Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
giphy.gif

Guys getting paid 750k to 1 million a year to chase a puck around the ice must be devastated at the thought of being analyzed on a hockey forum! We have missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years in a results based business and that's what you choose to reply to me with! We are still mired in mediocrity with all of the guys you listed, where is our big go for it types of moves? Where is the commitment to a direction? Or are we just another Steve Ott or Jon Scott away from being pushed over the top here?
:clap:

Reactions: OldCraig71

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I don't mind give Markov a one year deal, let Julien use him when and where he wants, as long as Markov act as a good soldier, accept his role, etc. If he comes back you will see me wishing him welcome and all the good words.
But if Markov is unhappy of his limited ice time, he will be a distraction for the team and I think it's the last thing Julien wants.
Markov is a loyal veteran of the Montreal Canadiens and I can't for the life of me see a scenario where he would not be open to whatever role the team would give him. It is shameful how Bergevin treated him and while I do not see MB signing him for fear of looking bad it does not mean that it wouldn't be the right thing to do.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Better then 40 year old markov? I would be surprised if he wasn’t
He wouldn't be better than a 50 year old markov. Markov can do and process the game in ways Kulak will never be able to.

His game was never based on speed, it was all IQ, hockey sense and puck skills. Things that aren't impacted as much with age. I'm not saying Markov will ever be as good as he was in his late 20's/30's, but he doesn't have to be in order to help us where we need. He'd still be a calming presence on the back end with an elite first pass and proficient on the PP.

18-20 minutes a night, keep him off the PK and use his strengths. I find it hard to believe how under-appreciative habs fans are of him. His skills can still be effective at 40. I have littke doubt. IMO his final year with the CH he was still our best dman and that was while over using him and minimizing his effectiveness.

He's got a unique skill set that is hard to compare him to, but I think of him as a Lidstrom light, similar strengths. Obviously he can't be used in a shutdown role, but he has his place.

Besides, whats the harm? Maybe I'm wrong and underestimate the impact of father time, offer him a coaching position after his 10 games. Not resigning him was just as bad as how Gained handled Saku.

This guy should be considered a habs legend, but because management stunk the place out over his career and he never won a cup we just throw him away like trash. I could see moving on if we had an NHL caliber defense, but ours remains one of the very worst in the league. There is no risk here, what we lose Peca on waivers, good luck and good riddance. This is an opportunity to make things right, at worst it doesnt work out, at best we get a much needed jolt to the PP. With a semi respectful PP we likely would have been fighting for 2nd in the division last year.

I mean we gave 3 years and 3.5m to Chiarot and despite age, that is a bigger risk than any risk that comes attached to Markov, a f***ing habs legend in my eyes.

Last edited:

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
He'd still be a calming presence on the back end with an elite first pass and proficient on the PP.
And how many shorthanded goals will he be responsible for cause he can't catch the opposing player.

keep him off the PK and use his strengths.
That's probably one of the spots he'd still be useful. If he's so smart a player, why limit his role to the PP?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I imagine a player coming here and read he is a scrap. Not very good for his confidence and doesn't help Habs reputation around the league. Instead of reading let's give him a chance and welcome, he reads he is a scrap. Destructive posters ruins this habs team more than any move Bergevin can do.
Maybe we should go back and read what was said when the Gal-Domi was done or when the Paccio-Tatar-Suzuki was done. Maybe some very negative posts were written when Danault and a second pick came in return of Weise and Fleishman. Would any of us want Weise and Fleishman and give Danault and that second pick? Or Diaz and Fleishman and give Danault? Just asking ...
No.offense, but someone posting here about Kulak whether positively or negatively will have absolutely no impact on his performance. Do you seriously think professional athletes are motivated in any way about things they may or not read on a forum. They made this it far because they are usually fairly motivated ppl. Praising him will not provide him with skills he does not already have. I wish him well, he's not anyone I would ever have in my top 4. I mean that with no disrespect, He's not good enough.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
blind hate is just as dumb as blind support. Expand on ''the right thing''. I'm rusted go easy on me ;)
It's not blind hate, I have been here through it all.
-Hiring Therrien
--Trading Subban
- Trading Sergachev for Laflamme
-Doubling down on Therrien
-The Radulov fiasco
-Proclaiming the D was better after he basically gutted it.
-Hanging on to the worst coach in the AHL
-Took him forever to trade Pacioretty
-Markov first come first serve(10 games short of 1000)
-Refusing to acknowledge any type of direction, the narrative changes by the week
-Alzner
-Threw 45 million in the direction of Lucic(thank god he hates Montreal)
I am getting tired and I am sure there are many posters here that can list many more of instances where MB didn't do the right thing.:laugh:

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
Say what you want, but the last couple of years Bergevin has put his stamp on the team, and has unwaveringly chosen a direction: build through the draft. He sees we are not one LD away from contender status, he sees making a splash would be sacrificing our future and will hamstring us in a year when he has to sign our own players to more expensive contracts. If you do not see that. I cannot help you.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Say what you want, but the last couple of years Bergevin has put his stamp on the team, and has unwaveringly chosen a direction: build through the draft. He sees we are not one LD away from contender status, he sees making a splash would be sacrificing our future and will hamstring us in a year when he has to sign our own players to more expensive contracts. If you do not see that. I cannot help you.
He didn't choose it though! He only resorted to it after striking out in free agency! We were told that he was hoarding cap space to try and make a big offer to Tavares, I believe that Molson even hinted at it. JT refused to talk to him and right in the moment he decided to commit to building for the future, the man and his boss are frauds.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
-Hiring Therrien
--Trading Subban

-The Radulov fiasco
-Refusing to acknowledge any type of direction, the narrative changes by the week
-Alzner
I am getting tired and I am sure there are many posters here that can list many more of instances where MB didn't do the right thing.:laugh:

hey I said go easy ! :)

for the bolded.

- Turned the last team in the league into a playoff team (not going to argue he stayed too long but the hire was not a problem for me)
- I prefer weber. Subban was traded again for nothing.
- Radulov tool the exact same offer we gave him in dallas.
- Are you disappointed by the pacioretty return ?
- Younger and faster. Recent moves indicate the direction is respected.
- So we need to make a list of mistakes that never materialized ?

that summer : losing radulov/markov, getting alzner and saying our D was better ... I mean you can't. I wanted him gone too, but I have no complains over his work for the past year and a half. He's a guy learning on the job but I think things are moving in the right direction. for now.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
And how many shorthanded goals will he be responsible for cause he can't catch the opposing player.

That's probably one of the spots he'd still be useful. If he's so smart a player, why limit his role to the PP?
If Weber isn't getting caught, Markov isn't. Or do you honestly think Weber has any sort of speed? How about Benn? He was atrocious on d and a complete pylon, everyone was freaking out about losing him. You think Markov is worse than Benn?

No PK, because our PK isn't that bad and we need to limit his ice time. Our PP sucks, that's where we need him the most and the transition outlet pass that springs our offense. That was how 50% of Pacioretty's goals were scored and since Markov left, clearing our zone meant dumping the puck off the boards and hoping it doesn't end up on the stick of the opposition or icing. We chase after it and get creamed on the forecheck.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Likely close to none. This guy knows his limitations and has always played within himself. For every step he's lost and he's lost a few he will make up for it with smart decisions and instinctively making the right decisions. Kulak won't cost us any because he shouldn't ever be there.
Because its a role that can be filled by almost anyone. Doesnt require elite hockey sense, puck skills etc to handle pking. Half Gill was an elite pker because of his physical size, reach and stature. Plus pking can be taxing on a 40 year old. The idea is to utilize his strengthz, markov has always been a good pker, but he's also always been an elite PPer, I'm surprised you need to ask this question tbh.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
hey I said go easy ! :)

for the bolded.

- Turned the last team in the league into a playoff team (not going to argue he stayed too long but the hire was not a problem for me)
- I prefer weber. Subban was traded again for nothing.
- Radulov tool the exact same offer we gave him in dallas.
- Are you disappointed by the pacioretty return ?
- Younger and faster. Recent moves indicate the direction is respected.
- So we need to make a list of mistakes that never materialized ?

that summer : losing radulov/markov, getting alzner and saying our D was better ... I mean you can't. I wanted him gone too, but I have no complains over his work for the past year and a half. He's a guy learning on the job but I think things are moving in the right direction. for now.
You asked me to list some of the things he did wrong and I did go easy by the way.:)
I disagree on the Subban for Weber deal, it was a scapegoat trade as a means to save his buddy Michel. Bergevin tried to land Glass and settled for Suzuki (Tatar was a salary dump for LV) and it should not be difficult to get a good return for a consistent 30 goal man on a sweetheart contract. We needed to keep Radulov and based on the money he tossed around to guys like Alzner and Drouin, I firmly believe that he didn't care to retain Radulov. The Lucic move did not materialize but the intention and poor judgment are what scared me. I do not trust him and if he is finally deciding to do the right thing it has to be a case of him not having the same powers that he once held and input is coming from others in the organization.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Maybe you are in the wrong thread. What does this have to with Andrei Markov signing a 1 year contract? This is going to hamstring us in a year ? What are you on about lad?

