Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Grass is always greener syndrome. There will always be someone who should be up in place of someone else because Management never does anything right.

Impatience is also probably part of it.

You sir need to have a monument made in your honor, great post!

Hey lets forget we are on pace to beat our all time wins record, lets forget the fact we had one of our best months in our history, lets bitch and whine that one player will make the difference between a 82-0 season and possibly our best season ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 95

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
But who is he better than in the top 9? you have to have room and we don't, and we won't until next season when and if JVR leaves.

Keep him down until there is room

even then Kapanen has earned first crack at JVR's old spot, kapanen has played quite a bit of LW on the marlies. So Johnsson will likely have to take Komarovs role until he makes it impossible for babs not to promote him. Kapanen shouldn't be held down because he is a RW the spot on a scoring wing is LW he should get a long look there. We have Grundstrom who I think is very close too, I think we will need to move some bodies off the wing this offseason. And looking at the depth chart it makes no sense not to put Nylander at C, it then frees up another wing spot (kapanen could go to Matthews RW in this case) otherwise we will need to trade some of our wing depth

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He'll get a long look in training camp next season.

I would also not be surprised if the Leafs sold "high" on him and packaged him in a deal for a defenseman.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He'll get a long look in training camp next season.

I would also not be surprised if the Leafs sold "high" on him and packaged him in a deal for a defenseman.

I too wouldn't be the least bit surprised. The Leafs have holes to fill.

But one scenario I wouldn't be the least bit surprised in, is Brown being made a part of a deal for either a C or D with Johnnson filling in at his spot and Kapanen filling in for JVR. Shipping out Brown will open up some cap space and replacing him with a cheaper part that can produce would be ideal.

I think Johnsson can put up comparable numbers to Brown

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I was really impressed with him in preseason. I thought he made some amazing short passes. I think he would be a great winger for Matthews or Kadri. Amazing find in the 2nd round.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I was really impressed with him in preseason. I thought he made some amazing short passes. I think he would be a great winger for Matthews or Kadri. Amazing find in the 2nd round.

He was a 7th round pick. 202 overall in 2013.

You're thinking of Grundstrom.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
even then Kapanen has earned first crack at JVR's old spot, kapanen has played quite a bit of LW on the marlies. So Johnsson will likely have to take Komarovs role until he makes it impossible for babs not to promote him. Kapanen shouldn't be held down because he is a RW the spot on a scoring wing is LW he should get a long look there. We have Grundstrom who I think is very close too, I think we will need to move some bodies off the wing this offseason. And looking at the depth chart it makes no sense not to put Nylander at C, it then frees up another wing spot (kapanen could go to Matthews RW in this case) otherwise we will need to trade some of our wing depth

Moving Nylander to center makes the Matthews line worse, I will never understand the people who want to get worse, people need to give up this idea that Nylander I moving to center, I really don't think it's going to happen, yes he does take faceoffs on his strong side but that does not make him a center, if it did then Marleau, Komarov and Hyman are all centers too, since thy have all taken faceoffs during the yea

You can say that he played center when Matthews went down and looked good, and he did, and then the 2nd game he looked like garbage there, and then he got put right back on wing, on Plekanec\s line and he will probably remain there until Matthews gets back, at which point he will be placed on Matthews wing because when it comes down to it he is a winger NOT a center, nor does he need to be one because you have Matthews and kadri down the middle long term as your #1 and #2 center.

They will bring in a #3 either via trade or UFA be it Thornton, or Artem Ansismov or somebody else I do not see Nylander ever being a full time center because he doesn't need to be and breaking up Matthews and Nylander when they clearly work well together is stupid and pointless there is NO need to do it.

Reactions: TMLS

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Moving Nylander to center makes the Matthews line worse, I will never understand the people who want to get worse, people need to give up this idea that Nylander I moving to center, I really don't think it's going to happen, yes he does take faceoffs on his strong side but that does not make him a center, if it did then Marleau, Komarov and Hyman are all centers too, since thy have all taken faceoffs during the yea

You can say that he played center when Matthews went down and looked good, and he did, and then the 2nd game he looked like garbage there, and then he got put right back on wing, on Plekanec\s line and he will probably remain there until Matthews gets back, at which point he will be placed on Matthews wing because when it comes down to it he is a winger NOT a center, nor does he need to be one because you have Matthews and kadri down the middle long term as your #1 and #2 center.

They will bring in a #3 either via trade or UFA be it Thornton, or Artem Ansismov or somebody else I do not see Nylander ever being a full time center because he doesn't need to be and breaking up Matthews and Nylander when they clearly work well together is stupid and pointless there is NO need to do it.

Well I guess you could probably go look at faceoffs taken to debunk your theory on Komarov and Hyman. Nylander takes every strong side draw on his line and Matthews the other, so other than if one is thrown out or much more likely when on the PK hyman very rarely takes faceoffs. Marelua played numerous games at C and is the backup faceoff taker on Kadri's line. Nylander takes way more faceoffs than any of the guys you listed.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I too wouldn't be the least bit surprised. The Leafs have holes to fill.

But one scenario I wouldn't be the least bit surprised in, is Brown being made a part of a deal for either a C or D with Johnnson filling in at his spot and Kapanen filling in for JVR. Shipping out Brown will open up some cap space and replacing him with a cheaper part that can produce would be ideal.

I think Johnsson can put up comparable numbers to Brown

I would hope they don't give up to soon on Brown. A weak second year doesn't make a career. To me it might be selling low not to play him regularly well into next season. I think Johnsson's upside is probably higher than Brown's though. Other than his 15-16 playoff with Frolunda he has done nothing but improve since he was drafted. Not saying there is zero chance he is Pulkkinen 2.0 because we haven't seen him against the big boys yet but he looks like an NHL player in the AHL where Brownie looked like a good AHLer.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Grass is always greener syndrome. There will always be someone who should be up in place of someone else because Management never does anything right.

Impatience is also probably part of it.
Yup, and the really sad part about this too is that when Matthews, Nylander and Marner are in the 27-29 age range, people are going to be crying a shiny new prospect should be in their places in the lineup too.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Justin Bourne (Ex Marlies video coach) compared him to Yanni Gourde and says he's got lots of potential.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Justin Bourne (Ex Marlies video coach) compared him to Yanni Gourde and says he's got lots of potential.
I can see it. he's the type of player that people will say "where the hell did he come from??" when he finally gets a shot. Very skilled player

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because it's not about making a line as good as possible, it's about making the team as good as possible.

splitting those 2 up makes the Matthews line worse, which in turn weakens the team.

Besides there is no need to do it because Kadri is the #2 center

all we have to do is find a #3 and that can be gotten via trade or UFA

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
splitting those 2 up makes the Matthews line worse, which in turn weakens the team.
You don't say. Here's another revelation for you. Having Nylander run the third line makes it better, which in turns make the team better. Cool huh?

Besides there is no need to do it because Kadri is the #2 center
Teams roll three lines nowadays. Having three quality lines makes us that much harder to handle.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I guys we are finally going to get a chance to see what this kid can do. Our 4th line doesn't look like a 4th line any more. The speed on it is awesome, and you have got 3 defensively responsible all situation guys who can light the lamp.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As much as I like him. We look to be quickly becoming the Smurfs and that isn't a very good thing when you look at competing against a team like WPG for a cup.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
As much as I like him. We look to be quickly becoming the Smurfs and that isn't a very good thing when you look at competing against a team like WPG for a cup.
We have to get through Boston, Tampa and likely Pittsburgh before we need to worry about Winnipeg, and speed and skill is what you need to beat all 3 of the powers in the East.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad