Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by AppsSyl, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. hullsy47

hullsy47 Registered User

its only late because hes trying break into the league on a good club ...the marlies have about 6 or seven that could play on the weaker non playoff team now ,as well as martin and leivo and polka
    jonsson kills penalties too ....he can play

2. Dzonna

Dzonna Registered User

Saw this guy play live, he was certainly one of the better players out there. I'm sure next year he will be a bubble player

3. shaner89

shaner89 Registered User

Student
    This kid is good. He needs nhl minutes

4. BlueBaron

BlueBaron Registered User

Grass is always greener syndrome. There will always be someone who should be up in place of someone else because Management never does anything right.

Impatience is also probably part of it.

Bluelines likes this.
  5. Drew311

Drew311 Big Cactus

Possible forward lineup next season? Still pretty young though, wouldn't be surprised if they signed a gritty veteran forward or two.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
    Kapanen - Kadri - Marner
    Johnsson - Marleau - Brown
    Leivo - Gauthier - Martin

6. Drew311

Drew311 Big Cactus

It's crazy because this is Johnsson's 5th pro season. The kid is definitely over-cooked, and should either be in the line up or traded in a package for an established player. I'm sure he has some pretty nice trade value.

7. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

more like we've correctly identified the next obvious step. not too long ago the call was for Dermott and Kapenen to play in the NHL, and to demote Komarov to give Marner better linemates. Seems like that turned out to be right

Walshy7 and Drew311 like this.
  8. BlueBaron

The history of this boards there is always someone HF Leafs fans say should be up on the big team. Kapanen was obvious, even Babs said he belonged on the team, Dermott earned his spot too.

I'm not saying he does not deserve it (though obviously there is no spot for him) I'm just saying there will always be someone because there will always be a player on the team fans do not value and want gone for the next thing.

It's easy to predict how things project, but picking the timing is another matter. Our fans always want things to happen now and sometimes a little more time and seasoning is needed. Then when that seasoning and time passes people say "I told you so" ignoring the extra experience as if they would have been exactly the same players 6 months or a year ago.

With young players especially a few months can make all the difference in the world.

deepz, glue and DarkKnight like this.
  9. al secord

al secord Mustard Tiger

Owner of the Dirty Burger
    What a great problem to have. Organizational depth.

10. MR4

MR4 Registered User

Yep, when it's a huge part of the fan base pining for a certain move, it's been far more the right move than not.
    Took 50 games to get Kapanen in over Martin - Kapanen already proved himself ready in playoffs
    50 to get Dermott in while playing Polak - Still stuck playing Polak and Dermott showed to be the best in preseason out of the candidates while already being a #1D in AHL last season, but was demoted over a half decent game on his offside. Was ready then.
    Demoting Komarov - He had the worst production out of any top 9 forward. In the NHL. By far. Took way too long, fans saw it very early.
    Signing Polak - Was clear he isn't a fit for a speed team last year, even clearer this time. Hainsey ices the puck enough, we don't need the best ice'r in the NHL.

Every collective fan base opinion has usually been proven to be right. Almost as if the majority can see when a certain person even if they're skilled is making a bad decision off of a bias/other reason

zeke likes this.
  11. BlueBaron

I'm sure nothing I say will convince you otherwise but you have illustrated my point nicely. You think everything would have been identical at the beginning of the season and do not see that the players in question have improved since then to force Babcock's hand. You think Kapanen being on the team now was because they ran out of ideas or worried about losing a few games?

They monitor everything these guys do and are constantly giving them things to work on. Komorov being on the fourth line is more an indication of the kids progress than the genius of HF posters. You guys take yourselves way too seriously.

Cams, meefer and Joey Hoser like this.
  12. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Opinions

Agree completely with your last paragraph in particular. These kids aren’t static, they’re morphing and growing with each day. To see a guy excel now and say that would have happened last year, fails to believe development is real. The only question is where is the best place for that growth to happen, add in leadership and it’s a complex question. For me, the Dermott I saw in preseason simply isn’t the same guy I see today, would he be at this exact place now had he made it out of camp, or did “being the man” for the Marlies give him the inner confidence to seize this opportunity? I’m by no means implying Dermott wasn’t “ready” this year, but perhaps his journey would have been a lot shakier had he not had that opportunity with the Marlies to lead a defence.

The good news for me, Leafs have another blue chip on their hands, when Johnsson ultimately plays, just a question of time.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    meefer and BlueBaron like this.
  13. AppsSyl

AppsSyl Registered User

I think the time is now, while Matthews is out and we could get him in a couple of games at LW on the 4th line. This kid is ready, and if we want to ice our best line up for a run he should be in it.

14. LeafFever

LeafFever Registered User

When you are a 7th round pick it is a long journey to the NHl.

Diatomic likes this.
  15. Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper Registered User

16. ponder

ponder Registered User

He’s in the discussion for top player in the AHL. He’s absolutely earned a shot IMO - he’s smaller than Leivo, but at least as skilled, and is a better skater with better hustle/compete level, I think he’d be a significantly better fit for the 4th line.

Wafflewhipper likes this.
  17. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

Being able to run a Johnsson-Plekanec-Kapanen 4th line in the playoffs just feels unfair, they'd destroy other 4th lines at even strength. Plus all 3 guys are capable penalty killers so we won't have to tire as many of the top-9 out.

18. ponder

ponder Registered User

Yeah, I think it’d be a sick 4th line too. However, if we’re fully healthy, it’d likely mean benching Leo:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
    Marleau - Kadri - Marner
    JvR - Bozak - Brown
    Johnsson - Pleks - Kapanen
    Komarov

Not sure Babs would actually try that, he’s a big fan of Leo. Could alternately bench one of JvR/Brown, but don’t really see that happening either.

With Matthews out, though, now is the perfect time to see what Johnsson can do. Worst case scenario, he’s not quite there, and goes back to the AHL. Best case, he earns a spot.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  19. CantLoseWithMatthews

CantLoseWithMatthews Registered User

Benching Leo is less of a concern than benching Johnsson imo. Leo is pretty bad at 5v5 and I think it's easy to assume Johnsson will be better. also Leo will likely be gone after this year and we'll want to prepare AJ for a more prominent nhl role as soon as possible

20. Martin Skoula

Martin Skoula Registered User

I like the idea of Leo replacing Brown for a few games, the sheltered competition Bozak and JVR face is usually the type of player that's easier to pull into a penalty. Well compared to who Kadri usually faces anyway.

Plus Brown was a bit disappointing against Washington, I don't know if he has a higher gear because he's always running at 100%. Brown could get spot duty on the Matthews line for Dzone starts maybe.

21. Willchel Marlynder

Willchel Marlynder (philer bozel)

Once JVR walks he will be in the lineup

22. Ulysses31

Ulysses31 Registered User

Social Justice
    Amazing thing about leafs is if they lose bozak, jvr and komorov they will arguably be better come next year.

Hyman Matthews Brown
    Marleau Kadri Marner
    Johnsson Nylander Kapenen
    Martin Aaltonen Leivo

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    bionic likes this.
  23. Cor

Cor Most Likes Received By HFW Poster - 2018

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again, Johnsson depending on his usage, can score 20-25 goals next year

BertCorbeau likes this.
  24. HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL Win Now in full effect

25. HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL Win Now in full effect

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.