Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I've seen a few of his games last year and I really wouldn't expect him to do much of anything in the NHL with what little mobility he has left . Why bring him back if it's just going to be sad to watch ? I'd rather remember him the way he used to be.
My guess is he really wants that Golden Stick ;)

Jul 6, 2016
I'd take him. Even if he's not great, who cares. He's good leadership, even if he is benched from time to time. And I mean... our defense sucks anyway, so they could use some leadership lol

Probably isn't too bad on the Powerplay either.

Our D doesn't suck that much. Leadership ? Weber and Petry are there for that.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Our D doesn't suck that much. Leadership ? Weber and Petry are there for that.
Our D doesn't suck that much?

The f***?

Shea Weber is great (but also getting old). Probably ideally a #2, to be honest. But he's an average #1.

Petry who is better suited as a #3 or #4 and great in that role. Not so great when the minutes start going up to a top pairing guy.

Kulak is solid. No complaints in a #4-#6 role.

Mete is good, but very young. Shouldn't be on the 1st pairing.

Chiarot is decent. #5 or #6.

Reilly is mediocre. #6 or #7.

Folin is better than Reilly, but average.. #5-#6.

Alzner is a #12.

It's a pretty sucky defense.

In reality we're missing a 1st pair guy and a 2nd pair guy.

Jul 6, 2016
Our D doesn't suck that much?

The ****?

Shea Weber is great (but also getting old). Probably ideally a #2, to be honest. But he's an average #1.

Petry who is better suited as a #3 or #4 and great in that role. Not so great when the minutes start going up to a top pairing guy.

Kulak is solid. No complaints in a #4-#6 role.

Mete is good, but very young. Shouldn't be on the 1st pairing.

Chiarot is decent. #5 or #6.

Reilly is mediocre. #6 or #7.

Folin is better than Reilly, but average.. #5-#6.

Alzner is a #12.

It's a pretty sucky defense.

In reality we're missing a 1st pair guy and a 2nd pair guy.

Where is Juulsen. The kid was doing very well at the start of last season ?

If you want to use the word "sucking", think about Schlemko, Davidson, Morrow, Streit, Ouellet, Alzner... That's what I call "sucking". Alzner is not part of Habs D anymore since a long time now.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I kept watching him in the KHL.

He's not a viable NHL defenceman anymore. Markov was/is my favourite Hab of all-time. I'd love to see him back next year for sure.

He's just not the same Markov. Even his shot and passing doesn't seem crisp, age has hit him hard.

Please sign him as a development coach though.
Exactly what I came here to post: Sign him as a defence and PP coach.

Reactions: Edgy

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I'd give him a PTO to see how he does at the training camp. If he outplays any regular D, then give him one year. But I doubt he would come to North America just for a PTO.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
If bergevin gave him 2 years contract instead of one, today markov were going back in russia after a nice career here. And nobody would talking about alzner

upload_2019-7-18_10-57-3.jpeg

I am such a fan of the General that I almost would want him to come back, especially if there is nobody else on the left side that brings his vision etc. That being said he would have to play sheltered minutes to keep him fresh...in the end I don't think it happens.

Oh he has an agent now? If he did 2 years ago the negotiations may not have been botched since his personal feelings would have been detached an extra degree.

He would have been wearing the CH in 2017-2018 and then everyone could have seen he was basically done as a NHL player and we could have avoided 2 years of tedious discussions about how Bergevin messed up the left side D by disrespecting 40 year old Markov who would have magically fixed everything.

Not sure if sarcasm...he is not done two years ago and would have been better than Alzner and anything else the Habs had that's for sure.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
If bergevin gave him 2 years contract instead of one, today markov were going back in russia after a nice career here. And nobody would talking about alzner
Bergevin should have been fired over that crap summer....what an a$$clown.

It might be OK to bring him back, like Pleks, 3rd pair, let him get to 1000 which would be a 10 game trial, if he can handle it, great, if not terminate the contract.

Reactions: Tyson and the

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Do you guys remember Markov two last seasons with us? He was already regressing by a good margin, by the end of the season he couldn't follow the play anymore.

After two weak seasons in the KHL I'm pretty sure he'll play like Mark Streit played with us last season.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I agree that he might not have the stamina to play 5-on-5, but his PP game was all about his vision. don't need to skate fast, shoot hard...just distributing the puck.

His reaction time is far slower than it was 5-6 years ago. His body just doesn't move as fast.

I don't know if it ever got confirmed or not but I'd wager his injury last year was a back injury. When he came back, his passing looked a lot weaker.

I'd encourage you to check out some of his KHL games from last year to see what I mean.

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
He should have never left in the first place. MB handled that situation terribly.

We probably make the playoffs last season with his help on the PP.

Reactions: Rapala

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Do you guys remember Markov two last seasons with us? He was already regressing by a good margin, by the end of the season he couldn't follow the play anymore.

After two weak seasons in the KHL I'm pretty sure he'll play like Mark Streit played with us last season.
I don't get this myth that his final two seasons in Montreal were so bad. He was still better than any dman and could have been better had they not leaned on him so much and played him smarted with focused minutes to keep him fresher for the end of the season. His ice time his final two years were 23:50 and 21:50 respectively. Play him 19-20 minutes and especially on the PP and it would have been a boon for him and the team later in the year. Heck in the 2016-17 playoffs they ended up leaning on him to the tune of over 26 min per game.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
One reason why Markov threads always turn out badly is because people don't watch KHL games. They always turn into the same thing.

Person A: We should sign him

Person who watched him: He's not NHL caliber

Person A: He couldn't have regressed that much

Person who watched him: He really has

Person A: Well his game is built on vision, smarts, and passing

Person who watched him: Dude he's not the same player

Person A: I don't believe you

Person B: Well he's better than any of our other options

Person who watched him B: Uh no

Person C: I don't care, legacy. Get him to 1000 games

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Still say he's better than Drouin on the point for PPs.
And the funny thing is I read an article about how there is a shift of playing 2 forwards on the point for the PP now. Supposedly the stats show that while they might give up more SH goals, they do score more PP goals. Time will tell if more teams go that way.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
He should have never left in the first place. MB handled that situation terribly.

We probably make the playoffs last season with his help on the PP.

He wouldn't have been on our PP last year, he wouldn't have helped us. At this stage in his career he's not better than what we have. He wouldn't have been a better option than Benn. Watch his KHL games, he's not the same Markov. And he was injured much of the year.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
One reason why Markov threads always turn out badly is because people don't watch KHL games. They always turn into the same thing.

People also don’t want to believe Bergevin may have made the right call not bringing him back.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

So where is this supposed regression in his game? What part of it? The Markov I saw in a couple of KHL games last year was for from terrible. Maybe I just watched his good games but he was far from terrible. Is he the same Markov as before? No, he is 40, but I still think a sheltered Markov could surprise in the NHL. And at this point with the lack of improvement to the roster this summer, it's not like the Habs will be contending for the Cup. It would take one hell of a miracle in the form of a lot of career years and a big move or two to fill holes. Look at last season team, they had a bunch of players with great career years and still didn't make the playoffs.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
And the funny thing is I read an article about how there is a shift of playing 2 forwards on the point for the PP now. Supposedly the stats show that while they might give up more SH goals, they do score more PP goals. Time will tell if more teams go that way.

I've noticed a trend among some teams is to have their two walls, their D at the point, their centre at the crease and their shooter floating a bit farther back. Their shooter falls back a bit more if the d has the puck rather than going to the net to support him. I think that change will takeaway a lot of SH opportunities because he's usually positioned to give chase better.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
So where is this supposed regression in his game? What part of it? The Markov I saw in a couple of KHL games last year was for from terrible. Maybe I just watched his good games but he was far from terrible. Is he the same Markov as before? No, he is 40, but I still think a sheltered Markov could surprise in the NHL. And at this point with the lack of improvement to the roster this summer, it's not like the Habs will be contending for the Cup. It would take one hell of a miracle in the form of a lot of career years and a big move or two to fill holes. Look at last season team, they had a bunch of players with great career years and still didn't make the playoffs.

He didn't look terrible, but did he look better than Benn or Folin would have in the same position? The KHL ice gave him more time and space to make decisions but his passes were less crisp, he was noticeably slower, he had to switch coverage a lot more than you could get away with in the NHL etc.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Give him 1.5 or let him stay in russia

He can still be useful as nobody can dish it to weber on the pp

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The Alzner fiasco would have never been avoided.

It wasn’t like Markov said no and Bergevin signed Alzner to replace him. Instead the moron signed Alzner and after during his press conference he said that he doesn’t have enough money to sign both Radulov and Markov and it was first come first serve.

Take it or leave it he said

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->