Andrei Kostitsyn vs. Sergei Kostitsyn

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Who will be better and why?
Hopefully those who have seen both play can comment on this.
My vote goes to Andrei, but it seems that his development has been hindered by his lack of drive or language barriers?
Can anyone comment constructively?

Bryzga lol*

still question marks around Andrei in my opinion... lots of people are saying Sergei had a better camp than his brother.

Mobbex

Jul 29, 2006
Montreal
Andrei is a big strong guy with good speed and a sick shot, but he is hampered by poor hockey sense and positioning. He tends to keep the puck to himself and often tries to do too much with it. He would have to play a simpler game to be effective, he'd have to rely on is shot more and get into the open ice more often. If he could do that, he could become a Sykora-like, «stealthy» goalscorer, but right now his game is not polished enough for the NHL.

Sergei has made smarter choices so far and he already has adapted quite well to the North American game. He is every bit as skilled as Andrei and he is even faster than him, but he is not as big and his shot isn't in the same ballpark. Still, he has a lot of offensive flair and he has proven to be a much more adaptable player and person than his brother. I wouldn't be suprised at all if Sergei were to become a better player. He could also hit a wall and head back to Europe, but hey, some late round draft choices actually turn out to be pretty good player (Svatos?), so I think this guy worth keeping an eye on.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I think neither of them will have an nhl career. Andrei lacks drive and hockey sense and Sergei is not strong and skilled enough. Period.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Sergei looked great and much improved in his first regular season OHL game of the year. He spent literally no time in Knights camp, but stepped in with two new linemates and looked unbelievable. Sergei is also much stronger on his skates than some people in this thread are giving him credit for. I'd be shocked if Sergei doesn't score 100 points this season in London.

Last edited:

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
Andrei Kostitsyn , because he's WAY more talented . S.Kost is a bit more fast , but Andrei have a better vision , passing hability , more two-way and they shot aren't comparable .

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think neither of them will have an nhl career. Andrei lacks drive and hockey sense and Sergei is not strong and skilled enough. Period.

That's clearly the biggest concerns for both, imo it will be interesting to see how it pans out. I think both will have an nhl career but I can't predict the future, so if they don't it will likely be because of the reasons you listed. That said there's still a good bit of time for them to develop and progress, so we'll see if they do or not.

Sergei is also much stronger on his skates than some people in this thread are giving him credit for. I'd be shocked if Sergei doesn't score 100 points this season in London.
He's much stronger against 16-19 year olds but we'll have to wait and see how he handles himself against bigger, stronger players in the AHL. I could see him putting up those kind of numbers but it means little. Scoring in juniors can be misleading, imo when he turns pro next year it will be the real test for him. Personally I'm a big fan of his game, wish his brother played as hard as he does.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
if Montreal could combine Andrei's and Sergei's talents they would have the bonified NHL superstar they were hoping to draft in 2003. Andrei is missing Sergei's grit, hitting ability, and hockey sense. While Sergei doesn't have as much natural skill as Andrei he is still talented and for those of saying his shot doesn't compare to Andrei's then Andrei must have one of the best shots in the NHL cause Sergie can snipe.

Bottom line, I'll take Sergei's characteristics as those are the intangables that get you to the next level. He'll play in more NHL games the Andrei.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Here you go, you found a way to have a Habs win a comparison....;)

I still go with Andrei, he just needs to put it together and work harder.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
if Montreal could combine Andrei's and Sergei's talents they would have the bonified NHL superstar they were hoping to draft in 2003. Andrei is missing Sergei's grit, hitting ability, and hockey sense. While Sergei doesn't have as much natural skill as Andrei he is still talented and for those of saying his shot doesn't compare to Andrei's then Andrei must have one of the best shots in the NHL cause Sergie can snipe.

Bottom line, I'll take Sergei's characteristics as those are the intangables that get you to the next level. He'll play in more NHL games the Andrei.
Half joking here, but why not put the two of them on a line together? Seems like a logical thing to do. Has it been tried already?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Half joking here, but why not put the two of them on a line together? Seems like a logical thing to do. Has it been tried already?

While I was talking the impossible and actually combining them into one person, your idea isn't bad. And it will happen some day, perhaps next year. Stranger things have happened to kick start players and maybe this is what Andrei needs. Other brother combos have had great chemistry so why not. Maybe they will be like the Sedins? Did they play together at all in camp this year?

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto

Well, they've never played on a line together (I should say in NA, I suppose they may have growing up) but to be fair, they've never played on the same team either. It doesn't really look like they will anytime soon either, since S is going back to the O, and A looks Hamilton-bound. Then next year you'll have S in Hamilton, and A probably moving up to the NHL.

To answer another question, I don't think they played together much in camp/preseason this year. Lots of habs fans wanted to see a Belarus line of Kostitsyn-Grabovsky-Kostitsyn, but it never materialized.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Well, they've never played on a line together (I should say in NA, I suppose they may have growing up) but to be fair, they've never played on the same team either. It doesn't really look like they will anytime soon either, since S is going back to the O, and A looks Hamilton-bound. Then next year you'll have S in Hamilton, and A probably moving up to the NHL.

To answer another question, I don't think they played together much in camp/preseason this year. Lots of habs fans wanted to see a Belarus line of Kostitsyn-Grabovsky-Kostitsyn, but it never materialized.

They played together for Team Belarus at the U-20's, although I don't recall them playing on the same line or not.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
He's much stronger against 16-19 year olds but we'll have to wait and see how he handles himself against bigger, stronger players in the AHL. I could see him putting up those kind of numbers but it means little. Scoring in juniors can be misleading, imo when he turns pro next year it will be the real test for him. Personally I'm a big fan of his game, wish his brother played as hard as he does.

I think Sergei will have the better career because of his work ethic. I'm actually not too worried about his ability to compete against higher levels. I haven't seen any rookie tournie games this season, but I did see a big difference in Sergei's immediate effectiveness and Locke's relative ineffectiveness against similar levels of competition. Maybe he can be a Bulis-type marginal 2nd liner.

I've said just about everything I can about Andrei. He won't have an NHL career and I'm setting my Over/Under at 100 games.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
They played together for Team Belarus at the U-20's, although I don't recall them playing on the same line or not.

Good point, I completely forgot about international stuff. I'm pretty sure they never played the trio of habs prospects as a line, but I also can't remember if the the Kostitsyns played together. Good catch there.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
I think Sergei will have the better career because of his work ethic. I'm actually not too worried about his ability to compete against higher levels. I haven't seen any rookie tournie games this season, but I did see a big difference in Sergei's immediate effectiveness and Locke's relative ineffectiveness against similar levels of competition. Maybe he can be a Bulis-type marginal 2nd liner.

I've said just about everything I can about Andrei. He won't have an NHL career and I'm setting my Over/Under at 100 games.

Then I'll go with under ...:( This is the 3rd year I'm waiting to see at least a spark, a little bit of energy, some desire to impress from AKost... and I see nothing !!! God man, show us something, give us a little hope ! :help:

How I wish 1 of the 9 teams in front of us that year would have saved us from that blunder by taking him. Can you imagine us with Phaneuf instead of a fancy passionless AHLer ?? :cry: Or even Getzlaf or Carter; I hated the pick that day and it's gettin worse every day. I hope the Price pick (that I've hated just as much) will turn out better :help:

As far as Sergei is concerned, I think the outlook is better. More drive. In the same over/under, I'd go Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->