Andrei Medvedev - holy crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lecherous

Apr 11, 2002
Rochester, NY
www.voteforrory.com
I was just looking over on www.russianhockeyinsider.com, and I noticed that Medvedev is listed as 6'1/249! Has he really gotten THAT fat since he got drafted? I remember he was around 205/210 when he got drafted, and they were worried about his laziness and complete and utter disconcern with being in shape...which immediately enamored him to me, heh. But yeah, I'd have to say this is pretty shocking for a top prospect goalie to gain 40 lbs in a year. Can anyone confirm this?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
I can confirm that he didn't gain 40 lbs in a year. Not sure how you reached that conclusion since he was drafted two and half years ago and you're quoting his numbers from when he was drafted.

Bottom line is that those original numbers were probably not accurate.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Bottom line is that if he makes it to the NHL in the shape he's in, it would be a disgrace. This isn't baseball or football. Nobody wants to see Cecil Fielder, David Wells or 'the fridge' in net for their team.

#37-#93-#27*

Douggy said:
Bottom line is that if he makes it to the NHL in the shape he's in, it would be a disgrace. This isn't baseball or football. Nobody wants to see Cecil Fielder, David Wells or 'the fridge' in net for their team.
Yea because no one wants a hall of famer and perenial all star on their team. Seriously the guy can be 350 pounds I could give a crap as long as he stops the puck.

Reign Nateo

Apr 28, 2003
Canada
Visit site
He won't stay that weight in the NHL, especially not with the Flames. If he ever decides to come to North America, he will have a year or two from hell until he gets in shape.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
Doesn't that also say something about his lack of committment to keep in shape? Goaltender requires excellent speed and agility, and I'm sure that the extra weight is dragging him down. If he makes an effort to trim down a bit, he could be even better.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
#37-#93-#27 said:
Yea because no one wants a hall of famer and perenial all star on their team. Seriously the guy can be 350 pounds I could give a crap as long as he stops the puck.
Exactly. If he made it to the NHL, it wouldn't be a disgrace - it'd be a miracle. If he's good enough that he can be that big and still make the NHL, then good for him - I'll be one of his biggest fans. But something tells me that won't happen.

Guillaume

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He was actually at 250+ at some point (see picture attached of when he was at his worst).

reports say that he was introduced to dietetics this year and that he understood the importance of being in shape if he wants to play at the highest level (in the past, he used to say in interviews that his weight was not a problem and that he would not see why he would have to lose some until someone tells him to; he was also mentioning drinking beers and eating junk food...)

Edit: just something, he was listed about 245 (i.e. 113 kgs) at the beginning of the season by the Spartak website).
http://www.spartak.ru/sezon23/comanda/medvedev.htm

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
#37-#93-#27 said:

350 pounds and make the hall of fame as a goalie? UNLIKELY!

500 pounds MINIMUM. 700 and I'm bettin' on him!

BCCHL inactive

NHLcrazy said:
Good Lord....how can he get back up after he makes a save?!?

He was pretty fast and agile when he led Team Russia to the 2003 World U20 Gold Medal in Halifax.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Didn't Dustin Byfuglien show up in Prince George at the beginning of this season weighing 280? He's 6'3, so he might be able to give Medvedev a run for his money in the "buggest fatass" race.

byfuglien.jpg

Edit: added pic.

Hydroponic Harold

He is so fat that at the world juniors the Ruskies had to actually cut the hem in shirt at the bottom ..i noticed it during the game against Canada .The announcer said the Russian entourage had to step in at the team meals because he ate almost everything on the desert tray .....now i know why the Russian team players are all full of acne .

BCCHL inactive

Lard_Lad said:
Didn't Dustin Byfuglien show up in Prince George at the beginning of this season weighing 280? He's 6'3, so he might be able to give Medvedev a run for his money in the "buggest fatass" race.

byfuglien.jpg

Edit: added pic.

He was about 270 at camp. However, being big is Byfuglien's natural build. The most realistic weight he can get down to, without sacrificing muscle mass, is probably around 230-240.

He is about 250-255 now.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Someone once posted a pic that they made of a Calgary Flames Andrei Medvedev jersey with a number 10 on the back: the #1 was a cola and the #0 was a donut.

Does anyone have this picture, or can the "artist" post it again.

It was one of the funnier things that I've seen.

Hydroponic Harold

Ime not poking fun at them ..merely making an observation ..it seems a high number of the Russian juniors have bad acne ..and maybe eating cup cakes and donuts and stuff has something to do with it .That and maybe acne soap hasnt been introduced to the Russian youth .

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Hydroponic Harold said:
Ime not poking fun at them ..merely making an observation ..it seems a high number of the Russian juniors have bad acne ..and maybe eating cup cakes and donuts and stuff has something to do with it .That and maybe acne soap hasnt been introduced to the Russian youth .

Many of the young Swedes have bad acne problems as well...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad