Line Combos: Andreas Johnsson on Tavares line.

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
would like to see johnsson on tavares line with engvall
nyalnder with mathews and hyman
timashov gauthier petan
shore spezza mikheyev

also ceci should play more physically like last game
and would like to see leafs being more physical on puck carrier advancing into our dzone.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
2 years ago Babs and Matthews discussed Hy while Babs was visting Matthews in Pheonix, general knowledge is that Matthews doesn't/didn't want Hy on his line. There's no reason to think that Matthews has changed his mind, there's no reason to think that he should.

It is now believed that Matthews had an agreement with Babs that Kappy wouldn't be put on his line, another reasonable request.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
2 years ago Babs and Matthews discussed Hy while Babs was visting Matthews in Pheonix, general knowledge is that Matthews doesn't/didn't want Hy on his line. There's no reason to think that Matthews has changed his mind, there's no reason to think that he should.

It is now believed that Matthews had an agreement with Babs that Kappy wouldn't be put on his line, another reasonable request.

This seems very much made up.

There were plenty of reasons for Matthews to be pissed at Babs, and this seems by far the least likely.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
This seems very much made up.

There were plenty of reasons for Matthews to be pissed at Babs, and this seems by far the least likely.

I could see not wanting Hyman AND Brown on your line, but the rest just seems made up. Just like Babs saying Matthews flat out refused to PK.

Reactions: supermann_98

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Nylander-Matty-Mitch would be fun as hell to watch.

I actually liked Kapanen with Tavares too.

AJ-Tavares-Kapanen is still a pretty solid second line.

Last year many thought that Brown needed to be banished, where ever he played, whichever line offence ceased to exist.

This year people are endorsing Kappy and Johnsson, they have 13 and 12 points this year to date, Brown meanwhile has 14 points and his center is Pageau. I wouldn't consider Pageau anywhere close in talent level to JT or Matthews.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
timashov gauthier petan
shore spezza mikheyev

and would like to see leafs being more physical on puck carrier advancing into our dzone.

Where did Kapanen and Kerfoot go?

horner

May 22, 2007
timashov gauthier petan
shore spezza mikheyev

Mikheyev on the 4th line behind person mmmmm don't think so
I like Engvalls game but keep him him on the 4th line. He has only played 2 games .

horner

May 22, 2007
Once we get everyone back we are going to have some tough decisions to make on the forward lines.

Hyman Tavares Marner
Mikheyev. Mathews. Nylander
Moore. Kerfoot Kappy
Timo. Gauthier. Engvall
Spezza extra

Trade chip
Johnson for pick or picks
Shore ?

With the cap savings maybe get another backup for a late Rd pk

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Last year many thought that Brown needed to be banished, where ever he played, whichever line offence ceased to exist.

This year people are endorsing Kappy and Johnsson, they have 13 and 12 points this year to date, Brown meanwhile has 14 points and his center is Pageau. I wouldn't consider Pageau anywhere close in talent level to JT or Matthews.
index.png

I'd take Mango everyday and twice on Sunday over Downtown Connor Brown aka Brown Cow.

Love Brownie but come on. He's finally getting Top6 mins and look at that chart. Look at his /60 rates for GF, xGF, and CF compared to Mango.

index(2).png

Over here, I'd still go Kappy over Brown. Kap's offense has been neutered due to a cold JT & Marner + Hyman injury earlier. The offense should pick back up.

Wish Brown the best, but don't miss him tbh.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Never happened.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth

Too much rye? What are you going on about because I'd like to see some proof. Even an article based on speculation.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
View attachment 283169

I'd take Mango everyday and twice on Sunday over Downtown Connor Brown aka Brown Cow.

Love Brownie but come on. He's finally getting Top6 mins and look at that chart. Look at his /60 rates for GF, xGF, and CF compared to Mango.

View attachment 283171

Over here, I'd still go Kappy over Brown. Kap's offense has been neutered due to a cold JT & Marner + Hyman injury earlier. The offense should pick back up.

Wish Brown the best, but don't miss him tbh.
I like Brown a lot as he absolutely worked his ass off to become an NHL player, but its insane to think he's above Kapanen or Johnsson. It's not even close.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Before

Johnsson -- Matthews -- Nylander
Hyman --- Tavares ---- Marner
Mikheyev --- Kerfoot --- Kapanen

After

Johnsson -- Matthews -- Nylander
Hyman --- Tavares ---- Marner
Mikheyev --- Kerfoot --- Kapanen

The more things chance the more they stay the same.

The one thing I could see Keefe changing is flipping Johnsson and Mikheyev and use Leafs powerforwards in a more prominent roles to win more puck battles.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Steve Simmons reported it in the Toronto Sun last year, again not sure it's true but It was reported

https://thehockeywriters.com/maple-leafs-news-rumors-matthews-kapanen-marlies-marner/
Well everything he said has either panned out or will very soon.
Big get puck winger - Scoring centre - playmaking winger
Big get puck winger - Scoring centre - playmaking winger

Keefe will figure it out between Hyman-Mik, between Matty-JT and Willy-Marner when everyone is healthy. Who knows how it will go but some combination therein.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
timashov gauthier petan
shore spezza mikheyev

Matthews line is better with Johnsson, Tavares line is better with Hyman, just need Marner to get healthy then let them fly.

Last year was the first year Hyman had a noticably positive impact on a line, I would see if it works again this year.

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario

OMG so much inside information. Try getting a job at sportsnet.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I don't think you can compare a player on Ottawa and Toronto equally. That's like comparing a desperate Bozak with Kessel trying to tie-up the game to Bozak as a 3rd line center. Look at Spezza, he's getting about 3 minutes less ice-time and he already has a 1/3rd the points he had the previous season. Matthews currently has the same amount of points that Dallas's 4th highest forward had last season. What was Spezza suppose to do with that? I'd hate to see Johnsson or Kapanen trying to carry C.Brown's load right now. Can you imagine them on a team who's number one center has never broke Zack Hyman for assists in a single season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad