Recalled/Assigned: Andreas Borgman loaned to the Marlies

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
I think this is a very good move by management. In fact, even if we hadn't had injuries that brought up Dermott and the subsequent good that Dermott has brought, it's still good for Borgman to go back now and really have success and gain even more confidence.

We've got a cushion for our play off spot which affords us the luxury to make these moves to benefit the development of younger players.

This is a case (jmho) of a situation where the player's development benefits AND it meshes with the needs of the team in the short term.

Sometimes, team goals (short term) get in the way and inhibit the team from providing the best development possible for growing players, but, in this case, it's good for both the player and the team.

Borgman could be a solid part of this team's future but if not, if he's traded for a player who will be, his development is still a critical at this stage - both his developmental stage as well as where our team is at in it's development.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
All things considered, I'm ok with this move. Dermott has forced his way into the starting lineup, and Babs will likely alternate Polak and Carrick with him on the 3rd pairing. Polak can play against the more physical teams, and Carrick can play against the faster teams.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I have zero problem listing off the good stuff as well but this incessant rubbish where all the bad stuff is explained away like it was some master plan is straight bull

He's a coach, he does good stuff and bad and this pom pom waiving he's always right don't ever question him is getting ridiculous and is intellectually dishonest

If it's an unreasonable explanation, then sure, call it out. Speaking for myself, I do subscribe to what I believe is a reasonable likelihood that there is much more to some of the decisions than meets the eye. And I think it's completely unreasonable to believe that management doesn't know the quality of it's players against a backdrop of asset management prior to the deadline. So what does that entail? Well, principally it's about development right? I'd think so given the emphasis on Mark Hunter's and Kyle Dubas' mandates.

Is it reasonable to assume that Lou Lamoriello and Mark Hunter and Mike Babcock and Kyle Dubas - all with varying spheres of responsibility throughout the organization - don't communicate as to which assets need to be acquired, discharged and how best to go about that? Do those relationships sound simplistic with all the moving parts from amateur scouting to Babcock's nightly roster and everything in between?

Understanding that there is a larger plan doesn't exclude identifying questionable coaching moves within any given game. Human beings make mistakes. Mike Babcock is a human being. Mike Babcock makes mistakes. But I wonder which extreme of the debate is given to greater exaggeration? Those that see (have faith) that there's a larger plan in place that accommodates reasonable expectation of error or those who see the errors committed by the coach as being evidence of no larger plan at all.

Last edited:

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
I think this is a very good move by management. In fact, even if we hadn't had injuries that brought up Dermott and the subsequent good that Dermott has brought, it's still good for Borgman to go back now and really have success and gain even more confidence.

We've got a cushion for our play off spot which affords us the luxury to make these moves to benefit the development of younger players.

This is a case (jmho) of a situation where the player's development benefits AND it meshes with the needs of the team in the short term.

Sometimes, team goals (short term) get in the way and inhibit the team from providing the best development possible for growing players, but, in this case, it's good for both the player and the team.

Borgman could be a solid part of this team's future but if not, if he's traded for a player who will be, his development is still a critical at this stage - both his developmental stage as well as where our team is at in it's development.

Absolutely. And Dermott is evidence to this end.

Heck of a job by Borgman to make the jump as he did. Some time in the AHL will be fantastic for his overall development. The SEL rookie of the year is going to be a mainstay before long. And I think getting some kinks worked out in the A is going to be crucial just before the playoffs, where apparently, Borgman thrived in Sweden.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I am happy going with with

Rielly hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott. Carrick

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Suck for Borgy, but Dermott came in and stole the 3LD for the forseeable future. He's gonna have to learn to play his offhand if he wants to make the Leafs in the near future.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Its too bad that Borgman is falling victim to the outstanding play of Dermott, but theres no way Babs was going to let Polak sit in favour of Borgs. At least he'll get meaningful minutes on a powerhouse AHL squad instead of press box minutes with a ticked off Leivo.

without Polak we have zero physical presence on the back end, no one who can work the boards behind the net, he is an excellent PK guy...Borgman makes the great odd hit no doubt, as can Dermott, but neither of those guys can out muscle most of the bigger forwards and push them off pucks negating a cycle, and that's something that Polak is very good at

while he doesn't have the footspeed of Gardiner Dermott or Rielly, I would say he's faster then both Carrick by an eyelash and Hainsey by at least 4 steps

Reactions: Popeye7735

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Roman Polak: The Toronto Maple Leafs’ puck-rushing, bone-crushing and singing defenceman

“He’s probably one of our fastest defencemen,” said Gardiner. “He’s a very mobile guy. Plus he’s very physical and strong, so that right there makes him so effective. He knows if he gets beat, he can get back so it allows him to play aggressively.”

I know all the bloggers like to run with the "hockey is so much faster and getting faster" narrative, with a dash of Polak/Dinosaur thrown in. That narrative has started this myth of a Roman Polak with Allison footspeed and it just aint true

the PK went 1/3 last night, off the top of your head tell me who was on the ice when the puck went in, i'll give you a clue #46 had already left the ice after 136 of PK time, the goal was scored 10 seconds later with 4 seconds left in the penalty

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Polak being on the team may not affect where Borgman plays at all.
LHD is Reilly, Gardiner and Dermot. Right side is Zaitsev, Hainsey Polak and Carrick.

Might seem unfair, but key is to keep Borgman (and Dermot) playing big minutes....somewhere.
I might be one of few that doesn't mind if Polak plays, but Carrick has to get in at least half the time, replacing Polak.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
I'd rather a Dermott-Borgman or Borgman-Dermott pair to Dermott-Polak, as both players have experience on the right side with the added benefit of both being 10x the player Polak could ever hope to be.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Roman Polak: The Toronto Maple Leafs’ puck-rushing, bone-crushing and singing defenceman

I know all the bloggers like to run with the "hockey is so much faster and getting faster" narrative, with a dash of Polak/Dinosaur thrown in. That narrative has started this myth of a Roman Polak with Allison footspeed and it just aint true

the PK went 1/3 last night, off the top of your head tell me who was on the ice when the puck went in, i'll give you a clue #46 had already left the ice after 136 of PK time, the goal was scored 10 seconds later with 4 seconds left in the penalty

First time i seen him play at the ACC, I was impressed with his speed, he was like a train! Lucic is like that, 250lbs just motoring.

Reactions: therealkoho

Popeye7735

Jan 4, 2018
without Polak we have zero physical presence on the back end, no one who can work the boards behind the net, he is an excellent PK guy...Borgman makes the great odd hit no doubt, as can Dermott, but neither of those guys can out muscle most of the bigger forwards and push them off pucks negating a cycle, and that's something that Polak is very good at
while he doesn't have the footspeed of Gardiner Dermott or Rielly, I would say he's faster then both Carrick by an eyelash and Hainsey by at least 4 steps
Agree with your 1st paragraph 100%. Polak is the physical presence that the Leafs defence sorely lacks, particularly against big body teams.
He is the Hyman of our defence who is furocious along the board, in front of the net and is good at PK (and would even fight ......), but has stone hands with the puck and looks awkward at times at key moments - as all of our other d-Men do from time to time.
He does not deserve the overwhelming negativities on this board. I'd dare to bet 10 to 1 with those who state he does not belong to the NHL that if he was put on waiver, he would't be claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->