Andrei Kostitsyn potential?

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
was sort of written off as a bust, but is currently playing in the NHL and doesn't look out of place. He also has pretty good numbers in the AHL this year (50-21-31-52) which included a pretty dominant last few months.

Do you guys think he could be a 30-40 goalscorer in the NHL?

Personally, I think he has great talent, but I worry that he won't get to play his style of game in Montreal. I mean, it's almost impossible to be an offensive force in a Carbo, Muller, Jarvis system.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I thought his main weakness was how he was easy to get knock off the puck last year. And that usually doesnt bold well for a player that is not a speeder (he got good speed however).

I still had hope and from what i saw in the last few games, my hopes have been heard. The guy look a looooooooooooooot stronger on the puck to a point where i think it's not a weakness at all anymore.

Just a matter of confidence now. He will be a 2nd liner easily. Good for us, habs fans imo.

WheatiesHockey

Dec 19, 2006
Kostitsyn is about 3 years away at this point from reaching his peak career potential. The dividend is a few years away. One doesn't have to be Habs fan to see that.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've never heard him be called a bust.. except by Hab fans. :p:

Look at the recently-traded Coburn, for example. He was drafted in the same year as Andrei, but I haven't heard anyone mention Coburn's name and bust in the same sentence.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
I guess its pretty safe to say now with the few games he played this year with the habs and is overall consistency in the AHL, that he will play in the NHL.

I really like the way he passes, and he really is amazing with the puck on his stick, he can draw defenders to him and then make an amazing pass for to a an open that leads to a goal (Tic tac toe with Johnson and Bonk against buffalo friday).

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
I still think he hasn't reached hasn't shown his peak potential in the AHL yet and as long as he keeps working hard and gets top line time I see probably 25-35g 35-45a

About a 70pt player, but if Montreal changes its system in the future though to more offensive this kid with Grabs could be dynamite.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
2nd line winger, 20-25 goals with great passing skills.

Yeah, that's fair. I haven't been overly impressed with his goal scoring potential ; it's there but not at the level once discussed. Tha Havlat and Vanek comparisons are too ambitious. But his passing is what caught my eye. He is really slick to make the quick short passes in traffic, hitting his mates in stride. Add that to his puck-control skills, that's a nice tool box. I see a nbr 2 or 3 winger eventually ; 25 goals, 65-70 pts, how does that sound ?

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
He looks a lot like Kovalev. Great skills but doesn't seem to work really hard.

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I live near Hamilton, and try to get out to see a few games each year. I haven't managed to get out this year, but I did see him in Buffalo the other night. The thing I like about Kostitsyn is that every year he's been in North America, he's gotten better. He's had a slow development to be sure, but if he can keep improving he'll be a scorer in the NHL. His development has been a bizarre one, from the Epilepsy, then being rushed to the AHL, and especially the trouble he had learning English (it's been 3 years, and people are saying that just this year is his English getting good enough to communicate effectively) Kostitsyn has had plenty of obstacles to his development, but is slowly overcoming them all. I think that the addition of Grabovski to Hamilton has helped him out a lot this year. In the past he's been pretty much the only (Bela)Russian player around.

A few of the things I like about him that he gets little credit for are how gritty he is, how coachable he is, and how much he wants to win. He used to get knocked for being a softy all the time, which really isn't the case. He's no PF or anything, but when a guy pushes him he pushes back, and he's willingly played in the corners and along the boards, especially in Hamilton. People also used to question his work ethic, and I honestly have no idea why.

Unfortunately, I do question his hockey sense a little. Kostitsyn is one of those guys who doesn't always know when to make the pass, or which pass to make. That alone will probably be enough to keep him from being a first line player in the NHL.

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
Unfortunately, I do question his hockey sense a little. Kostitsyn is one of those guys who doesn't always know when to make the pass, or which pass to make. That alone will probably be enough to keep him from being a first line player in the NHL.

That's fair. I also think he doesn't know exactly where to be on the ice, even in the offensive zone. If he had that knack for knowing where to be, he'd be a superstar in the NHL.

But average hockey sense or not, the skills are there. His passing has been completely overlooked, I think that's the best part of his game. I only first started noticing in Hamtilon this year, his passing is simply excellent. I think the improved comfort and communication factor in NA played a huge part in this.

I also agree that his work-ethic and drive gets way to much criticism, and like you said, he's progressed steadily every year. I don't see any reason for him to play again in the AHL.

I can't really project what player he'll be. 20G 40A kind of guy sounds good to be. But if he keeps improving, and Grabovski and him match up in Montreal, look out.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
thanks for the reports guys.

I just hope he's a regular from now on. I believe he stated in a Russian interview (after his baby was born) that if he didn't make the Habs next year, he may go back to play in Russia.

Ross MacLochness

Aug 12, 2004
Toronto
thanks for the reports guys.

I just hope he's a regular from now on. I believe he stated in a Russian interview (after his baby was born) that if he didn't make the Habs next year, he may go back to play in Russia.

I think it was more like:

"If I don't make Montreal, playing in Russia is something I'll have to start thinking about."

He would consider it, nothing is certain.

puck_08

Jul 21, 2005
Calgary
I think maybe Huselius type player?
I'm thinking a slow development like the Sedins.. but should be a top 6 player.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Potential of 20-25 goals (maybe more if paired with an elite center) but in the habs system I doubt he will socre more than 20 with about 30 assists.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Potential of 20-25 goals (maybe more if paired with an elite center) but in the habs system I doubt he will socre more than 20 with about 30 assists.
You underrate him... The guy has arguably the 2nd best shot on the habs right now. He might only score 20 goals next season, but I'd be surprised if he didn't score 30 as a sophmore.

Russeltown

Sep 28, 2003
Montreal
He's definitely the most skilled prospect of the Habs, and I'm sure he'll be a very nice player within the next years.

He'll be a 1st line winger.

henri2014

Jul 30, 2005
If he continues to play like he did in the last 3 games is potential is to be a dominant player. Carbo said it after the game that he was dominant and that he has everythin to be dominant. I dont why he cant continue like that. Hes playing amazing hockey and we are starting to see some really good flashes about his potential and i think the Hossa comparasion aren't too farfetch.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
seriously Kost hasnt been that great, i mean he do make some tremendous plays but he has still a LOT to improve. but again the skills are there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->