Rumor: Andrei Markov's Agent Has Contacted Habs (Looking for $2M Contract)

Do you want Markov back?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
No harm in signing him...he's 35+ so sign him to his 2m

650k base
10th game bonus = 100k
25th game bonus = 150k
41st game bonus = 250k
55th game bonus = 350k
70th game bonus = 500k

Or something like that. Unlikely he even makes it to 41 imo

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
The Canadiens had two major problems with their power play last season. They didn't win a high enough percentage of face-offs and they had difficulty setting up in the zone. Markov would not be taking face-offs and would not bring the puck up ice, so he would not address either of those problems.

As for the bolded, setting up in the zone and zone entry are two different things.

Markov would certainly help with setting up in the zone, he is calm and can slow down the game. He wouldn't be able to carry it in though, but zone entry wasn't really a problem for us last year like you claim imo.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Marc Bergevin is all about Marc Bergevin and everyone can see it, he is the single biggest detriment to this team having the success it should have. He inherited a decent team and all he had to do was add to it and yes that would mean that he would have had to make tough decisions along the way but at least he should have turned what he had into something instead of tearing it apart and then have the stupid idea that he actually made things better.

He still forges on with the quest to find the next Paul Byron while being unable to address the real needs of the team, he is wasting time, year after year. Prospects are great and there are some here that are quick to defend him by listing their names but the same people will defend Drouin or Lehkonen because they claim that those players need more time. It would be then safe to conclude(based on their logic) that the 4-5 good young prospects will also need "more time". Posters talk as if Poehling and Suzuki and Brook will walk in and take over and you and I both know that will not happen.

You also know that other teams have good prospects and also that they are not going to sit by and wait for Bergevin to finally get that winning lotto number, proactively well run teams are always trying to get better but we are stuck in transition/rebuild/make the playoffs/reset mode.
Well said.

Most of us know enough about hockey to actually be a fan of, or get excited by team run by an idiot of his ilk.

Bergevin came in and kept the goalie and the crest. Pissed on the rest.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Better then 40 year old markov? I would be surprised if he wasn’t
How many games has Kulak played as a number one defenceman? Just because Markov is over the hill in the eyes of many, I would still place him ahead of the scrap heap that Bergevin has assembled to play the left side of our D. That says much more about Bergevin than it does Markov's dwindling abilities as an aging player.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Is he? Brett Kulak put up better offensive numbers in the NHL last season than Andrei Markov put up in the KHL. Would anyone honestly want the Habs to sign Andrei Markov had he never played a game for the Canadiens, or would people say it sounds like another BargainBin move?

Well a lot of people were happy with the Gonchar trade even though Gonchar was around the same age and not close to the all-star and had no prior Habs connection.

But let's also not pretend that Kulak isn't also a risk, the year before with Calgary he didn't even hit 10 points. He's a guy that could easily end up back in the AHL. Plenty of players has put up one good year only to go back to normal shortly afterwards.

Markov might still be able to play at a good level. Unless we are going out and getting a legitimate top-3 defenceman, then yes it makes sense to consider Markov.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
How many games has Kulak played as a number one defenceman? Just because Markov is over the hill in the eyes of many, I would still place him ahead of the scrap heap that Bergevin has assembled to play the left side of our D. That says much more about Bergevin than it does Markov's dwindling abilities as an aging player.
I imagine a player coming here and read he is a scrap. Not very good for his confidence and doesn't help Habs reputation around the league. Instead of reading let's give him a chance and welcome, he reads he is a scrap. Destructive posters ruins this habs team more than any move Bergevin can do.
Maybe we should go back and read what was said when the Gal-Domi was done or when the Paccio-Tatar-Suzuki was done. Maybe some very negative posts were written when Danault and a second pick came in return of Weise and Fleishman. Would any of us want Weise and Fleishman and give Danault and that second pick? Or Diaz and Fleishman and give Danault? Just asking ...

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'd take Kulak over Marky without question. The Markov dream needs to die just like his skating ability has.
Markov was an very good player 3 years ago. Markov had 2 g, 12 a in 68 games in KHL, a lower quality league, last year.
Kulak is a nhl player in his prime and still can improve because he is young.
Markov is a dream that is fading away. We should get over it.
Let's see if any other 30 teams will give a contract to Markov.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I imagine a player coming here and read he is a scrap. Not very good for his confidence and doesn't help Habs reputation around the league. Instead of reading let's give him a chance and welcome, he reads he is a scrap. Destructive posters ruins this habs team more than any move Bergevin can do.
Maybe we should go back and read what was said when the Gal-Domi was done or when the Paccio-Tatar-Suzuki was done. Maybe some very negative posts were written when Danault and a second pick came in return of Weise and Fleishman. Would any of us want Weise and Fleishman and give Danault and that second pick? Or Diaz and Fleishman and give Danault? Just asking ...
giphy.gif

Guys getting paid 750k to 1 million a year to chase a puck around the ice must be devastated at the thought of being analyzed on a hockey forum! We have missed the playoffs 3 of the last 4 years in a results based business and that's what you choose to reply to me with! We are still mired in mediocrity with all of the guys you listed, where is our big go for it types of moves? Where is the commitment to a direction? Or are we just another Steve Ott or Jon Scott away from being pushed over the top here?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Markov was an very good player 3 years ago. Markov had 2 g, 12 a in 68 games in KHL, a lower quality league, last year.
Kulak is a nhl player in his prime and still can improve because he is young.
Markov is a dream that is fading away. We should get over it.
Let's see if any other 30 teams will give a contract to Markov.
What if Markov was on cruise control last year with his real focus being a return to the NHL? WHy would we be okay with burying Karl Alzner for 5 million but seemingly unable to accommodate the general on a 1 year deal? What am I missing here? We just gave Charles Hudon 800 grand to eat hot dogs but we can't give the general a million five to actually contribute? Head scratcher for me.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
What if Markov was on cruise control last year with his real focus being a return to the NHL? WHy would we be okay with burying Karl Alzner for 5 million but seemingly unable to accommodate the general on a 1 year deal? What am I missing here? We just gave Charles Hudon 800 grand to eat hot dogs but we can't give the general a million five to actually contribute? Head scratcher for me.
People suddenly think Hudon is not an easily replaceable asset and are worried about him losing his spot on the team if Markov comes along.

Never thought I'd see the day that Hudon is considered more valuable than Markov, even at 40.

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
How many games did Mark Streit play in his career as a number 1 D? You saw how he turned out for us at the same age as Markov. Kulak had a better season in the NHL then Markov did in the KHL last season. The mighty Darren Dietz blew Markov out of the water last season. Remember the playoff series against the rangers how everyone was saying Markov is done? That was 3 season ago..

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
How many games did Mark Streit play in his career as a number 1 D? You saw how he turned out for us at the same age as Markov. Kulak had a better season in the NHL then Markov did in the KHL last season. The mighty Darren Dietz blew Markov out of the water last season. Remember the playoff series against the rangers how everyone was saying Markov is done? That was 3 season ago..
Our gm signed him and told Markov it was first come first serve. Our GM signed Karl Alzner for a hideous amount and term, I could keep going. Who has been as good of a D partner for Shea Weber in the absence of the general? It is also funny to say that he was done but yet Julien played him over 25 minutes a game against the Rangers in that playoff series. You don't do that with guys that are done, guys that are done and hang on too long find themselves on the bottom pairing, Alzner can't even make it there.

Reactions: Edgy

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Our gm signed him and told Markov it was first come first serve. Our GM signed Karl Alzner for a hideous amount and term, I could keep going. Who has been as good of a D partner for Shea Weber in the absence of the general? It is also funny to say that he was done but yet Julien played him over 25 minutes a game against the Rangers in that playoff series. You don't do that with guys that are done, guys that are done and hang on too long find themselves on the bottom pairing, Alzner can't even make it there.
You can list as much d*mb moves Bergevin did (Streit, Alzner, Schlemko, etc) but it doesn't prove Markov deserves a spot. The basic of your agument is Markov might be bad but there is worse (or there was worse that him in the last 2 years). I would say let's give a chance to Kulak or another young player and see what happen. There is a time when a player gets old and hook his skates, like Mario Lemieux, Gretzky or any great player. On the other post you mention the poor production of Markov last year in khl as he was on cruise to make a come back in good shape this year. I don't buy this, this is non-sense. I think Mete at his third nhl year is on his way to make things happen. I prefer give a chance to a young player, that's my point of view.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You can list as much d*mb moves Bergevin did (Streit, Alzner, Schlemko, etc) but it doesn't prove Markov deserves a spot. The basic of your agument is Markov might be bad but there is worse (or there was worse that him in the last 2 years). I would say let's give a chance to Kulak or another young player and see what happen. There is a time when a player gets old and hook his skates, like Mario Lemieux, Gretzky or any great player. On the other post you mention the poor production of Markov last year in khl as he was on cruise to make a come back in good shape this year. I don't buy this, this is non-sense. I think Mete at his third nhl year is on his way to make things happen. I prefer give a chance to a young player, that's my point of view.
What would be wrong with giving Markov a one year deal? We don't need him on the top pair, he can be a good player on the pp and move up and down the lineup when necessary, we have tossed a fortune at scraps so why would it be such a big deal to sign Markov for one year? Mete has not even scored a goal at the NHL level and while I think he will be a decent NHL defender, he will not put up a lot of points at the NHL level.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
What would be wrong with giving Markov a one year deal? We don't need him on the top pair, he can be a good player on the pp and move up and down the lineup when necessary, we have tossed a fortune at scraps so why would it be such a big deal to sign Markov for one year? Mete has not even scored a goal at the NHL level and while I think he will be a decent NHL defender, he will not put up a lot of points at the NHL level.
I don't mind give Markov a one year deal, let Julien use him when and where he wants, as long as Markov act as a good soldier, accept his role, etc. If he comes back you will see me wishing him welcome and all the good words.
But if Markov is unhappy of his limited ice time, he will be a distraction for the team and I think it's the last thing Julien wants.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
I just want the Habs to do the classy thing for once. But MB...after the Subban thing, the Radulov/Markov thing...the Scott thing...just seems Habs and classy hasn't been a thing for a long time. Just give Markov his 10 games and let him retire a Hab. If he can actually still play, let him play the year (or two). Just let him retire a Hab. Is it so hard to actually be classy for once? It's not as if we are tight on cap space...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->