Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
He got hung out to dry on those first few goals though. You ask your goalie can make one or two of those saves to keep the game within reach, but I'm not exactly ready to burn Vasy in effigy over letting grade A scoring chances get by him.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He got hung out to dry on those first few goals though. You ask your goalie can make one or two of those saves to keep the game within reach, but I'm not exactly ready to burn Vasy in effigy over letting grade A scoring chances get by him.

This team is always going to give up "A" grade chances given the make up hence why Bishop was do valuable arw people only seeing this now?

We cant depend on goaltending anymore wins will have to come through purely offense.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think that's overstating it. Vasi is going to have growing pains, but he's also going to have those games where you see why we're investing in this kid.

He gets WAY too much **** for the bad games. There is a reason why there aren't a lot of 22 year old starters in this league. Despite some rough outings, he has decent underlying numbers and this season is not on him.

Whether Yzerman should have went with him as the #1 so early - that's up for debate. But it's not like Bish was a world-beater this year, and Vasi has had some really good stretches in there with the rough ones. He can win us games, and he rebounded nicely last night after a rough start.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
That's also a major part of development, too - he put his team in a hole, no question, but he was given a reprieve, and when the Lightning got outplayed in the 3rd period and gave up some dangerous scoring chances, he did his part to keep the game tied. That save on Kane was ridiculous.

He didn't have a good game, but he did his job late and gave them a chance to win later on. Those are confidence boosters.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This team is always going to give up "A" grade chances given the make up hence why Bishop was do valuable arw people only seeing this now?

We cant depend on goaltending anymore wins will have to come through purely offense.

...and I'd be just lenient on Bishop if he had. This isn't a Bishop versus Vasi thread though and nobody is arguing otherwise.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think last night was a milestone game for him, in terms of development. Took a lot of mental toughness to show up the way he did in the third.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Ugh... how dare he play with kittens!

Vasilevskiy went 12-4-2 - tied for the most wins in the league over that stretch -- with a .930 save percentage and 2.27 goals-against average,

Ugghhhh

he helped Russia to a bronze medal at the 2017 IIHF World Championships, leading all tournament goalies for games (9), minutes (522), saves (218) and shutouts (3) while sporting a very respectable 1.72 GAA and .936 save percentage.

Ughh....

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If anything I'm focused on what he did down the stretch after the trade deadline last year. Russia was stacked and often faced much weaker competition. Hopefully this is the year it all clicks for Vasilevskiy. We've seen him put it together in small stretches but I have no reason to not be optimistic.

Whatever the case we'll need him at his best.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The king of Tampa has been named, and it’s Andrei Vasilevskiy. However, he may be the most criticized player on the roster. He started as the understudy to Bishop, who holds almost every single goaltending record in Lightning history. Following Bishop’ trade to Los Angeles, Vasilevskiy and Budaj rotated in and out to finish the 2016-17 season.

Vasilevskiy was drafted 19th overall in the 2012 NHL draft. Despite being second on the roster, the chance to step up became a reality when the Bolts wouldn’t have enough cap space to re-sign Bishop.

“I already know this season it’s going to be more on me. It’s going to be more responsible for me,” Vasilevskiy said in a statement. “I’m ready.”

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/08/25/andrei-vasilevskiy-lightning-starting-goaltender/

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Ugh... how dare he play with kittens!

tumblr_n2v8ijdBlU1qm6joao1_500.jpg

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think I got it. Vasy stole RDT's little kittens!

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
3. Andrei Vasilevskiy best against close shots

Vasilevskiy's .915 save percentage in his NHL career was 29th among the 61 goalies who played at least 50 games in the League during the same three-season span.

But when considering only shots taken from within hockey's home plate area -- which runs from each goal post to the faceoff dot on the same side to the top of each circle and across -- Vasilevskiy had a League-leading .877 save percentage.

Vasilevskiy also led the NHL with a .960 save percentage when entering a game in relief of the starting goalie, among the 51 goalies to make at least five relief appearances the past three seasons.

From the 31 in 31 post.

Aimerd

Oct 14, 2017
goalie stats are stupid. You can only compare goalie stats if both goalies are playing on the same team and against the same opponents and even then you got to have a much bigger sample size of games. With this sample size he could possibly have still been playing at a vezina level in those games and still have those stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad