Andrei Kostitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maithz

Just to tell that Andrei got 1 goal in 4 games with the Habs , but he plays around 3 min per game , he is playing very well , + 1 though . He play on the 4th line with Garth Murray and Chris Higgins and since 2 games they have the best line , always in the offensive , putting pressure on d-man . I still think Andrei will become a terrific goalscorer .

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
The guy obviously has the skills, but looking at other guys to come out of the 2003 draft, perhaps they picked the wrong guy. I like him, very good offensively but he is and was a risky pick. Hockeysfutures 8.5b grading of him was a little bit optimistic, id give him an 8c or even 8d.

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I agree, however his little brother seems to be doing very well. The habs have had a tendency of drafting the wrong brother. ie. Hossa, Bure.. Maybe they got it right this time by drafting both. ;)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Richard_Zednik said:
he simply doesnt wana be in the ahl

Who does? :dunno:

Kostitsyn's got all the tools to be a high scoring winger...he just needs to put it all together and refine those skills...he's only 20 years old, so why people have already given up on him is beyond me...

AD

Aug 2, 2005
Bigassofficetower
417 TO MTL said:
Who does? :dunno:

Kostitsyn's got all the tools to be a high scoring winger...he just needs to put it all together and refine those skills...he's only 20 years old, so why people have already given up on him is beyond me...

Habs fans give up on prospects when they are in the minors, but the second we let them go or trade them, then they reacquire their bluechip heritage.

See e.g.: Hainsey, Hossa, Balej

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
davedave said:
The little bit he's shown with Montreal doesn't seem to be at all like the player he's been statistically and reportedly in Hamilton. A real wildcard.

He was not playing well in Hamilton in the games I saw, no intensity, wasn't working hard etc... His coach called him out on it and cut his ice time. I can't say I have watched every Hamilton game but I've seen a lot so far this year and I believe that after he took a stick to the face and had to wear a sheild plus around the same time his coach called him out on his play, he really started to turn things around. Was backchecking hard, taking the body, using his teammates better (hence he went on a mini scoring streak that saw him pick up 8 assists)

His coach was happy with his play and even rewarded him with more ice time, to the point where he actually saw time on the PK and was running the point on the PP. After that he got the call or calls since it's been a yo-yo between Hamilton and the Habs.

You said it best though, a real wildcard.

Lots of offensive skills but just hasn't been able to put it all together. As a Hab fan I hope he does but I also have seen the Hainsey's and Hossa's and know that he's got his work cut out for him.

Sammy*

aymand said:
Habs fans give up on prospects when they are in the minors, but the second we let them go or trade them, then they reacquire their bluechip heritage.

See e.g.: Hainsey, Hossa, Balej
:biglaugh: :biglaugh:
I assume that was tongue in cheek?

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Richard_Zednik said:
he simply doesnt wana be in the ahl
That's not a choice that he gets to make. Could he be a bit of a prima-donna? If so, I don't like him already. You go where the organization tells you to go. If he went to the AHL and ripped it up he might be back with the big club already. Moping around about being in the AHL isn't helping his chances at becoming an elite scorer at all.

ToNedOuT

Apr 22, 2004
Victoria BC
ryz said:
That's not a choice that he gets to make. Could he be a bit of a prima-donna? If so, I don't like him already. You go where the organization tells you to go. If he went to the AHL and ripped it up he might be back with the big club already. Moping around about being in the AHL isn't helping his chances at becoming an elite scorer at all.

He never came out and said he didn't want to be in the AHL....that was the original posters assumption.

HardHitHorton

Dec 29, 2002
Florida
Visit site
I wonder why Montreal even has him in the NHL. There is no reason to if he is playing this amount of time. Tuesday, he played 1:32. December 15, he played 1:49.
Andrei was rated the 20th best prospect on Hockey's Future in August. I'd assume most people don't believe he is now from the way people talk about him on these boards. What do you guys think?

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
HardHitHorton said:
Andrei was rated the 20th best prospect on Hockey's Future in August. I'd assume most people don't believe he is now from the way people talk about him on these boards. What do you guys think?

There's two ingredients to a prospect: flat-out potential and the likelihood of reaching it. It depends on how you weight each ingredient.

In Kostitsyn's case, the more weight you put on pure skill and talent, the better he looks. The more weight you put on intangible qualities, the more of a coin flip he becomes. Chipchura is a good contrast. It's his latter qualities that make him such a sure-fire NHLer, even though his skills will probably limit him to a 3rd line role at most. Who's the better prospect? It depends on what you value more.

I don't know enough to rank him among all prospects. 20th seems high, but whatever.

PS: about his ice-time. In his case, it's not about skills, it's about doing the little things that are expected of any NHLer. The fact that he was brought up at all just sends the message that he will play in the NHL once he improves those little things. It's one thing to have an AHL coach talk about what it takes to get to the next level, especially when you already have the talent, but it's another to see it first-hand. At least, that's what I think they're doing.

Liquidrage*

HardHitHorton said:

I think ranking him that high in August was an embarassment for HF.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Liquidrage said:
I think ranking him that high in August was an embarassment for HF.

Why? After all it's not only based on accomplishments, but also on top-end potential, and Kostitsyn's is pretty high.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Kyle Chipchura said:
Why? After all it's not only based on accomplishments, but also on top-end potential, and Kostitsyn's is pretty high.

Right, but it's not based only on top end potential either. To be ranked 20th Kostitsyn should have at least some accomplishment on his resume and so far he really doesn't.

Maithz

HardHitHorton said:
I wonder why Montreal even has him in the NHL. There is no reason to if he is playing this amount of time. Tuesday, he played 1:32. December 15, he played 1:49.

For a player who play 1:30 in a game he has 1 goal and his at +1 . Everytime he is on the ice his line is doing something .

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ruckus007 said:
Right, but it's not based only on top end potential either. To be ranked 20th Kostitsyn should have at least some accomplishment on his resume and so far he really doesn't.

I think he played 4 WJC's and hold numerous records .

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Jozeph_Balej said:
I think he played 4 WJC's and hold numerous records .

I don't know what numerous record you're talking about. Frankly I don't really care. From what I looked at, Kostitsyn appears to have had one strong (very strong) WJC out of four. Hardly exemplary, and not enough to change my mind. His accomplishments don't warrent his standing on the last HF ranking.

I'm not saying Kostitsyn is a bad prospect, personally I like him. But he's a long term project who personally I feel isn't being handled well by the Habs. There's no reason to rush him along right now. Frankly I don't think he should even be in the AHL yet. I don't know if the Habs tried to put him in the CHL or not but I think that would've been a preferred course of action. Or at least more time in Russia. The Sabres brought Jiri Novotny over at about the same age as Kostitsyn (far lower ceiling admittedly but supposedly played a more "North American style game) and after four years he's finally starting to look like the player Buffalo drafted. Don't be surprised if Kostitsyn takes as long to realize his potential. There's nothing wrong with him being behind his classmates right now but a lot of players drafted behind him have moved past Kostitsyn. Nothing wrong with that either.

Sorry I hurt your feelings. No need to get so defensive.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
Jacobv2 said:
4 mediocre to sub-par WJCs.
umm...he is belarussian so he gets to play with let's see....hmm...nobody!!!
Second of all, he's a winger/sniper type player, so he definitely needs someone to feed him the puck.
Third, he's the best player on belarus, and the only one with any real potential, so all the teams are focusing in on him like hawks.

With all that, he still put up some decent points. I would say that his performance were more above-average than anything.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Namso said:
umm...he is belarussian so he gets to play with let's see....hmm...nobody!!!
Second of all, he's a winger/sniper type player, so he definitely needs someone to feed him the puck.
Third, he's the best player on belarus, and the only one with any real potential, so all the teams are focusing in on him like hawks.

With all that, he still put up some decent points. I would say that his performance were more above-average than anything.
I'll compare his WJC performances to Konstantin Koltsov's stats-wise:

Koltsov- 11 GP, 7 goals, 4 assists, +7 rating, 32 PIM.

Kostitsyn- 24 GP, 6 goals, 5 assists, -18 rating, 8 PIM.

All the other teams were focusing on Koltsov too but he still managed to put up better numbers.

It seems like the only substance Kostitsyn supporters use for reference to his potential are his performances amongst his peers.. When even at that level Kostitsyn has been lackluster.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Jacobv2 said:
I'll compare his WJC performances to Konstantin Koltsov's stats-wise:

Koltsov- 11 GP, 7 goals, 4 assists, +7 rating, 32 PIM.

Kostitsyn- 24 GP, 6 goals, 5 assists, -18 rating, 8 PIM.

All the other teams were focusing on Koltsov too but he still managed to put up better numbers.

It seems like the only substance Kostitsyn supporters use for reference to his potential are his performances amongst his peers.. When even at that level Kostitsyn has been lackluster.

Andrei Kostitsyn started playing at the WJC as a 15yr old IIRC...which explains why he has double the amount of games played, sorry if he couldn't put up a PPG pace as a 15 and 16 yr old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad