Andrej Meszaros vs Boris Valabik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Meszaros' defensive game is the best on the Giants aside from Fistric, who is hurt. He's physical, he takes the body well, and he's good at 1 on 1s (very hard to beat wide). Where he could use work, in my opinion, is on his decision making. He sometimes takes himself out of position to hit, and occasionally gets caught chasing the puck carrier and leaving the front of the net unattended. His defensive game is still very solid overall, but it's his skating and passing that really stand out.

Also, he's not dirty at all. Someone who doesn't watch him play should certainly not be saying he's dirty, because he isn't. Call me a homer if you want, but no one who has ever seen him play has ever called him dirty that I'm aware of. I've never even heard it suggested before.

dunwoody_joe

Mar 16, 2002
atlanta
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
Bingo. I'm not going to sit here and say that Valabik WILL be a bust, but I have to believe there were several better choices for Atlanta in their draft position. Thelen or Meszaros would have made a much nice partner for Coburn IMO. We'll see if Valabik can overcome the laundry list of deficiencies that plague his game.

Bingo!

This is the issue spot on. I think that DW and Hartley have been hindered by a physically weak defense at the NHL level. The defensemen prospects have been slow to develop and none of the physical guys in the pipeline seem ready anytime soon--if ever. So DW was caveting big, bruising defenseman. So he selects Valabik.

It was understood that a defenseman would be selected at the #10 pick but I really expected Thelen or Meszaros. I couldn't believe the pick myself. I would have laid money on Thelen. It was clear that the scouts were enamoured by Valabik early in the process.

Anyway, DW could have traded down some and still nabbed Valabik if he desired--but that's another story! If Valabik can continue to develop then DW hits the lottery since what the Thrashers need most is a big, mean, banger. On the other hand, the odds are (in my mind) that Valabik is a longshot to be that guy (since I doubt his skating can improve enough).

I thought then, and even more so today, that Thelen or Meszaros were better picks at #10.

WFHACommish

Sep 27, 2003
Hossa said:
You're jumping to some pretty major conclusions considering you say you don't know much about him and make no reference to ever having seen him play.

I agree. Aren't all penalties cheap and dirty? That's why they are being called for. There's no fair play or clean penalties when it comes to getting a penalty called. :dunno:

Cross-checking, boarding, high-sticking, tripping, obstruction...? All dirty plays.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
WFHACommish said:
I agree. Aren't all penalties cheap and dirty? That's why they are being called for. There's no fair play or clean penalties when it comes to getting a penalty called. :dunno:

Cross-checking, boarding, high-sticking, tripping, obstruction...? All dirty plays.

You can't be serious.

X-SHARKIE

I saw Meszaro's at the WJC's vs Canada and once vs the Czechs and nothing really stood out about his game but he was a rock for a team that needed one in Slovakia. I was one of the people saying Smid > Meszaros at the WJC's, but Meszaros numbers are boooming this year, and have really surprised me. In fact I just sent in inquiry about him this mourning :) to a team in my keeper league.

I also like Valabik though, I only have one game to go by on his record though, and that was vs a good team in London last year, and I won't sit here and call him a bust or he was a bad pick. The Thrashers felt like they had an oppertunity to take a chance on him. The first time I saw Chara was in one of those uggggly Islander jerseys back awhile so I don't know how he looked when he was 18-19. But Valabik has some things you like, Obviosly the size, he's huge, and one of the meanest SOB's i've seen in awhile.
He's an attractive package, and i'm impressed with the Waddell and the thrashers ability to let a guy grow has a hockey player and devolope them. Aside from Stefan no player in this organization was rushed to the point were they couldn't handle it. I think with a for sure thing in Coburn then Thrashers felt they coudl gamble, and kudos to them for doing it! somtimes you need to take a chance.
He could be the dark eye of draft day history for Atlanta much like the Sharks have in Teemu Riihijarvi, but I really think we should give Valabik a long time, because he well need alot of time! before we say he is a bust.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Hossa said:
You're jumping to some pretty major conclusions considering you say you don't know much about him and make no reference to ever having seen him play.

In a way I agree with him. Meszaros can be pretty cheap physically.

But hey, that's okay. In fact, that's GOOD! People need to get it out of their heads that dirty play = BAD PLAYER. On the contrary, every team needs guys that can walk the line of clean & dirty. You win with players like these. There's a reason why Claude Lemieux had 4 (or was it 5?) Stanley Cup Rings.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jay Thompson said:
On the contrary, every team needs guys that can walk the line of clean & dirty. You win with players like these. There's a reason why Claude Lemieux had 4 (or was it 5?) Stanley Cup Rings.

It's 4, I think, and the reason isn't because he is dirty but because he is clutch AND playing on superb teams.

His scoring just took off in the playoffs and he became an elite contributor when it counted.

He could have been the dirtiest player of all time (well, some people will say he was :D ) and wouldn't have contributed one bit if he did not elevate his hockey play. He also wouldn't have a single cup if he wasn't on the right team at the right time.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Alright, Vlad, fine, but think back at some of the dirtiest players in NHL history. Seems like a lot of 'em have Cups. Hell, the 1972 series was probobly won on a cheap shot.

All I'm trying to say is that dirty play might not be great for the fans, but it's great for a team - or at least a player who 'keeps the opponent honest'. GM's understand this, otherwise Bryan Marchment wouldn't be in the league.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Let us hope Meszaros turns out to be nothing like Marchment...or else he'd be one hell of a bust. :)

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
People need to get it out of their heads that dirty play = BAD PLAYER.

No, they really don't. The end doesn't justify the means. I don't pay to see goons prevent the other teams from playing hockey.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Valabik will be fine. He was picked there for a reason. The Thrashers LOVE size on the blueline (see Sutton, Coburn, Manson, Exelby). He's been injured this season and in the pre-season he was doing fine, even scoring goals with his howitzer of a shot.

His skating will come around as he bulks up his core. Right now he's too lanky and he needs to stabilize his center of gravity.

He's willing to play physical and that's why he was picked so high. Was it too high? Probably as he looks like a number 4-6 d-man but he was obviously Atlanta's guy.

As for Meszaros... I think he could have gone before Valabik, Smid and Thelen. Before the draft I think I read somewhere that had ranked him behind only Barker in '04 and that's where I see him today.

Another smart move by the Senators who once again understand how to build a team. Pick smart (Meszaros), trade smart (Yashin) and keep the core together.

Kaiped Krusader

Jul 1, 2004
Rylan up the Opposition
I was pretty bummed about the Valabik pick when it was made. I thought for sure when our spot came up we'd take Thelen, Tukonen (how is that guy progressing, anyways?) or even Meszaros. Or maybe Radulov. Anyone but Valabik, really. I've warmed on the pick since then, mostly once I realized it fell into my belief that you should swing for the fences with your draft picks. Valabik is more than just a big frame - he's got a nasty disposition too and you can't teach either of those things. I like that we've taken a chance on him. Odds are good he'll be a complete flop, but if he turns out they way the team projected him, I think he'll be a much more dominant player than Thelen or Tukonen or a lot of other guys taken in the first round.

He has a ton of work to do, obviously, but I like what I've seen of him better than either of the other two 6'7"+ defensemen we've drafted: Lane Manson and Brian Sipotz. Both those guys looked atrocious as 18 year-olds and both have made big strides since then. They're still middling prospects, but they both demonstrate rather well the conventional wisdom that huge hockey players have to grow into their bodies and need time to become coordinated. Valabik looks bad, but a far sight better than either Manson or Sipotz did at 18 (or 20 for that matter.) That gives me some hope he might be a player down the road.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kaiped Krusader said:
I like that we've taken a chance on him. Odds are good he'll be a complete flop, but if he turns out they way the team projected him, I think he'll be a much more dominant player than Thelen or Tukonen or a lot of other guys taken in the first round.

You're of course allowed to have this opinion but I disagree.

You speak of Valabik's upside but to me, Thelen has twice the upside as a dominant D, for instance. Not only do I think Valabik was a riskier pick than many of those who followed him, I'm not sure his upside overshadows them either.

With the Thrashers still being a very fresh, recent franchise, I was surprised they would take such a gamble at this stage of their history.

It is fair to say "if Valabik turns the way they project" but the same applies to the other guys. ;)

Rangerfan*

Taupy said:
The only reason why Valabik was choose in the Top 10 was because of his size. He's a typical boom or bust prospect. Yes, he throws punishing bodycheck, but if you can't control the puck well, what is the utility?

:lol: :lol YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT GUY PLAY AS I CAN SEE..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad