Andrei Kastsitsyn ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
We sign Kasts, assign him to Hamilton where he will get 1st line duty due to the departure of Gratton, Balej, Higgins, Pleks (maybe????) and Perez, let the latter toil in Russia before bringing him over next season.

CH Wizard

markov` said:
I'm almost certain that is Kastsitysyn has 1st line duty in the AHL, he will be one of the top scorers in the league.

Agree he needs a good 1st center Pleks would be perfect but let's not forget that Kast has a good shot but he's a VERY good playmaker too !

Last edited by a moderator:

CRAZY_FAN

Aug 26, 2002
Quebec
It's WWAAAYYY to early to tell if he's a bust or if he will score 50 goals anyway. He's just a 19 years old kid give him a break....

CH Wizard

Btw he'll be in the developpement camp tommorow so if someone can make a report to us on him it will be very very nice.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Keep personal attacks off the boards, consider this a waring to everyone who posts in this thread. The next personal attack wins a 3 day all expense paid trip to ban city. Thanks.

CH Wizard

Moskau said:
Ohh yea, I have him much better than Kovalchuk, and all the other players that didn't score 50 goals this year... ohh wait...

I realize you said potential and you probably didn't really think about it, but seriously; come on now. You score 30 goals in the NHL today and you're one of the best snipers in the game.

Health concerns or not, "potential 50 goal scorers" don't drop to 10th. There are maybe 4-5 potential 50 goal scorers in the NHL.

Yeah ,you're right Kovalchuk even didn't score 50 goals so at this time in NHL it's very hard to score 50 goals they aren't much 50 goals scorer , Nash ,Kovalchuk,Iggy are all potential 50 goals scorer.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
db23 said:
It would be a long trip for me to see the development camp. Not that I wouldn't like to. The guy asked for an opinion on Kastitsyn. You gave one, others offered theirs, I gave mine. You can't expect them all to agree. Saying a prospect has 50% chance of playing in the NHL isn't really "bashing" him. His first year at a higher level of competition wasn't very successful which would lead most to think that his talent level may have been overrated. He did not get along with his coach, which would lead to you to wonder about his attitiude. I think there are legitimate questions both his skill and his attitude. Perhaps those will be answered soon, and I would be quite happy to be proven wrong.

A teammate of Kostitsyin, for at least part of the season, was Nikolai Zherdev. Zherdev, in 20 games, had 4 points. So I guess he's a bust too?

As for feuding with Tikhonov, that's almost a pre-requisite.

These days it's Viktor Tikhonov who's after the young gem. After the Nov.30 contest against Lada (2-2) Tikhonov, who has a long history of clashing with supremely talented players, labeled Zherdev responsible for his team's tough luck - blaming him for taking late penalty that resolved in Togliatti's equalizer.

Tikhonov is the coach, after all, who took Nikolai Khabibulin's gold medal from the Albertville Olympics and refused to give it to him (stole it, really). Tikhonov was just recently fired as coach of CSKA, after a player's revolt, and many Russian stars including, surprisingly enough Khabibulin, refused to play for Russia at the upcoming World Championships, as long as Tikhonov was coach. Result? Tikhonov was replaced from that position too.

http://tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?id=85560

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Kostitsyn is how you spell his name. He told the Habs management yesterday at camp.

Anyways, He looks bigger then what people seem to think and he seems to make moves everytime he touches the puck. Chipchura said "He made us look ridiculous a few times" and Trevor Timmins said "He is more advanced in his developement then Alex Perezhogin was at the same age" .

Andrei Kostitsyn said to Trevor Timmins "I'm only 40% today, give me 2-3 days" as he walked off the ice on friday. Yet he was one of the best players on the ice.

Beakermania*

Moskau said:
Health concerns or not, "potential 50 goal scorers" don't drop to 10th. There are maybe 4-5 potential 50 goal scorers in the NHL.

For the record Iginla went 11th.

The fact that Kostitsyn had an epileptic seizure in his draft year, and his lack of defensive polish at this point contributed to his falling. From most reports he was one of the top 2 pure offensive talents in the 2003 draft.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Komisarek8 said:
Kostitsyn is how you spell his name. He told the Habs management yesterday at camp.

Anyways, He looks bigger then what people seem to think and he seems to make moves everytime he touches the puck. Chipchura said "He made us look ridiculous a few times" and Trevor Timmins said "He is more advanced in his developement then Alex Perezhogin was at the same age" .

Andrei Kostitsyn said to Trevor Timmins "I'm only 40% today, give me 2-3 days" as he walked off the ice on friday. Yet he was one of the best players on the ice.

