Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
MMM said:
CSB has 6'2"

THN has 6'0"

Anyone know which is correct?

I wouldn't draft him that high if he's only 6'0"

So let's compromise... Meszaros = 6'1 :)

I'd take him if he was 5'11, 185 lbs... EXTREMELY underrated.

He's so quick and so good offensively. He'll develop defensively. Rangers don't need, but I'd say to anyone else, namely BUF - TAKE HIM! TAKE HIM EARLY! Teams like COL never draft early, but they draft SMART. Don't let him slip that far!

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I dont think those inches would matter much to any team out there.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Seachd said:
I dont think those inches would matter much to any team out there.

I strongly disagree. Several teams would take it *highly* into considerations. One only has to look at past drafts.

Defensemen 6 foot and under get the short end of the stick. Talented 6 foot 3 and 6 foot 4 defensemen usually go much higher than 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2 as well. Two inches does make a difference, it seems.

Take a look at the past drafts and you'll see that the top defensemen are almost invariably 6 foot 2+. Most often they are 6 foot 3 and up. This is why Komisarek, who doesn't have half of Hamhuis talent, went higher than him. The draft in 2002 was considered a good year for Ds it seems, and many of these guys were tall kids. Bouwmeester, Whitney, Pitkanen.

The 6 foot Ds get a lot of team nervous. At 6 foot you are dangerously close to being considered too short.

A lot of the smaller Ds surface by getting tryout contracts, as free agents. Lots of successful stories there.

I do think two inches gives you an advantage in as far as you can pack more pounds, have slightly better reach but of course, you need talent. But teams, they project your upside and while they are showing lately that they will make exceptions for forwards, they rarely do so for defensemen.

It does not mean a 6 footer will not be drafted at all. I just think it does impact the position somewhat. Some of the reasons I disagree with, others I do.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Vlad The Impaler said:
Take a look at the past drafts and you'll see that the top defensemen are almost invariably 6 foot 2+. Most often they are 6 foot 3 and up. This is why Komisarek, who doesn't have half of Hamhuis talent, went higher than him. The draft in 2002 was considered a good year for Ds it seems, and many of these guys were tall kids. Bouwmeester, Whitney, Pitkanen.

I think another reason for going big is that if the players talent drops off or he simply doesnt develop, the pick isn't totally wasted, as there's always room for a big d-man at the 5-7th spot on teams depth charts. Smaller D-men under the same circumstances end up in the AHL and the GM's look bad.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I strongly disagree. Several teams would take it *highly* into considerations. One only has to look at past drafts.

Defensemen 6 foot and under get the short end of the stick. Talented 6 foot 3 and 6 foot 4 defensemen usually go much higher than 6 foot 1 and 6 foot 2 as well. Two inches does make a difference, it seems.

The 6 foot Ds get a lot of team nervous. At 6 foot you are dangerously close to being considered too short.

A lot of the smaller Ds surface by getting tryout contracts, as free agents. Lots of successful stories there.

I do think two inches gives you an advantage in as far as you can pack more pounds, have slightly better reach but of course, you need talent. But teams, they project your upside and while they are showing lately that they will make exceptions for forwards, they rarely do so for defensemen.

It does not mean a 6 footer will not be drafted at all. I just think it does impact the position somewhat. Some of the reasons I disagree with, others I do.

Hamhuis is better than Komisarek but it's not fair to say that Komisarek is a HALF less skilled.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
agreed.. i think height is sometimes overrated by the scouts.. and then those damn scouts mislead us with those rankings :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->