Andrei Kastitsyn - Gaining Form

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
Wow. I've never been a huge Kastitsyn fan, but it looks like he might just be worth the wait for Habs fans.

His PPG have gone up drastically in all 3 AHL seasons he's played. Now he has 27 points in 25 games for Hamilton in the AHL. 12 points in his last 6 games. Maybe he's finally crossed "the language barrier":)

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
That and he and Grabovsky speak the same language and he is learning to be involved in all aspects of the game. He and Grabovsky have become the leaders by example for Hamilton; they cycle, they play keep away, they deke around people, they score clutch goals and they are both human highlight reels down there.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Kostitsyn had a lot more than a language barrier to cross...
He basically lost an entire developmental season the year after his draft because his coach in the RSL (V. Tikhonov himself...) wouldn't play youngster. Then, he had to adapt to the N-A game and ice surface, as well as the culture differences. I think it's quite normal that it took him longer to come around.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Wow. I've never been a huge Kastitsyn fan, but it looks like he might just be worth the wait for Habs fans.

His PPG have gone up drastically in all 3 AHL seasons he's played. Now he has 27 points in 25 games for Hamilton in the AHL. 12 points in his last 6 games. Maybe he's finally crossed "the language barrier":)

He could work harder and shoot the puck a little more, but it's a nice start i'l give you that. Micheal Grabovsky helped gained Kostitsyn's confidence by alot and one day i expect them both to be on the same scoring line in Montreal. He really has mad skills and is both an excellent playmaker and finisher, a Naslund, Kovalev type player and very well balanced i might add, hard to knock off when he has the puck. It was a saying before the draft that Kostitsyn was a project before the draft, it's too bad only Habs fans rememberd it, he even lost one year of development because of his ex-epileptic problems. He was a high-risk but he's looking alot more like a high-reward player instead, being the most talented propect we have drafted since Koivu, i'm justy happy we didn't trade him for a vet or something

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
He basically lost an entire developmental season the year after his draft because his coach in the RSL (V. Tikhonov himself...) wouldn't play youngster.

Or maybe there is something wrong with player actually, No? CSKA that year was very young team: Mozyakin, Kosmachev, Lyamin, Anshakov, Dubinin, Parshin, Anshakov and they all played enough and they all outplayed A.Kostitsyn for roster spot. Problem with Zherdev was personal problem between Tikhonov Jr. and Zherdev, and it should help A. Kostitsyn actually if he was any good that season.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Or maybe there is something wrong with player actually, No? CSKA that year was very young team: Mozyakin, Kosmachev, Lyamin, Anshakov, Dubinin, Parshin, Anshakov and they all played enough and they all outplayed A.Kostitsyn for roster spot. Problem with Zherdev was personal problem between Tikhonov Jr. and Zherdev, and it should help A. Kostitsyn actually if he was any good that season.

I think your right, but he did lose that year still. He should've went the CHL route and played in Canada, his development would've been faster then what we're seeing right now. That said, he's been the Bulldogs best player and since the staff sent him down and made their intentions clear towards him, he's responded very well. He doesn't look like a bust at all anymore, he's been improving every year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Kostitsyn also wasn't around a lot. He had to leave for the Ice Hockey Challenge to play for Belarus (against Hungary and other countries, Belarus won the tournament) and then he left for the WJC's (also won their division, 1B) and he left towards the end of the year to train in the Belarus league with HC Minsk as he helped them win their league championship. Then he went back to CSKA but they sent him down to CSKA-2 where he joined them in the playoffs and yes they won it that year. He played for 6 different teams during the '03-'04 season, CSKA, CSKA-2, Team Belarus, HC Minsk, WJC's and WC's, plus the Euro Ice Hockey games but I am not familar with that tournament and don't know if it's the same as the WC team. Plus I think he played a couple games with the junior team in Belarus but I'm not sure.

I saw 2 of the 12 games he played that year, it's funny how bad Zherdev looked. Both were on the 4th line but Zherdev looked like he didn't want to be on the ice, I couldn't beleive how good he really was when I first saw him in the NHL, wow what a difference. Kostitsyn was more impressive then Zherdev, he was creating more scoring chances but looked totally lost in his own end, like he had no clue what he was supposed to do. If I recall CSKA was really bad that year. I know the one game they got destroyed by Malkin's team 8-2 I think. Moyzakin was the lone bright spot for CSKA, he was really impressive.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Kostitsyn also wasn't around a lot. He had to leave for the Ice Hockey Challenge to play for Belarus (against Hungary and other countries, Belarus won the tournament) and then he left for the WJC's (also won their division, 1B) and he left towards the end of the year to train in the Belarus league with HC Minsk as he helped them win their league championship. Then he went back to CSKA but they sent him down to CSKA-2 where he joined them in the playoffs and yes they won it that year. He played for 6 different teams during the '03-'04 season, CSKA, CSKA-2, Team Belarus, HC Minsk, WJC's and WC's, plus the Euro Ice Hockey games but I am not familar with that tournament and don't know if it's the same as the WC team. Plus I think he played a couple games with the junior team in Belarus but I'm not sure.

Of course, It could be the problem in his development but comapring with other rookies in Russia it's not a big deal,Imo. They are selected for national team - it plays 3-4 tournaments a year, of course if rookie is valuable for a team, he will not be released for every tournament, they play for farm teams too, they play for main team. They are all in almost identical environment, it's not 6 teams a year, but level is a bit higher than playing against Hungary or HC Minsk ;)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Of course, It could be the problem in his development but comapring with other rookies in Russia it's not a big deal,Imo. They are selected for national team - it plays 3-4 tournaments a year, of course if rookie is valuable for a team, he will not be released for every tournament, they play for farm teams too, they play for main team. They are all in almost identical environment, it's not 6 teams a year, but level is a bit higher than playing against Hungary or HC Minsk ;)

I understand that others often leave for the Four or Five Nations and other tournaments, but perhaps he didn't handle all the changes that well as different changes effect players differently. In addition his poor defensive play likely made it an easier choice to play Anshankov, Polushin, Soin, Chernykh, Dubinin etc.. over him.

Kostitsyn is an enigma, he was talented enough for Tikhonov to sign him out of the EEHL at 16 or 17. But he clearly wasn't ready for such a level of play. He was skilled enough for some scouts to rave about him and to get drafted so high, but clearly he didn't want to work as hard as he could and perhaps he wasn't mature enough to come over.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Wow. I've never been a huge Kastitsyn fan, but it
looks like he might just be worth the wait for Habs fans.

Sometimes we want some of our prospects to make it right away (impatience:p:).
Other times it pays off with more time, adapting to North American game
(+ language) & developing/maturing game (patience:) ).

Most HAB fans are excited (more than ever) about Andrei Kostitsyn.

We would also like to (one day potentially) see a BELARUSSIAN line in the HABS' lineup:

Sergei Kostitsyn - Mikhail Grabovski - Andrei Kostitsyn

--------------------- ------------------------ -----------------------

Last edited:

Rather Gingerly 1*

I noticed that just in the few games he played in Montreal this season. Much improved player from last year. I would say Kostitsyn would be an untouchable prospect for Montreal right now.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
its about time. He has had all the tools and potential, he just needed to put it all together, and thats wat hes doing this year and proving he was worth the top 10 pick he was. I think the fact he has another fellow Belarussian superstar playing alongside really helped him alot as well. He WILL be on the Habs 2nd line next year, and shouldve been this year, signing Samsonov was a huuge mistake, Kostitsyb could have easily held down that job to start this year.

Rather Gingerly 1*

its about time. He has had all the tools and potential, he just needed to put it all together, and thats wat hes doing this year and proving he was worth the top 10 pick he was. I think the fact he has another fellow Belarussian superstar playing alongside really helped him alot as well. He WILL be on the Habs 2nd line next year, and shouldve been this year, signing Samsonov was a huuge mistake, Kostitsyb could have easily held down that job to start this year.

Kostitsyn may allow us to deal Kovalev or Ryder after the season for a good second line center or a young defenseman in case we cannot sign all of Rivet, Souray and Markov.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Not really a fan of his. From what I've seen he seems like a dime a dozen uni-dimensional scorer. Getting a Czerkawski or Huselius is certainly better then getting a bust but Habs have more well rounded players taken with lower picks. Hopefully his offensive game will overshadow weaknesses but I haven't seen this "star factor" in him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad