Andreas Athanasiou

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
18: Only 20 players in the NHL have more ES goals than him. (0 EN goals)
1.41: 32 players in the NHL have more goals per 60 than him. (only 2 PP goals)
16:19: He's #150/427 forwards in TOI/game (>20 games)
14.04%: He most commonly plays with Luke Glendening and Darren Helm, who have 11 and 8 assists, respectively. (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools)
0: +/- 0 good for #8 on DRW.
13.1%: shooting % good for #135/646 (in case you're worried about sustainability)
16: 52 NHLers have drawn more penalties than him.

Those are the facts I managed to dig up on this season. This is a guy who a lot of Red Wings fans recently wanted to give up on in exchange for a pick. A guy with an alleged history of motivation issues.

What do fans around the NHL think about this guy?

EDIT: Updated stats as of 21 March 2019.
25: Only 12 players in the NHL have more ES goals than him. (1 EN goal)
1.50: 21 players in the NHL have more goals per 60 than him. (only 3 PP goals)
16:40: He's #132/449 forwards in TOI/game (>20 games)
11.92%: He most commonly plays with Luke Glendening and Darren Helm, who have 12 and 8 assists, respectively. (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools)
-6: +/- -6 good for #11 on DRW.
14.4%: shooting % good for #91/682
25: 20 NHLers have drawn more penalties than him.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Great wheels. Seems like at times his hands can't keep up.

Would like him on the habs so he and Byron can kill penalties together.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Doesn't he have 20G this year? Counting last night's pair of goals.
This data is current on nhl.com as of the time of the above post, but it's entirely possible that the website did not update stats since last night's game.

EDIT: I see the issue. My post is referring to 18 ES goals. You are correct that he has 20 goals overall, including 2 on the PP.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Reminder in case it's relevant to anyone: Athanasiou was drafted 110th overall by the Red Wings in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Over the past 3 years, only Matthews, Arvidsson, Skinner, Tarasenko, Ovechkin, Atkinson, and Laine have scored even strength goals at a better ES rate (G_60). He is the best depth scorer in the league and does it with garbage centers.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
18: Only 20 players in the NHL have more ES goals than him. (0 EN goals)
1.41: 32 players in the NHL have more goals per 60 than him. (only 2 PP goals)
16:19: He's #150/427 forwards in TOI/game (>20 games)
14.04%: He most commonly plays with Luke Glendening and Darren Helm, who have 11 and 8 assists, respectively. (Line Combinations - Frozen Tools)
0: +/- 0 good for #8 on DRW.
13.1%: shooting % good for #135/646 (in case you're worried about sustainability)
16: 52 NHLers have drawn more penalties than him.

Those are the facts I managed to dig up on this season. This is a guy who a lot of Red Wings fans recently wanted to give up on in exchange for a pick. A guy with an alleged history of motivation issues.

What do fans around the NHL think about this guy?
No not a lot of , a few very dull minded hockey fans who really should just not talk hockey and just watch it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
(only 2 PP goals)
Not to imply that he doesn't get to play on the PP. He does, he's just not especially good at it

I'd say it's pretty accepted that he has a low hockey IQ. Might as well put him out there with less offensively gifted guys so he can just work his one-man-show. It might just be the best situation for him and the team.

He's a nice piece that can potentially find an offensive role anywhere in the top-9. But if you're trying to make an argument that he's some sort of top-10 NHL winger that is just being held back, I disagree

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
elite skater, drives and makes plays, and as the team gets better is gunna have some really good numbers. Red Wings have a nice foundation to build on with this year's pick, Larkin, Mantha, AA Veleno and Rasmussen

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Not to imply that he doesn't get to play on the PP. He does, he's just not especially good at it

I'd say it's pretty accepted that he has a low hockey IQ. Might as well put him out there with less offensively gifted guys so he can just work his one-man-show. It might just be the best situation for him and the team.

He's a nice piece that can potentially find an offensive role anywhere in the top-9. But if you're trying to make an argument that he's some sort of top-10 NHL winger that is just being held back, I disagree
Really its accepted by who he has a low hockey IQ? Did someone say he was a top 10 winger somewhere I missed? Or did someone say hes doing ok on a shit team with 3rd 4t line team mates?

Reactions: VelenoLikeAFeleno

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Really its accepted by who he has a low hockey IQ? Did someone say he was a top 10 winger somewhere I missed? Or did someone say hes doing ok on a **** team with 3rd 4t line team mates?
I got the vibe from the OP that he was saying "he has this many points, imagine if he had PP points" "He's 32nd in the league while playing with Gendening, imagine if he had better teammates"

I realized I was drawing certain conclusions. That's why I said "if you're trying to make an argument"...again, making an assumption people don't usually make a thread saying "this guy is an average 3rd liner who is playing on a 3rd line. That is all"

And yeah, I don't think I'm making some bold statement by saying hockey IQ is not one of his strengths

Reactions: Conbon

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Great wheels. Seems like at times his hands can't keep up.

Would like him on the habs so he and Byron can kill penalties together.
lol what? His hands are amazing. His two assets are his speed and his hands, what are you even talking about? Are you thinking of Darren Helm?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I got the vibe from the OP that he was saying "he has this many points, imagine if he had PP points" "He's 32nd in the league while playing with Gendening, imagine if he had better teammates"

I realized I was drawing certain conclusions. That's why I said "if you're trying to make an argument"...again, making an assumption people don't usually make a thread saying "this guy is an average 3rd liner who is playing on a 3rd line. That is all"

And yeah, I don't think I'm making some bold statement by saying hockey IQ is not one of his strengths
Look, I realize talking about AA gets polarizing very quickly. That's why I didn't do anything other than lay out facts.

The facts say he's scoring goals at an elite rate without playing on a line with an elite playmaker. You can choose to extrapolate from there or just be impressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->