Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
goalie stats are stupid. You can only compare goalie stats if both goalies are playing on the same team and against the same opponents and even then you got to have a much bigger sample size of games. With this sample size he could possibly have still been playing at a vezina level in those games and still have those stats

It's sort of both. He's making Vezina level saves, bailing us out of horrific mistakes, but then, later, he'll make a mistake himself and give up a goal.

It almost always comes down to rebound/puck control. Or maybe just "save control." He kicked one directly to a Penguin last game. The game before (or maybe the Florida game), he took one off the crest and then lost sight on it on the ice in front of him, and an opponent jammed it past him (<-- He's working on this type of thing; it used to be a way bigger issue.).

He makes 10-bell saves better than Bishop, but that's because he's still relying so much on his crazy reflexes I think, whereas Bishop rarely had to make those because of his positioning, and his weird ability to be a general from the crease.

I think we're seeing improvements though. But IMO the control issue is still making his ridiculous acrobatic saves a bit of a wash. Those ridiculous saves turn you into a Vezina caliber goalie only if you're making all the easy saves too. Vasy does that, for the most part, but sometimes he still leaves pucks in very dangerous areas.

So I think the GAA/S% are a product of bad puck luck (some deflections) mixed with some bad plays, but he saves our bacon so much that it kind of balances out.

We knew there'd be growing pains.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
His numbers will go up. Defense needs to play better in front of him too. They still give up a lot of quality chances, even when we are playing fairly well. He still has some facets of his game to work on, but he's still young. It'll come. Despite the stats, he's still a main reason we've won these games.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
So this Vasilevskiy guy's stats are looking a lot better lately.

8/9 GS are wins, .936 sv%, 2.22 GAA and leads the NHL in TOI.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Can I point out something that we all know deep down is going to happen at some point?

Vasilevskiy is going to get scored on at least once from center ice this season. I can just feel it.

Reactions: Iceman

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
He's having a Vezina caliber season. I'd say at this point it's between him and Bobrovsky, with him being the favorite due to wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->