Andrei Kostitsyn

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
When Andrei decides that he wants to be a player in the NHL he'll be quite good. But until then, he's got bust or career journeyman all over him.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I wouldn't put to much emphasis on Kostitsyn's numbers in the AHL over the last 2 seasons. He's the type of guy that will flourish when playing alongside talented players and that just wasn't the case last year in Hamilton. I'm looking forward to see what he will do with Grabovsky this year... I have feeling they could both put up very good numbers. Also, we will only have a true picture of his potential when he plays in the NHL.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
take a look at what brendl did in the ahl and then what he turned out to be. he also had mediocre season in the ahl and he is also all about offense. he didnt turn out to good.and the hype for him was also big. same goes for vorobiev and yakubov. if you are a player thats all about offense and you cant even produce in the ahl how are you going to do it in the nhl. i'm not saying he is a bad hockey player. i just dont think he will ever be good enough for a top 2 line with any team in the league. and imo he will never hit 60 points in one season. i think he's numbers last year was pretty bad considering he was 21 and playing in the ahl. just look at o'sullivans season int the same league and they are the same age. and dont pull the crap about him having better players on he's team. he's linemates was kirby law and eric westrum. just compare their stats from 04/05 and 05/06.

kurby law: with o'sullivan. 80gp 43g 67a 110 points without o'sullivan 80gp 25g 24a 49 points

eric westrum: with o'sullivan 71gp 34g 64a 98 points without o'sullivan (on another team btw) 80gp 18g 15a 33 points.

O'Sullivan is a great talent, bad comparison though. O'Sullivan would have been a top 10 draft pick had not it been for his moron father.

And what are you talking about, Brendl scored big in the WHL. That's where he scored over 132 goals over the span of two seasons, not in the AHL. His best season in the AHL was in 04 with Lowell, and he scored 33 points in 33 games.

So I don't exactly know what you're talking about using Brendl as an example. Brendl played CHL, Kostitsyn never did. He came straight over from Russia, raw, and undeveloped, so it's taken a load of time for him to come around.

O'Sullivan and Brendl both played in junior before playing in the AHL, and O'Sullivan had experienced linemates in career minor leaguers Law, and Westrum. Brendl hasn't done squat in the AHL aside from 04.

Terrible comparisons, you were just trying to bash Kostitsyn, and it's pretty clear that you don't like him, or know a damn thing about him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i just want to say that i follow every player picked in the first round. and i have followed kostitsyn since he was drafted and imo he is one of the three players in the first round who has developed least since draft day. you are just overhyping a decent prospect. and the guy that said the wings didnt have any prospects is pretty wrong. we dont have the best prospect , but we haven't had close to the same draft positions as the habs, but we still allways seem to find something in the late rounds. like zetterberg and datsyuk as the most recent. here is some of our top prospects howard, kindl, emmerton, ryno, mcgrath. its not the best prospect pipeline in the league but its definately not bad. and the compairson with brendl was only based on playing style not where he has played before he turned pro. and the o'sullivan thing was just because you allways fall back on that he is young when he plays bad. and i just wanted you to see that there is other players the same age who isn't having that problem. as for the language issues. i know this is a REALLY bad compairson,but i will say it anyway. ovechkin came in to the league without knowing a word of english to. and he even did much much better then expected. thats all i have to say right now. its your turn to bang away:help:

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
i just want to say that i follow every player picked in the first round. and i have followed kostitsyn since he was drafted and imo he is one of the three players in the first round who has developed least since draft day.

Regardless of how his progression has compared other prospects in his draft class, he has still progressed.

2004-05 GP-66 G-12 A-11 PTS-23 PIM-24
2005-06 GP-64 G-18 A-29 PTS-47 PIM-76

His production doubled from his frst year in the AHL to his second, and, as previously mentionned, his defensive game has improved by leaps and bounds as well. It remains to be seen how he will perform this year (though he played well enough to make Montreal's roster out of camp, but was caught up in the numbers games), but, at this point, I don't think you can say he has stagnated as a player, and if he's still noticeably improving, I don't know how you can think he is close to busting. Obviously he's been a disappointment so far, but there's a difference between being a disappointment and being a bust, especially just three years after his draft year.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Regardless of how his progression has compared other prospects in his draft class, he has still progressed.

2004-05 GP-66 G-12 A-11 PTS-23 PIM-24
2005-06 GP-64 G-18 A-29 PTS-47 PIM-76

His production doubled from his frst year in the AHL to his second, and, as previously mentionned, his defensive game has improved by leaps and bounds as well. It remains to be seen how he will perform this year (though he played well enough to make Montreal's roster out of camp, but was caught up in the numbers games), but, at this point, I don't think you can say he has stagnated as a player, and if he's still noticeably improving, I don't know how you can think he is close to busting. Obviously he's been a disappointment so far, but there's a difference between being a disappointment and being a bust, especially just three years after his draft year.

