbacks for sure. He's actually got some offensive sense to him though and can make timely pinches along the boards and is not afraid to shoot, even though he doesn't have much of a shot. Funny enough his main problems are physical ones. Slow, non-physical, not much of a shot. He does have his long reach going for him, and I think plays fairly intelligent most of the time.

I'd rather we trade Garrison than Sustr in the offseason though because of the differences in their salaries. What type of defesemen SHOULD we have for that 4.6m vs the 1.45m for Sustr?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
He's a semi-serviceable bottom pair defenseman. IMO, he's not as bad as many here make out, but he does have his drawbacks for sure. He's actually got some offensive sense to him though and can make timely pinches along the boards and is not afraid to shoot, even though he doesn't have much of a shot. Funny enough his main problems are physical ones. Slow, non-physical, not much of a shot. He does have his long reach going for him, and I think plays fairly intelligent most of the time.

I'd rather we trade Garrison than Sustr in the offseason though because of the differences in their salaries. What type of defesemen SHOULD we have for that 4.6m vs the 1.45m for Sustr?

He handles the puck like it's a live grenade. Despite his size, he may be the worst board player on the team.

Garrison staying or going is immaterial to Sustr's staying on this team. The two are not related. I would like Garrison to go for the cap relief, but I still think he is a better player and someone we can actually trust in important situations, while Sustr is "hold your breath for 45-50 seconds and hope we make it out of this shift".

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

He is a turnover machine. I have no idea what he's trying to do with the puck most of the time. I cringe when I see him on the ice. He's terrible and Garrison's salary has zero to do with Sustr's suckage.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How much of an upgrade is Sustr over Blujus or Witkowski? I'm guessing not worth the difference in pay.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
How much of an upgrade is Sustr over Blujus or Witkowski? I'm guessing not worth the difference in pay.

I don't like Witkowski in more than a #7 role, and that for a limited time. I'd be willing to see what we have in Blujus after all of these years, though. Or even another prospect.

I mean, no one thought Dotchin would fit in but so far he's done well. Maybe next guy on the depth chart is not exactly what we need to look for.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He is a turnover machine. I have no idea what he's trying to do with the puck most of the time. I cringe when I see him on the ice. He's terrible and Garrison's salary has zero to do with Sustr's suckage.

What about Garrison's suckage, does that not factor in at all?

Yes he has a lot of turnovers but all our defenders have more giveaways than takeaways. Sustr and Coburn are -26 in that, Garrison -25, Hedman -24, Dotchin is -13 already and he's only played 1/3 the games, Stralman is the only good one at -4.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What about Garrison's suckage, does that not factor in at all?

Yes he has a lot of turnovers but all our defenders have more giveaways than takeaways. Sustr and Coburn are -26 in that, Garrison -25, Hedman -24, Dotchin is -13 already and he's only played 1/3 the games, Stralman is the only good one at -4.

Is that you Sustr?

Garrison's suckage is separate from Sustr's hot garbage. Sorry dude but you or your cousin or friend or whatever he is to you...he is awful.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Is that you Sustr?

Garrison's suckage is separate from Sustr's hot garbage. Sorry dude but you or your cousin or friend or whatever he is to you...he is awful.

This is all I hear, how terrible Sustr is. He's hot garbage, a dumpster fire or straight trash. Which on some nights I agree with, last night was bad luck due to deflections, but the fact of the matter he isn't compared to the rest of our D. Sustr has been in the top 4 in all metrics the past 2 seasons, a lot of times top 3, except hits and +/- while getting high defensive deployments . For someone so bad how is he better than anybody on the defense in any stat? Sustr is far from a top defender but on this team he has played closer to the top than bottom all while being one of the lowest paid.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
This is all I hear, how terrible Sustr is. He's hot garbage, a dumpster fire or straight trash. Which on some nights I agree with, last night was bad luck due to deflections, but the fact of the matter he isn't compared to the rest of our D. Sustr has been in the top 4 in all metrics the past 2 seasons, a lot of times top 3, except hits and +/- while getting high defensive deployments . For someone so bad how is he better than anybody on the defense in any stat? Sustr is far from a top defender but on this team he has played closer to the top than bottom all while being one of the lowest paid.

Hedman

Stralman

Dotchin
Coburn

Sustr/Garrison/Koekkoek
Witkowski

Dude, he's not good.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I don’t know why I even tried to defend Sustr. My point was/is he is not the source of all of our defensive problems. He barely plays anymore and pinning so much on him seemingly ignores other problems we have. I don’t like people being bullied, and it feels like Sustr is being kind of bullied around these parts. I know many of you feel he deserves it. Why is Cooper playing him at all?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I don’t know why I even tried to defend Sustr. My point was/is he is not the source of all of our defensive problems. He barely plays anymore and pinning so much on him seemingly ignores other problems we have. I don’t like people being bullied, and it feels like Sustr is being kind of bullied around these parts. I know many of you feel he deserves it. Why is Cooper playing him at all?
He's not reading the forums. I don't think he needs you to defend him from "bullying".

When a player messes up, everyone here generally is willing to put the blame where it belongs. But every other player on that backend may make mistakes, but they contribute something positive to the overall team. Sustr doesn't. So he has a shorter leash.

Moreover- you act like all criticism of Sustr comes from that one play. We've had three seasons now of him being complete shit on D - so yeah, people are pretty much done with him right now.

No one has placed all of the issues with our D on him, and I don't know why you keep setting up that strawman.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I don't think anyone is defending Sustr, he is trash, but I've seen people blame him for stuff he didn't do as well just because he's a safe target.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
When it is clear that Sustr's play no longer merits being given playing time or even on the roster, my question to you is this "Is it because Yzerman is wanting to showcase Sustr or is it because Cooper is trying to send a message to Slater K and is going to play Sustr for spite"?

I really don't understand why Sustr is not sent down to Syracuse. He has no confidence right now and there is no way another team would claim him anyway. Sustr needs to play through his mistakes in the minors. He is of no help at the NHL level. That wasn't always the case. He used to be decent on the PK with his reach and went stretches (like last 2 months of last year) where he was an acceptable 3rd pair defenseman.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Or maybe now when almost everybody is shining Sustr‘s flaws are so much more obvious now. Either way it’s not working for him and the team. I agree with sending him down.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
When it is clear that Sustr's play no longer merits being given playing time or even on the roster, my question to you is this "Is it because Yzerman is wanting to showcase Sustr or is it because Cooper is trying to send a message to Slater K and is going to play Sustr for spite"?

I really don't understand why Sustr is not sent down to Syracuse. He has no confidence right now and there is no way another team would claim him anyway. Sustr needs to play through his mistakes in the minors. He is of no help at the NHL level. That wasn't always the case. He used to be decent on the PK with his reach and went stretches (like last 2 months of last year) where he was an acceptable 3rd pair defenseman.

He'd likely get claimed.

I think we are indeed showcasing him. It's just kind of impossible to do while trying to win a game, which often leads to tiny amounts of TOI.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Ooooo goody more Sustr bashing!!

Remember when he gave up the Stanley Cup GWG to the Chicago Blackhawks? And remember when there was some variation of statement by him that he doesn't focus on plays like that? I don't know where I'd find it but it told me everything I needed to know that he stunk at his job and would continue to stink because he would look at the game tape to fix it.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad