TSN: Andreas Johnsson declined offer

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm not a guru when it comes to finessing draft picks and their values. I just kind of look at the floor and the ceiling of things.

If Carolina offer sheets AJ in the $3-4 million range and the Leafs don't match then they get Carolina 2020 2nd. So let's say that's the floor. I'm not prepared to give up a 1st so that's kind of where my ceiling is at. McKeown + Car 2019 2nd is my initial offer so small + / - on that ballpark is fine with me.
Carolina GM made it pretty clear he was not interested in offer sheets during the Nylander Saga. Do you really think that changes with a player of Johnsons caliber?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Carolina GM made it pretty clear he was not interested in offer sheets during the Nylander Saga. Do you really think that changes with a player of Johnsons caliber?
But other teams could look at a 2nd is worth the shot at a mid line guy making 4 million, and make an offer. For him or Kapanen.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Galchenyuk got $4.9M as a 22 year old coming off a 44 pts season and 17 goals. He did have a better season the year prior though. Johnsson is 24 and two years older along the process so $4M is a good high starting point based on what he as accomplished if you ask me. This comes 2 years after Galchenyuk too so inflation needs to be factored in.

Now do the same with Domi. Or Vatrano.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Now do the same with Domi. Or Vatrano.

There are all kinds of high and low sample contracts. That's the point, you can't set the number on your own. It's a negotiation. Johnson is also just touching his prime years so put yourself in his shoes. He wants to make enough money so he is set for life after hockey and his age 25-30 year span is the best shot he has to do it.

Domi signed his deal with a $79.5M salary cap and coming off a very disappointing season with 9 goals. I think $3.25M for one or two years for Johnson is fair and why would he start there and not at $4M? It's a negotiation

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Galchenyuk got $4.9M as a 22 year old coming off a 44 pts season and 17 goals. He did have a better season the year prior though. Johnsson is 24 and two years older along the process so $4M is a good high starting point based on what he as accomplished if you ask me. This comes 2 years after Galchenyuk too so inflation needs to be factored in.

Sounds like another Nylander situation. Leafs fans say no way he is worth $8M and should not get anymore than $6M and it ends up somewhere in the middle.

What is the fair AAV? I say one year at $3.25M. Can the Leafs fit this in? No idea until we get to see about Marner, Marleau, and Kapanen.

One year you're looking at mid-high 2s. 3.25 might be a fair high point ask, but it in no way is the middle ground where the negotiation would settle. Toronto would want at least 3 years at that price point. There's too many data points to argue at this point, 40 point RFA wingers have a set price.

This is also ignoring that Johnsson is among the oldest and shortest track records of those RFA wingers.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Sounds like another Nylander situation. Leafs fans say no way he is worth $8M and should not get anymore than $6M and it ends up somewhere in the middle.

What is the fair AAV? I say one year at $3.25M. Can the Leafs fit this in? No idea until we get to see about Marner, Marleau, and Kapanen.

Galchenyuk was a top 10 pick. He played three year in the NHL before getting his 4.9 million dollar deal. Also had already put up a 30 goal season.

The entire team was bad the year he signed he was also consider a C/RW which makes a huge impact on what he should be paid.

You should know better being a Habs fan.

Johnsson is a former 7th round pick. Playing his first season in NHL. Playing on a line with Matthews and Kap. A one year 3.25 year deal is outrageous. He is worth 2.75-3 on a 3 year deal. Any team stupid enough to sign him to a one year deal at that will be sorely disappointed.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Galchenyuk was a top 10 pick. He played three year in the NHL before getting his 4.9 million dollar deal. Also had already put up a 30 goal season.

The entire team was bad the year he signed he was also consider a C/RW which makes a huge impact on what he should be paid.

You should know better being a Habs fan.

Johnsson is a former 7th round pick. Playing his first season in NHL. Playing on a line with Matthews and Kap. A one year 3.25 year deal is outrageous. He is worth 2.75-3 on a 3 year deal. Any team stupid enough to sign him to a one year deal at that will be sorely disappointed.

who cares what round he was drafted in 6 years ago?

hes been a beast in every league hes played in since, including the nhl. why should he take a discount because he was behind on his development 6 years ago?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Johnsson literally has 82 career NHL games. Any team would be foolish to pay him anywhere near 4 mil

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Although I bet the CAR front office will follow the Johnsson situation closely, I think they'd be much more interested in Kapanen. I'd easily do Mckeown + 36OA for Kapanen or maybe even 28OA + Mckeown or similar prospect for Kapanen + another draft pick (3rd or 4th).

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
who cares what round he was drafted in 6 years ago?

hes been a beast in every league hes played in since, including the nhl. why should he take a discount because he was behind on his development 6 years ago?

He has been a beast in every league he has played in...... why did it take him 6 years to make it to the big show?

Look putting up 42 is no small feat but thinking your worth around 4 per year after playing 82 games is a joke. 3x3 is what I think is fair for both sides.

Reactions: Fogelhund

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He has been a beast in every league he has played in...... why did it take him 6 years to make it to the big show?

Look putting up 42 is no small feat but thinking your worth around 4 per year after playing 82 games is a joke. 3x3 is what I think is fair for both sides.

Yeah. If Johnsson put up those numbers over 3 seasons, not 1 1/3 basically, then yeah, 4+ would be a fair contract.

One of the things in his favour is that he already holds an arb hammer despite only playing 82 games total over 2 nhl seasons.

that's why he's more likely to get a higher AAV than Kapanen

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Although I bet the CAR front office will follow the Johnsson situation closely, I think they'd be much more interested in Kapanen. I'd easily do Mckeown + 36OA for Kapanen or maybe even 28OA + Mckeown or similar prospect for Kapanen + another draft pick (3rd or 4th).
Kap is also more logical for us to move. We are weaker at LW than RW and AJ will be cheaper. Not rocket science. See ya Kap.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I'm afraid position and cost make that irrelevant. Useless is obviously hyperbole, he is an NHL rookie after all....

Useless is a bit too harsh, but away from the puck, he doesn't have an impact.

The value between them is close enough that I'd just trade whichever gets the higher return.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Useless is a bit too harsh, but away from the puck, he doesn't have an impact.

The value between them is close enough that I'd just trade whichever gets the higher return.
I think it's a bigger gap than that. Kap is looking at 4mil + and AJ around 2.5. Kap will get the higher return.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
When was the last sophomore to go to arbitration? Could be kind of a risky play for AJ. Course an arbiter did award Cody freaking Ceci a 4.3 million dollar deal last year so you never know.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kap is also more logical for us to move. We are weaker at LW than RW and AJ will be cheaper. Not rocket science. See ya Kap.

The wrench is that there are rumours that Kap is more willing to buy in and play ball salarywise to stay on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad