Injury Report: Andrej Sekera out indefinitely (torn Achilles)

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
They still have to be under the cap at the start of every season; having $5.5M in dead space for the next two summers makes it pretty hard to maneuver.

I don't know. Other teams seem to manage to operate with guys on LTIR as if that guy wasn't going to be around. If you do have a concrete example of where you are going I'll take a look.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I don't know. Other teams seem to manage to operate with guys on LTIR as if that guy wasn't going to be around. If you do have a concrete example of where you are going I'll take a look.

Hossa? Pronger? Clarkson? Plenty of examples of teams paying to dump LTIR contracts because they need the room and flexibility it gives you to make moves during the summer.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hossa? Pronger? Clarkson? Plenty of examples of teams paying to dump LTIR contracts because they need the room and flexibility it gives you to make moves during the summer.
The problem is Sekera isn't a guaranteed to be on LTIR for the rest of his career. Heck there is no guarantee he's on it all this year.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
That's an interesting theory. Any actual proof?

I'd say the regular parade of teams parting with assets to dump contracts of injured players for cap space is strong proof that just keeping a guy on LTIR year after year is not an optimal strategy.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well, he can't do much NOW either what with the limitations of LTIR.
He can do lots. Can look at not signing Nurse until the start of the year. Can actually start looking at what trades he can make when the year starts. He can look at trading Sekera. He can look at bringing in bringing in a 3mil d-man via trade as that's about the cap space he has if he bridges Nurse and sends JP down as paper transaction. Is Benning waiver eligible? If not that's another 2mil paper transaction allowing a 5mil guy in.
A little premature....no?
Not really. I don't see the defense being that much better than it was last year. Not as it stands right now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'd say the regular parade of teams parting with assets to dump contracts of injured players for cap space is strong proof that just keeping a guy on LTIR year after year is not an optimal strategy.

So you don't have any proof? Got it. :D

There just aren't that many teams struggling to reach the cap floor. If Chia can find a deal of that nature so be it. The only times these deals happen is when the team taking on the contract needs to reach the floor.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So you don't have any proof? Got it. :D

WTAF is wrong with you? You wanted examples of team trading injured guys on long term contracts, I gave you several (and barely scratched the surface). What else do you want?

How about you give me an example of a team hanging on to such a deal over the long term.

There just aren't that many teams struggling to reach the cap floor. If Chia can find a deal of that nature so be it. The only times these deals happen is when the team taking on the contract needs to reach the floor.

Weird how the floor teams are almost never the ones giving up the good assets in these deals when their partners are doing them such a big favour.

Last edited:
Reactions: CornKicker

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I would love to know when this happened--my buddy said he saw him on skates on either Friday or Saturday and he looked fine
Isn’t this an injury that requires immediate or pretty close to immediate surgery to repair? Just going off what I remember reading about when it’s happened to other athletes is that if it’s not done quickly the severed tendon can curl up into the leg or something. Clearly I’m not a doctor and don’t know the medical terms but it’s not something you wait around on or hope for a better second opinion. I’m sure this happened very recently.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
WTAF is wrong with you?

I forgot who you were without the freaky little space themed avatar. The anger reminded me of who you are.

Weird how the floor teams are almost never the ones giving up the good assets in these deals when their partners are doing them such a big favour.

Zero good assets in the Pronger deal. Philly shipped Nick Grossman (the very definition of a 6/7 D) and Pronger's contract to the Coyotes for Gagner and a forth rounder.

That was a minor deal, but Philly definitely got the better assets out of it. While neither team gave up good assets the Flyers got the better of the deal in pure hockey terms. The Pronger contract made it a little move palatable for the Coyotes.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
He can do lots. Can look at not signing Nurse until the start of the year. Can actually start looking at what trades he can make when the year starts. He can look at trading Sekera. He can look at bringing in bringing in a 3mil d-man via trade as that's about the cap space he has if he bridges Nurse and sends JP down as paper transaction. Is Benning waiver eligible? If not that's another 2mil paper transaction allowing a 5mil guy in.

I think that shows he's actually extremely limited to do anything else but bring in a cheap stop gap vet, since every move hinges on having space available going into the season or a series of other moves after it gets underway.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just had a laugh arguing with fella on another site. He said it’s time for payback on Getzlaf and I said “Why, it was a clean hit, they happen all the time in the playoffs”. He then said “What kind of stupid comment is this and are you an Oilers fan”?
I then had to inform him that this was his Achellis Tendon and wasn’t his knee. I guess he is stupider.

Do people here think hit was dirty?
It was probably the only clean hit Getlaf threw that entire series. That said, who would complain if somebody lined him up and got a pound of flesh?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I forgot who you were without the freaky little space themed avatar. The anger reminded me of who you are.

I've never had such an avatar.

I can always count on you being both disingenuous and supercilious though.

Zero good assets in the Pronger deal. Philly shipped Nick Grossman (the very definition of a 6/7 D) and Pronger's contract to the Coyotes for Gagner and a forth rounder.

That was a minor deal, but Philly definitely got the better assets out of it. While neither team gave up good assets the Flyers got the better of the deal in pure hockey terms. The Pronger contract made it a little move palatable for the Coyotes.

It was a mutually beneficial deal made for cap reasons.

It's unbelievable that you think teams can just sit on LTIR deals.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The problem is Sekera isn't a guaranteed to be on LTIR for the rest of his career. Heck there is no guarantee he's on it all this year.

I actually don't think he will be on it all year, the way Chiarelli was talking was like they expect him back this season, probably around February.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I actually don't think he will be on it all year, the way Chiarelli was talking was like they expect him back this season, probably around February.
As I said on the main board I do think you could potentially convince him to stay on it to get 100% healthy. But the team is going to want to see him play so that they can maybe trade him or at least plan for where he'll be in the lineup in 19-20

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
As I said on the main board I do think you could potentially convince him to stay on it to get 100% healthy. But the team is going to want to see him play so that they can maybe trade him or at least plan for where he'll be in the lineup in 19-20

I don't think you could. Dude is still not that old, if they bury him in the press box like that it's likely going to show that he's done as a player. He's likely very motivated to come back this year and show he can at least play. He knows his NMC is up next summer and he could be bought out too losing a lot of money.

Its very much in his best interest to come back and show he's an OK player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think you could. Dude is still not that old, if they bury him on the bench like that it's likely going to show that he's done as a player. He's likely very motivated to come back this year and show he can at least play. He knows his NMC is up next summer and he could be bought out too losing a lot of money.

Its very much in his best interest to come back and show he's an OK player.
The guy hasn't fully healed from his knee injury. I do think he could be convince, although if that achilies is ready to go early Feb that could be a long time for him to sit out.
It's a very interesting situation for all parties

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They still have to be under the cap at the start of every season; having $5.5M in dead space for the next two summers makes it pretty hard to maneuver.

No. Teams can use LTIR before the season starts, as Detroit did last season. The math formula for the cap relief is different based on whether the LTIR takes place before or after the start of the regular season. Usually it will be more beneficial for a team to use LTIR after the season starts rather then during training camp, but every situation depends on the team's precise cap situation at the time of the LTIR exception usage, so actual benefits can vary by a large amount.

Reactions: PGW and Del Preston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->