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
We know MB can't/won't get past his ego and do the classy thing and give Markov his 10 games and retire a Hab. At least that is what I feel. Hope I'm wrong. But assuming I'm right...it would be rather amusing if either Toronto or Boston gives him a contract to play his 10 games where his last game is in Montreal to give Habs fans the chance to properly send off Markov. Yup, I truly think those two teams are 'classier' than our current organization. Not that I can see them doing it but it would be highly amusing if they did.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
-Hiring Therrien
--Trading Subban
-The Radulov fiasco
-Alzner
He brought back pleks for more money and he is less usefull than markov, but of course one isn't russian. If ANYONE should have hit 1000 games in a habs uniform it was Saku and Markov. The big disgrace to me of gainey throwing away saku is NOTHING compared to how MB treated Markov. When anyone mentions gainey doing this(or Gauthier) I know that what MB did is far worse. He didn't say we are moving in a new dircetion, he just said first come first serve. Sickening.

I still feel the reason Saku was let go was because he was going to tie the record of longest serving captain, and we can't have that! His replacements have all been absolute shit since.

The Markov saga is worse because its not like Markov will be moving a different home grown player down some nebulous chart either. He would just be able to retire in a habs jersey after 1000 games, maybe help out, and maybe even sell some tickets that MB has done nothing to improve.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He didn't choose it though! He only resorted to it after striking out in free agency! We were told that he was hoarding cap space to try and make a big offer to Tavares, I believe that Molson even hinted at it. JT refused to talk to him and right in the moment he decided to commit to building for the future, the man and his boss are frauds.
Again..this makes no sense.

Of course if a player like John Tavares hits the market, you have to inquire if he'd play for you.

The Rangers are in the middle of a rebuild...yet they signed Artemi Panarin.

Using your qualifier above, I guess that makes them frauds?

In the middle of a rebuild they're making a big splash signing Panarin...

But somehow, I have a feeling you're going to find a way to spin this...

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
-Hiring Therrien
--Trading Subban
-The Radulov fiasco
-Alzner

This list in majority is filled with elements we couldn't prove he did in the first place, while the remainder are things that can be argued either way (and for the most part aren't bad at all). Outside of the Alzner signing, there really isn't much here to complain about.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Again..this makes no sense.

Of course if a player like John Tavares hits the market, you have to inquire if he'd play for you.

The Rangers are in the middle of a rebuild...yet they signed Artemi Panarin.

Using your qualifier above, I guess that makes them frauds?

In the middle of a rebuild they're making a big splash signing Panarin...

But somehow, I have a feeling you're going to find a way to spin this...
We have not claimed to be rebuilding, how are we the same as the Rangers? Marc Bergevin has always said "make the playoffs and anything can happen". He never once said openly that we are not good enough and need to start fresh. He has always said that he was proud of what he has done and wouldn't change a thing. "It's on me" comes to mind as well. I don't believe him and thus the reason I called him and his boss a fraud and frankly that has very little to do with any other team in the league.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This list in majority is filled with elements we couldn't prove he did in the first place, while the remainder are things that can be argued either way (and for the most part aren't bad at all). Outside of the Alzner signing, there really isn't much here to complain about.
Which one was I wrong on?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
We have not claimed to be rebuilding, how are we the same as the Rangers? Marc Bergevin has always said "make the playoffs and anything can happen". He never once said openly that we are not good enough and need to start fresh. He has always said that he was proud of what he has done and wouldn't change a thing. "It's on me" comes to mind as well. I don't believe him and thus the reason I called him and his boss a fraud and frankly that has very little to do with any other team in the league.
Who cares if he didn't say that...the results speak for themselves.

Do you need to feel a rain drop fall on your head to know its raining?

At the end of the day, what Bergevin says or what the Rangers write to their fans in a letter is meaningless.

What matters is action and BOTH organizations have taken steps towards their own objectives.

Reactions: Acadien86

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Who cares if he didn't say that...the results speak for themselves.

Do you need to feel a rain drop fall on your head to know its raining?

At the end of the day, what Bergevin says or what the Rangers write to their fans in a letter is meaningless.

What matters is action and BOTH organizations have taken steps towards their own objectives.

I don't think that we have taken a step towards anything and once the season starts I will see if I am right or wrong. If I see Jordan Weal on the pp and Kotkaniemi and Poehling on the bench it will be all of the evidence I need. If I see those good young players in prominent roles on the team it will be evidence of a reset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->