Andreas Johnsson needs to be in the Leafs line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
that's a pretty big generalization. only uncle leo and sosh are under six. 5 players 6'2 and over. we can use 1 player who is 5'10 and fast and skilled.

players 6 feet or over

#PosShHtWtBornBirthplace
42CR6' 1"199Mar 19, 1986Regina, SK, CAN
28RWR6' 0"185Jan 14, 1994Toronto, ON, CAN
11CR6' 1"213Jun 9, 1992Toronto, ON, CAN
43CL6' 0"190Oct 6, 1990London, ON, CAN
24RWR6' 1"187Jul 23, 1996Kuopio, FIN
47CL5' 11"209Jan 23, 1987Narva, EST
32LWR6' 2"210May 26, 1993Innisfil, ON, CAN
12CL6' 2"215Sep 15, 1979Aneroid, SK, CAN
16CR6' 0"175May 5, 1997Markham, ON, CAN
15LWL6' 3"220May 8, 1989Windsor, ON, CAN
34CL6' 3"216Sep 17, 1997San Ramon, CA, USA
20CL6' 0"192Aug 3, 1980Thornhill, ON, CAN
29CR6' 0"191May 1, 1996Calgary, AB, CAN
26RWL5' 11"185Oct 14, 1993Nizhny Tagil, RUS
25LWL6' 3"217May 4, 1989Middletown, NJ, USA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Martin Moore JVR Bozak Leivo Sosh are all about as good as gone. Marner is 170lbs so I am not sure you can even worry about the 6ft. They need to be heavy as well right? I would argue that 200+ lbs mark makes more of a difference then the 1" height.

We don't have a spare Martin, Moore, JVR, Bozak while Sosh and Leivo are extras.

Johnsson, Timashov, Bracco, Aaltonin are all small and that's really all we have. That's why it's VERY IMPORTANT to move some people and stock the cupboards.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Martin Moore JVR Bozak Leivo Sosh are all about as good as gone. Marner is 170lbs so I am not sure you can even worry about the 6ft. They need to be heavy as well right? I would argue that 200+ lbs mark makes more of a difference then the 1" height.

We don't have a spare Martin, Moore, JVR, Bozak while Sosh and Leivo are extras.

Johnsson, Timashov, Bracco, Aaltonin are all small and that's really all we have. That's why it's VERY IMPORTANT to move some people and stock the cupboards.

I don't think that will be true for all of them. Throw Komarov into the UFA group and if we lost him, JVR, Moore, Martin and maybe Bozak there's going to be space for Kapanen/Leivo/Johnsson to play next year

I don't think we'll lose 5-6 guys for next year, it'll be a subset of them

Grundstrom/Korshkov are in the cupboard too for some size. And I agree with the sentiment of Babcock wanting to have some bigger bodies around, let's hope Leivo is in that group

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
The fact that so many people seem so sold on Johnsson is a bit confusing to me. He's made steady progression throughout his career and has earned a chance for sure, but he's 23 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's too little too late for a productive NHL career. I'm certainly not counting on him to replace anyone.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The fact that so many people seem so sold on Johnsson is a bit confusing to me. He's made steady progression throughout his career and has earned a chance for sure, but he's 23 and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he's too little too late for a productive NHL career. I'm certainly not counting on him to replace anyone.
there's literally no reason to think it's too late for him to be a good NHLer. he's tied for 2nd in the AHL in goals, and always impresses me when i watch him

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Earmarked for that promotion once we let JVR walk I'm guessing. Then we start incubating Korshkov down there, rinse and repeat.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Hyman was older than him when he had his rookie season.

My general rule of thumb is that a prospect has to look at least close to nhl ready by 22 if they’re going to make it. And I think that applies to Johnsson who looks imo like he could seamlessly slide into the Leafs lineup at present

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
It helps that he’s a LW also. The Leafs are pretty thin on the left side. From what I’ve seen and heard from people (Justin Bourne) this kids ready to go. Look forward to him earning a spot next season!

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

johnsson is probably heavier than connor brown or kapanen. he's close to 200 and stocky. also,

you have to pick your goal posts. are we talking about current roster? are we talking about prospects? ahl level? are we only talking fowards?

if you are talking about prospects, then:

korshov, joshua, bobylyov, chebykin, kara are all big forwards. and if you were talking about only fowards, i don't need to bring greenway and kasanen, gordeev, middleton, mattinen and nielsen into the conversation.

korshov and joshua are the most likely nhlers of the large forward group. and both can jump into the nhl.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
It is getting to the point where it is tough to justify him staying down with the Marlies any longer. He is in a very similar situation to Kapanen, where he seems to have outgrown the AHL and has the offensive and defensive tools to play in the NHL.

It is obvious that we are going to have to make some sort of moves to thin out the log jam of: Martin, Soshnikov, Leivo and Moore. Hopefully the moves are enough to create an opportunity for Johnsson to get a shot this season. I am not sure why we haven't explored using Komarov as the 4C, which could allow for Johnsson to slot in at LW on that line, if we move out some bodies.

I agree, but I'm not sure where he would play. Maybe move Komarov to centre?

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Komarov - Kapanen

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I don't understand the impatience. Why bring him up the instant it looks like he's mastered the AHL? Let him stay in the AHL for a couple more months to reinforce the habits that are working for him. If they call him up now, he won't get a chance to do that, he'll be on the 4th line.

Reactions: The Kessel Run
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->