It's simple, it's just because when it comes to Kostitsyn, it seems the generic thing to say on HF is that he's a boom or bust prospect. Which I completely disagree with.

I think Kostitsyn will definately play in the NHL, whether he's a generic 2nd line winger who can pot 25-30 goals every other year but never truly finds his niche or a 1st line winger capable of 40 goals and 80pts every years remains to be seen.

However if Kostitsyn develops into the generic 2nd line winger, how can that be considered a bust, a disapointment yes, but a bust no. He's got the shot, passing ability and size that will always tantalize NHL teams. He's truly got a ton of talent, just needs to harness it and give a more consistent effort night in night out.

As you mentionned, he doubled in his output from his 1st professional season ( a season even the Habs management believe should of been spent in the CHL ) in 2 less games, in a team that wasn't known for it's offense. His progression hasn't been as dramatic as others from his draft class, but he's still progressing at a steady pace and far from being the potential bust alot of people here make him out to be. It'll be an interesting year for Kostitsyn

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Kostitsyn doesn't have this ton of talent most habs fans are talking about. He's skilled but not that much. He's an average skater, great hands, great shot, below-average vision, not really intense on the ice, doesn't make a lot of things happen by himself... He's got the hands and the shot, but that's it. The rest is really average, you can't say this guy has a ton of talent.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Kostitsyn doesn't have this ton of talent most habs fans are talking about. He's skilled but not that much. He's an average skater, great hands, great shot, below-average vision, not really intense on the ice, doesn't make a lot of things happen by himself... He's got the hands and the shot, but that's it. The rest is really average, you can't say this guy has a ton of talent.

I don't know...I think he's got great vision and he often makes some sweet feeds, his shot arsenal is among the most impressive i've seen in any player, he's got decent size and is an above average skater.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
I don't know...I think he's got great vision and he often makes some sweet feeds, his shot arsenal is among the most impressive i've seen in any player, he's got decent size and is an above average skater.

I agree but he doesn't seem to bring those aspects to his game every shift. It's realy fustrating !!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I agree but he doesn't seem to bring those aspects to his game every shift. It's realy fustrating !!!

It is frustrating...he's got a heavy and accurate shot, but he has trouble finding open areas on the ice and exploiting it. Consistency is an issue with most young players so i'm not too worried about that, he needs to work on his play away from the puck though.

Baisleyens

Sep 12, 2005
really?? he didnt know any more then kostitsyn, but its the same with allmost every player coming over from russia.

Not that it really matters but Ovechkin could at least hold an interview and as of now I've never seen AK even speak in English...

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Not that it really matters but Ovechkin could at least hold an interview and as of now I've never seen AK even speak in English...

he could say yes and no. im sure kostitsyn can do that to if he tryed hard enough. did you hear ovechkins english in the 06 draft. and that was after a full year in the league.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

and he was drafted 10th in the deepest draft ever why exactly?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
and he was drafted 10th in the deepest draft ever why exactly?

Well for me that was a mistake by Timmins. Even at that time, though some experts were saying that in pure talent alone he was definately top 5, there was too many question marks to choose him over tons of other guys who were sureshot of making it and that did make it actually.

There's tons of stupid comments about the Price pick, but actually if there's one pick we should be more talking about, it's that one since it's been actually a longer period of time but most likely 'cause pratically all of the guys chosen after him are doing much better. Jessiman, Pouliot, Burns, Boyle, Belle and Tambellini are the only guys I wouldn't take. But it would not have been for Carter since he was mostly a consensus for late 1st round. My choice was Getzlaf at the time, Bernier and Parise were other guys for me. And if we wanted a D, Seabrook would've been my choice but I was more enclined to go with forward at that time. And a big skilled centerman like Getzlaf was definately on top of my list while the big power forward that Bernier was and still is was very close. Didn't matter about that out of shape comment, he still was great while being out of shape, imagine when he would be in shape.....

Didn't like the pick then, still don't like it now not because of the guy himself but because of the others that were available and are proving to much more valuable even though Kosty will be in the NHL and will do OK. But you win some and lose some, and Timmins, for me, made a mistake with that pick.

But based on that, even though it's a little stepback, I'm not going to hope for him to be fired, just look at the rest of the prospects that we have, and you'll see that he didn't do too bad a job.

I'm sure some teams would like to have Higgins now, so that I'm sure some teams would love to pick again and have Chipchura as well......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->