Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Ice

Nov 29, 2018
Vasi plays worse when he sits too much though. It's a delicate balance. Remember when he was basically splitting starts with Bishop before he got traded? His stats were mediocre to the point a lot of folks were panicking over losing Ben. But then he got the bulk of the starts and started kicking ass.
Have to disagree about Vasi playing worse after time off, Stats show the opposite, repeatedly. Hate to say it , but Vasi looked off Saturday night, missed easy reads and looked slow moving in the net at times. And now Domingue is hurt and they have to play Vasi every game if they want to win. This is how you f***up a good thing.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Have to disagree about Vasi playing worse after time off, Stats show the opposite, repeatedly. Hate to say it , but Vasi looked off Saturday night, missed easy reads and looked slow moving in the net at times. And now Domingue is hurt and they have to play Vasi every game if they want to win. This is how you ****up a good thing.

4 games left? Give Vasi 2 and the other 2 between Dom and Pasquale depending on the injury.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On some sports net article I read it said Vasy and Hedman are hurt? Am I missing something here?

Hedman may or may not be hurt. I mean, he's not playing tomorrow, but we're at the time of year where that could mean he's injured or it could mean the team is taking no chances.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Hedman may or may not be hurt. I mean, he's not playing tomorrow, but we're at the time of year where that could mean he's injured or it could mean the team is taking no chances.
I think its them playing it safe but I also think they are doing it to make sure he's rested and ready. Other than Vassy he's gonna be the one the team leans on the most when the playoffs start.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I get it with Heddy.

I’m asking if vasy is actually hurt? Or an error in the article. Did they mean Dom?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I get it with Heddy.

I’m asking if vasy is actually hurt? Or an error in the article. Did they mean Dom?

Not sure what article you're referring to, but yeah, Dom is currently injured, and Vasy just beat the Leafs 3-1.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I was at the game so it was hard to judge his preformance. The goals looked rather weak. How did he play? He usefully bounces back.

NatoGhost

Jun 27, 2013
I was at the game so it was hard to judge his preformance. The goals looked rather weak. How did he play? He usefully bounces back.
They were pretty nice shots but would have been nice for him to make a great save on at least 1 of them.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
It sort of seems like we have to consistently walk a fine line with Vasy.

He likes to play a lot but gets fatigued. When he’s fatigued and we rest him he comes back rusty. I can’t figure out the right amount of play time for him to optimize his performance.

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
While I still believe holding on to Vasy was the right decision financially and long term...

I couldn't help but think last night about how much we may miss Bishop in these type of series. He was always a gamer and was always good for stealing a win or 2. He came across as a leader for this team during the times our offense struggled.

His ability to handle the puck is something I think is sorely missed as well when we face defense like columbus this series.

Reactions: Stammertime91

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
While I still believe holding on to Vasy was the right decision financially and long term...

I couldn't help but think last night about how much we may miss Bishop in these type of series. He was always a gamer and was always good for stealing a win or 2. He came across as a leader for this team during the times our offense struggled.

His ability to handle the puck is something I think is sorely missed as well when we face defense like columbus this series.
He would always give up a garbage goal or 2 (usually 2 max) and then shut it down and stop everything. We still miss his ability to handle the puck as well.

I agree with him being a leader, you could see him pump up the team at times.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015

Bishop also went down with injuries at critical times in back-to-back years. I'm still not convinced his injury against the Pens was entirely legit, and I'll always suspect that it had something to do with his eventual departure. I love the guy, and his puckhandling was perfect for the way we like to play, but I think we got all you're going to get out of Bishop. I don't think he wants or likes all that pressure on him in a big series. I could be completely wrong, and maybe he'll prove me wrong, but that was my impression of his time here.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Columbus figured out how to score on Vasy. He probably just couldn't adjust quickly enough but I would assume that next year he should be able to figure things out again.

One thing I've noticed is how he freezes for a second when the puck is shot wide so when the puck bounces back in front of the net he doesn't react quickly enough. Shouldn't be a difficult thing to fix.

Not too sure what to do about all the high blocker goals though. Feel like if he just positions himself correctly those shouldn't go in but who knows.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Bishop also went down with injuries at critical times in back-to-back years. I'm still not convinced his injury against the Pens was entirely legit, and I'll always suspect that it had something to do with his eventual departure. I love the guy, and his puckhandling was perfect for the way we like to play, but I think we got all you're going to get out of Bishop. I don't think he wants or likes all that pressure on him in a big series. I could be completely wrong, and maybe he'll prove me wrong, but that was my impression of his time here.

lol...

You know how Ben Bishop responds to shaky games? His team leads 4-0 after 1 right now. Vasy's mental game is awful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stammertime91

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

Bishop is one of a handful of goaltenders ever to have multiple Game 7 shutouts in a single postseason. That dude was flat out money in the playoffs for us.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I would rather have Bishop and Domingue than Vasy and Domingue. We might've not gotten 62 wins, but we probably wouldn't have spiraled downhill the last couple weeks of our season. Sure the sole blame isn't on Vasy, but Bishop did more with less.

Khabi, Bishop and then there's Vasy. People need to show some respek.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->