Being more advanced then Perezhogin is a good sign, because he's a highly skilled player. I'd say based on pure offensive skill and hockey sense, he's right behind Ribeiro but his speed, strength(this is comparing with Ribeiro, hes not strong) and shot might make him a better player. I'd say Zednik is more talented then Perezhogin but hes got no hockey sense and doesnt have the moves Alex does, so I wouldnt be surprised if Perez gets 20 more points a season then Zednik.
Anyways, Im completly off topic, just wanted to say its a good sign :).

CH Wizard

Habsaku said:
Being more advanced then Perezhogin is a good sign, because he's a highly skilled player. I'd say based on pure offensive skill and hockey sense, he's right behind Ribeiro but his speed, strength(this is comparing with Ribeiro, hes not strong) and shot might make him a better player. I'd say Zednik is more talented then Perezhogin but hes got no hockey sense and doesnt have the moves Alex does, so I wouldnt be surprised if Perez gets 20 more points a season then Zednik.
Anyways, Im completly off topic, just wanted to say its a good sign :).

Yeah , Prez is a potentially a 30 goals scorers in the NHL but he has more hockey sense the Zeds so he'll have more assists in the season as like you said maybe 40 assists that's 10 or 20 assists more then Zednik is able to get in the season.IMO Perez is a better version of Zednik !

BTW it's great that kast it getting better each day in the camp,today he does great by the report in the habsworld web site he makes a beautiful goal ! So he's 50% of his real shape imagine him at 100 % it's gonna be scary !

Last edited by a moderator:

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking Gainey will offer him a contract right after the prospect camp and I wouldn't be surprised to see him at the Habs camp.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Beakermania said:
For the record Iginla went 11th.

The fact that Kostitsyn had an epileptic seizure in his draft year, and his lack of defensive polish at this point contributed to his falling. From most reports he was one of the top 2 pure offensive talents in the 2003 draft.
Okay, but potential 50 goal scorers don't follow up their draft year by not being able to stick in the RSL.

F. Duchemin

Feb 28, 2002
St-Hilaire
I hope! cause after this camp at pierrefonds he go back to russia if he dont have a contract, then he will be considered like a stranger player and wont have quality time on ice again.

Im sure everyone is doing what they can to sign kostitsyn. It would be a wasted year and he is in Quebec RIGHT NOW! dont let it go!

For the upside thing, i saw him today practicing at pierrefonds and he got a wicked shot!!! Skating and flair will tell if he score 40-50 or no.

F. Duchemin

Feb 28, 2002
St-Hilaire
Komisarek8 said:

yes he is currently breaking new skate to. Maybe that why is skating was just normal today.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
i see him as a consistent 40-40 threat over his career..
Could see him break 100 Pts plateau 1-2 times in his career if playing with quality centre(Saku)

CH Wizard

F. Duchemin said:
I hope! cause after this camp at pierrefonds he go back to russia if he dont have a contract, then he will be considered like a stranger player and wont have quality time on ice again.

Im sure everyone is doing what they can to sign kostitsyn. It would be a wasted year and he is in Quebec RIGHT NOW! dont let it go!

For the upside thing, i saw him today practicing at pierrefonds and he got a wicked shot!!! Skating and flair will tell if he score 40-50 or no.

Some people are still dissapointed by his experience in CSKA and Kast tell us that he don't like his experience there and he don't had the confidence of the coach if he returns to russian it would be a waste of a year because as like you said he will be agin considereted as a stranger but TIKHONOV is gone now in CSKA there will be a new coach some people are still saying that Kost isn't not a good prospect because he didn't produce well at CSKA , Zherdev had 4 points in 20 games in CSKA does he isn't a good prospect because of that ??? It's too early to say that he'll be a 40 or 50 goals scorers only time will time the best thing would happen for him is to be signed and come play in the AHL if he responds in the AHL after we can make better prediction but if he'll don't respond in the AHL I am sure agin people gonna bash him give him a break he's 19 we have to be patient with him so I will see him play tommorow or tuesday I will have a better idea on him I am sure he's not out of shpae just because he didn't skate for 2 months but because he's tired you know it's hard to not be tired when you make a travel from Belarus to Pierrefonds in Quebec but Wednesday he'll have a day off so after that he'll be at 100% of his shape IMO.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
It's tough to compare Zherdev's situation to Kastytsin's. Zherdev proved he was a great player in the Super League before the slump, and played well during the slump. Kastytsin hasn't proven those things yet - so the jury is still out on him. He looked good for CSKA 2 - but has not performed for CSKA. He did not look as good as some of the club's other young forwards. He is still a very promising prospect, but I wouldn't jump the gun, saying that his lack of success with CSKA is the coach's doing. Tikhonov probably played a part in it, but in Zherdev's case - even if the young forward struggled, he stayed in CSKA's lineup for most of the year and hardly ever got sent down to the junior squad, where Kastytsin spent most of the season.

db23

Soyuz said:
It's tough to compare Zherdev's situation to Kastytsin's. Zherdev proved he was a great player in the Super League before the slump, and played well during the slump. Kastytsin hasn't proven those things yet - so the jury is still out on him. He looked good for CSKA 2 - but has not performed for CSKA. He did not look as good as some of the club's other young forwards. He is still a very promising prospect, but I wouldn't jump the gun, saying that his lack of success with CSKA is the coach's doing. Tikhonov probably played a part in it, but in Zherdev's case - even if the young forward struggled, he stayed in CSKA's lineup for most of the year and hardly ever got sent down to the junior squad, where Kastytsin spent most of the season.

The fact that the other young players (most of them 3rd rounders or later) played ahead of Kostitsyn has to be a huge concern. Not only the ones with CSKA, but a lot of players, as young or younger, who were drafted in later rounds played regularly in the RSL. The talk of 40 goals and 100 points is just silly. Kostitsyn may have talent, but he sure hasn't shown that he has the brains or maturity to even make the NHL, much less be a star player. I seriously doubt that he has the talent of a top scorer, and he doesn't seem to have the personality to adjust to being a role player.

Papa Bear

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
db23 said:
The fact that the other young players (most of them 3rd rounders or later) played ahead of Kostitsyn has to be a huge concern. Not only the ones with CSKA, but a lot of players, as young or younger, who were drafted in later rounds played regularly in the RSL. The talk of 40 goals and 100 points is just silly. Kostitsyn may have talent, but he sure hasn't shown that he has the brains or maturity to even make the NHL, much less be a star player. I seriously doubt that he has the talent of a top scorer, and he doesn't seem to have the personality to adjust to being a role player.

what does it matter that some 3rd rounders more time than him? who cares that he didnt stick in the RSL?
if he doesnt improve, it wont matter what talent he has now, and if he improves a lot, it wont matter what he did in his post draft year...

hey, since you're so good with stats could you get me the stats of ryder, st louis, robitaille (i could go on), in the years after their draft years?

db23 said:
but he sure hasn't shown that he has the brains or maturity to even make the NHL, much less be a star player

where do you get this stuff? let me tell you, either you really have a negative view on life (which is fine if it works for you) or you're an extremely effective marketer cause you know how to get people to always respond to your comments.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well at least db23 has some outlandish point of views, that i'll hand him. It's healthy for debate. What's unhealthy is when people start packing up on other posters, that's useless. For the record, I'm on no one's side and I don't care to see my face on camera!

CoupeStanley

Dec 1, 2003
Nicolet
coupestanley.com
Most of us never watch him play but it seems like you know his personality very well...

I mean, how could I ever consider your point of view ? You're sitting there, right in front of your PC, reading stats and watching picture and you think you've got a rock solid evaluation of him ..

One thing is sure with Kostsitsyn is that he has one heck of a shot.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
CoupeStanley - I don't think you should underestimate opinions of folks on this board. I understand your concerns and they are valid, but it doe snot mean you should discount opinions. I saw him play on at least 5 or so occasions and have met him personally.

bizzz*

db23 said:
The RSL is a very low-scoring league. Kastsitsyn had just a few minutes on the 4th line and his chance to score was miserable. For example Grabovski had a lot ice-time in Nizhekamsk and with 17 points in 44 games was 2nd in scoring among rookies. But when both of them played for the national Belarusian team at the WChampionship in Division1 in April 2004, Kastsitsyn scored 6(3+3) points in 5 games, Grabovski - only 3.
Who are those "young players (most of them 3rd rounders or later) played ahead of Kostitsyn who has to be a huge concern"? Parshin with 4 points in 27 games? Dubinin with 5 points in 30 games? There's no big differense with Kastsitsyn's 1 point in 11 games. Don't forget - Kast is BELARUSIAN. Teams in the Russian Superleague can't use more than 3 foreign players and russians have a huge advantage. He couldn't get a permanent spot on the line-up because of his age and his nationality. Just wait and you will see what a player Kastsitsyn is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad