Andreas Athanasiou

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
AA is a guy that bar injury is always going to get you a solid 20 goals over a career. He is a fantastic depth scorer because you can stick him out with grinders and he will keep teams honest with his speed and hands. As long as you have dmen that can get him the puck there are few that can catch him on a breakaway. With that said I don't think he has the hockey IQ to take it to the next level by playing and creating more offense with other elite players. He has gotten better about using his teammates but he is likely always going to be a low assist guy. Maybe I'll be wrong but I have yet to see it in him.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It’s hard to pin AA down because on his best nights he’s a superstar and on his worst he’s barely NHL caliber. And in the middle he’s an okay player that can dazzle once or twice in a game.

His stats are nice for a guy who is so inconsistent. High goalscoring for someone who misses so many breakaways and doesn’t play with high-end playmakers.
He has improved but he’s still someone you hope can keep raising his floor and become more reliable.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Solid 2lw, that's probably his ceiling tbh

Really fast but his hands sometimes just aren't good enough and defensively is sus at times. Hockey IQ seems to be good enough to do the job but he doesn't think the game at a particularly good level.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
I got the vibe from the OP that he was saying "he has this many points, imagine if he had PP points" "He's 32nd in the league while playing with Gendening, imagine if he had better teammates"

I realized I was drawing certain conclusions. That's why I said "if you're trying to make an argument"...again, making an assumption people don't usually make a thread saying "this guy is an average 3rd liner who is playing on a 3rd line. That is all"

And yeah, I don't think I'm making some bold statement by saying hockey IQ is not one of his strengths
That's my point hes not a 3rd line player, he has been misused by a very average AHL coach who is in way over his head. He is not the only player that is misused on our team, we will all be happy when Trash is gone. Mantha huge shot from the slot, hey lets put him net front, Abby a true 3rd/4th line guy aww his a Mi kid put him on the first line, Get a line playing well and getting some chemistry nope cant have that switch it up now! This post was not puff up AA post as much of a look at how poorly the coaching staff are doing with what they have. The PP is a even bigger mess than the head coaching now as well.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Solid 2lw, that's probably his ceiling tbh

Really fast but his hands sometimes just aren't good enough and defensively is sus at times. Hockey IQ seems to be good enough to do the job but he doesn't think the game at a particularly good level.
The only other forward on the team that backchecks harder is Larkin and he has better hands than most on the team. At this point up front it's Larkin, Gus,AA, Mantha, Bert.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
One of my favourite non-Jets, he hasn't fully put it together yet but he's an exciting player

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes a weird player. Kinda reminds me of Evander Kane of a few years ago (not sure if hes different in San Jose). You can play him on the third line with meh line mates and he'll get his 20 goals, he doesnt play that great with other players who jhave the puck a lot though so on a top line I'm not sure that production increases as much as you would expect for a lot of players.

Hes a guy who can take over a game with his speed and hands but you dont get it all the time from him. Theres a reason he was projected top 10 at the start of his draft year and theres a reason he fell. Obviously he shoulda went higher (1st round for sure) in hindsight but I can see parts of his game that scared scouts off

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He’s a very good 2nd line player but I can’t see him ever being a real top line threat.

He usually has a hard time finding open teammates as he’s more of a streak down the wing as fast as possible kind of guy. Like you said he’s also had some motivation issues and his defensive play is questionable at best.

He has been one of the few bright spots on the team (Larkin/Cholo/Jensen being the others) this season but I still would flip him for a quality young top 4D if that chance came up.

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
Lots of skills and great wheels but doesn't think the game well. You can see something similar in Vancouver in Goldobin.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don’t think he’ll ever be a real star player, but he is very valuable. We can throw him with anyone on the third line and he’ll put up 20-25 goals. He can also create offense out of anywhere and seems to just keep getting better.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
AA is a guy that bar injury is always going to get you a solid 20 goals over a career. He is a fantastic depth scorer because you can stick him out with grinders and he will keep teams honest with his speed and hands. As long as you have dmen that can get him the puck there are few that can catch him on a breakaway. With that said I don't think he has the hockey IQ to take it to the next level by playing and creating more offense with other elite players. He has gotten better about using his teammates but he is likely always going to be a low assist guy. Maybe I'll be wrong but I have yet to see it in him.
He's pretty much an end to end timbit hockey kid in the NHL.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Do we all at least agree that it's interesting that opinions of him range so greatly from bad to good?

Is there a more polarizing player in the league? Is there another player whose usefulness is so seemingly hard to reach a consensus on?

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Do we all at least agree that it's interesting that opinions of him range so greatly from bad to good?

Is there a more polarizing player in the league? Is there another player whose usefulness is so seemingly hard to reach a consensus on?

Marchessault possibly before Vegas

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
That's my point hes not a 3rd line player, he has been misused by a very average AHL coach who is in way over his head. He is not the only player that is misused on our team, we will all be happy when Trash is gone. Mantha huge shot from the slot, hey lets put him net front, Abby a true 3rd/4th line guy aww his a Mi kid put him on the first line, Get a line playing well and getting some chemistry nope cant have that switch it up now! This post was not puff up AA post as much of a look at how poorly the coaching staff are doing with what they have. The PP is a even bigger mess than the head coaching now as well.

I disagree. I think the team as a whole look better in live action than what they are on paper. Wings should be the worst team in the league by a country mile yet they keep lingering around bottom 5. I think coaching should be last who get any blame. They are winning TOO much!

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
18: Only 20 players in the NHL have more ES goals than him. (0 EN goals)
1.41: 32 players in the NHL have more goals per 60 than him. (only 2 PP goals)
16:19: He's #150/427 forwards in TOI/game (>20 games)
14.04%: He most commonly plays with Luke Glendening and Darren Helm, who have 11 and 8 assists, respectively. (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools)
0: +/- 0 good for #8 on DRW.
13.1%: shooting % good for #135/646 (in case you're worried about sustainability)
16: 52 NHLers have drawn more penalties than him.

Those are the facts I managed to dig up on this season. This is a guy who a lot of Red Wings fans recently wanted to give up on in exchange for a pick. A guy with an alleged history of motivation issues.

What do fans around the NHL think about this guy?

He’s played with Nielsen more than either of those guys

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
He’s played with Nielsen more than either of those guys

True, but the difference isn't that great. Its statistically about 60/40 between Nielsen/Glendening at center. Either way, we're still quibbling about a guy who is either with an aging 35-40 point center, a defensive 20-25 point center, or being used as a center himself as a last resort, which he isn't cut out for. At the end of the day, he is a guy who can make do with very little.

20 goals, 2 unassisted, and 13/18 of the primary assists on his remaining goals come from different guys. 14 different sources for just 20 goals is bananas. And the guy leading the pack is Luke Glendening with 3 primary assists for AA.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
20 goal pace in the AHL as a 19 year old. Total bum.
Reading is not your strong suit is it? Who called him a bum? Oh that's right it was you. I said "Well he has not really shown being anything other than ok so far. Everything everyone knocks AA is what Simon has said of Z just with out the speed". If I wanted to call him a bum I would have used my words, I know you have a hard time with that. It's okay just read slowly you will get it big guy.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
13/18 of the primary assists on his remaining goals come from different guys.
Very interesting stat. How did you get it? Looking at each game log individually, or is there a site where you can quickly compile it?

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
I thought he was gonna be the big part of the next generation of redwing players to keep the playoff streak going

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Reading is not your strong suit is it? Who called him a bum? Oh that's right it was you. I said "Well he has not really shown being anything other than ok so far. Everything everyone knocks AA is what Simon has said of Z just with out the speed". If I wanted to call him a bum I would have used my words, I know you have a hard time with that. It's okay just read slowly you will get it big guy.

Speaking in a condescending tone doesn't make your claim any less ridiculous. :thumbu:

Kakko the bust

Hughes > Kakko ALL DAY, everyday
Nov 6, 2017
Well he has not really shown being anything other than ok so far. Everything everyone knocks AA is what Simon has said of Z just with out the speed.

How has he not shown anything.

Four straight games with a goal and five straight with a point. He started the year as an 18 YEAR OLD in a men’s league and will end it while only being 19. It’s already confirmed he will play in the NHL by Kenny boy this year.

What’s with the hate on Zadina. Your a red wings fans as well. Honestly, he’s further along than Bouchard, Quinn Hughes, Hayton, Wahlstrom, technically even Kravstov(he plays in the K) but there is a difference in euro hockey and NA hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad