Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
He was poor for his standards. He should have saved the game 1 SH goal and then just in general he would usually save 1 of the 2 first 2 goals in game 1. Look at his save %. By no means all on him but something was off with him. We actually had more high danger chances than Cbus in the series at least as stats show.

And during the season he was incredible after a loss. Game 2 he posts a .815 save %.

Look at the 3 regular season games against cbus. He was lights out. It was their goalie not playing well.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
He's mentally weak and can't perform under pressure. On top I wonder, if he didn't miss 10+ games due to injury would we be talking about fatigue issues at this point again?

I'm all for acquiring a solid tandem partner for him and for installing a 1A/1B system. It has worked for lots of teams this season. Lehner will be UFA for example. He is also crazy, might give the locker room some life at last.
What? He has played hockey at exceptional levels against men from 18 onward. He is a lot of things, but "mentally weak" isn't one of them.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
he was injured in some way and we will probably NEVER know how injured dom was so was no options vasy will get there but if he cant move fast as usual his usual speed i give him a pass... is what it is sad cause I was sure he was ready to take the next step but if you cant go up down at usual speed things get by you. If dom was semi injured too which I think is case you just got to be sad in the timing.... I do not feel he was right at all looking back at goals he gave up even during the series I had like why didnt he stop that... Cause some was routine low stuff that I think he was a wall most of the year on... but didnt know he was injured just remember a game i critiqued that he def couldnt move right and he gave up six goals this year and I knew he had a problem body wise... Same thing here missing hedman stralman coburn was just too much. What was concerning was we forgot to score not so much how bad pk was or letting them score we could still have outscored them imho

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
he was injured in some way and we will probably NEVER know how injured dom was so was no options vasy will get there but if he cant move fast as usual his usual speed i give him a pass... is what it is sad cause I was sure he was ready to take the next step but if you cant go up down at usual speed things get by you. If dom was semi injured too which I think is case you just got to be sad in the timing.... I do not feel he was right at all looking back at goals he gave up even during the series I had like why didnt he stop that... Cause some was routine low stuff that I think he was a wall most of the year on... but didnt know he was injured just remember a game i critiqued that he def couldnt move right and he gave up six goals this year and I knew he had a problem body wise... Same thing here missing hedman stralman coburn was just too much. What was concerning was we forgot to score not so much how bad pk was or letting them score we could still have outscored them imho
Did you catch that, too? His recovery seemed off to me, he would make his first push to one side and couldn't recover fast enough, it actually reminded me of when Ben injured his groin.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Did you catch that, too? His recovery seemed off to me, he would make his first push to one side and couldn't recover fast enough, it actually reminded me of when Ben injured his groin.

The goal that was overturned for offside in game 4 comes to mind. He saw where the puck was and his push off just seemed forced. That's very unusual for Vasi. He normally has very quick feet and very strong push offs.

I could see groin being an issue, though I'd hope he wouldn't be going to join Team Russia if that were the case.

Reactions: DFC

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The goal that was overturned for offside in game 4 comes to mind. He saw where the puck was and his push off just seemed forced. That's very unusual for Vasi. He normally has very quick feet and very strong push offs.

I could see groin being an issue, though I'd hope he wouldn't be going to join Team Russia if that were the case.
He is honestly one of the most reflexive goaltenders i've ever seen. He can flatten those pads and push side to side just as well as anyone (Quick in LA comes to mind, pre-injury). For whatever reason this series, he just looked like he was laboring, or like one of us was in net.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He is honestly one of the most reflexive goaltenders i've ever seen. He can flatten those pads and push side to side just as well as anyone (Quick in LA comes to mind, pre-injury). For whatever reason this series, he just looked like he was laboring, or like one of us was in net.
i am not sure what i saw cause only watched each game 2 times and very angry but his getting down seemed slow for him and pushes at times did look off to me he moves like hasek at times when he is right and five hole? if he is healthy is like a wall if he sees the puck ....I am still digesting everything im in shock I got very sick after the series from the stress level i put on self lol.... Detroit lost like this won back to back cups:) so is hope still... I figured vasy would be our best player in playoffs is just sad another year pretty much wasted on bad luck on injuries at wrong time and other reasons obviously but i expected vasy to steal some games much less series :)i will say the 5 hole him getting down was first thing i noticed i was like he cant stop a beach ball in that first game after the start of second period and it got worse... Crazy his compete drive etc.. he made some of those amazing stops he is known for so you're like hes ok lol but no I dont feel he was ok at all:(

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Agreed. His playoff numbers are very good prior to this year. I'm not worried about him long term.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
i am not sure what i saw cause only watched each game 2 times and very angry but his getting down seemed slow for him and pushes at times did look off to me he moves like hasek at times when he is right and five hole? if he is healthy is like a wall if he sees the puck ....I am still digesting everything im in shock I got very sick after the series from the stress level i put on self lol.... Detroit lost like this won back to back cups:) so is hope still... I figured vasy would be our best player in playoffs is just sad another year pretty much wasted on bad luck on injuries at wrong time and other reasons obviously but i expected vasy to steal some games much less series :)i will say the 5 hole him getting down was first thing i noticed i was like he cant stop a beach ball in that first game after the start of second period and it got worse... Crazy his compete drive etc.. he made some of those amazing stops he is known for so you're like hes ok lol but no I dont feel he was ok at all:(
He also seemed to have some weird issue where he just couldn't pick up on the boards having a lot more life in Columbus.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
He also seemed to have some weird issue where he just couldn't pick up on the boards having a lot more life in Columbus.
ya i lost my voice screaming on our first passes and that included vasy it was crazy and they def knew their boards and we didnt ... the one sergachev almost put in comes to instant mind and that was luck in game four i thought all of a sudden the whole series was gonna shift as he made that save but NO... think was game four but sergachev in game three almost looked like was in tears on ice and always on different sides of net like was so discombaomulated nope cant speell it that he was totally lost out on ice... again to coaches maybe in his ear on mistakes? not tough enough knowing was blowing it? not sure... but we need to do better jobs with that kid for sure. im not sold on him staying am pretty much over sergy but im with the team so what they decide ill be good with just think they need to coddle some more then others and yell at some more then others and blaming a kid in his first real tests is not way to go... yes know he played last year but really he never faced adversary of hedman's minutes etc... we did a crappy job everywhere:(

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
You'd think that after it happens once to you, you'd pay attention though.

I mean, you can coach that stuff up all you want but at the end of it all, there is a person/player that has to actually *do* that, so.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
He was terrible in the series. I expected him to steal a game a series because I thought he was just that good.

Now I know better, he’s just another solid NHL goalie until proven otherwise. Was he great in the regular season? Yes, until the last few weeks. But Dom handled things fine without him. Hey it’s the regular season and that’s when this team shines.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Is it just me or is that whole "the boards are lively in X" a load of BS? I've heard that in reference to every arena in the league. It's just a function of the shot, not the boards being special.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Is it just me or is that whole "the boards are lively in X" a load of BS? I've heard that in reference to every arena in the league. It's just a function of the shot, not the boards being special.
Not sure about the newer rinks but old rinks like Joe Louis arena had very lively boards. When you shot the puck in it would bounce back out as if it was hitting rubber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad