Rumor: Andre Tourigny possible Reeds replacement.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
out of denver: http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/201...aches-andre-tourigny-and-mario-duhamel/21406/

suggests tourigny wants to be a head coach, so maybe ryoun-nourada then?
seems to blame colorado's problems on defense.

The Avs obviously have a problem with shots-against and getting hemmed in their zone. But Tourigny should not be seen as “runner” or scapegoat. At every practice I attended, play stopped when Roy had something to say — and usually he was running the D-zone drills.
seems to stop short of blaming either tourigny or roy, but you get the feeling that the two were not on the same page.

in any case, the sens main concern with coaching should be the powerplay, not pk or defense. We need a plan that's better than "go out there and try to score".

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think because of what happened in Florida, the NHL will modify its rule to include a possible 3 string goalie in case both go down.

So a guy, not on the 23 man roster, who flies everywhere with the team, and 99% of the time sees no ice-time a season?

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
So a guy, not on the 23 man roster, who flies everywhere with the team, and 99% of the time sees no ice-time a season?

I dont know exactly but maybe someone designated as a 3rd goalie in case of emergencies instead of just saying "Alright guys, who played goalie in peewee and how fast can you tie the pads" :laugh:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013

or the nhl should hire 15 ECHL level goalies who they pay to travel around and have one at every game in case the situation arises.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Isn't Jason Smith our d coach?

I always thought it was kindaof random that Jason Smith decided to have a position with the Sens. I thought he'd go and work for the Oilers in some capacity after he retired considering he spent so much time with them in his career and he was only played 1 season in Ottawa

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
or the nhl should hire 15 ECHL level goalies who they pay to travel around and have one at every game in case the situation arises.

It wouldn't work like that either. ECHL level goalies will play in the ECHL. Taking 15 goalies from an NHL/AHL affiliated league would undermine certain teams.

Only thing I could see working is having 1 goalie in each city, who live close, who attend games and will be called upon if the situation arises.

Former NCAA/CHL/Pro goalies who have nowhere else to play or are retired. The AHL team in my city call up goalies/players from the Senior League when this type of thing arises (former CHL/NCAA/Pro players)

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It wouldn't work like that either. ECHL level goalies will play in the ECHL. Taking 15 goalies from an NHL/AHL affiliated league would undermine certain teams.

Only thing I could see working is having 1 goalie in each city, who live close, who attend games and will be called upon if the situation arises.

Former NCAA/CHL/Pro goalies who have nowhere else to play or are retired. The AHL team in my city call up goalies/players from the Senior League when this type of thing arises (former CHL/NCAA/Pro players)

NHL teams do have "lists" they go to in the event of an absolute emergency of having a goalie go down with no time to get a signed goalie in town before puck drop. Most of the time, the lists consist of former college-level or European-pros that live in the immediate vicinity. This also applies to the AHL as well. Most times, these are goalies that have helped the team out during summer training or being available for NHL players to shoot at while rehabbing an injury. Some teams are more prepared than others and have names of goalies in every NHL city they can count on. If it were to happen to Ottawa, they have a HUGE list of amateur goalies to choose from here including Matt Spezza and Mike Fisher's brother Bud.

Florida's situation was tougher because how many ex-college/European pro goalies do you think live in Miami and can drop what they're doing to dress for the Panthers?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
NHL teams do have "lists" they go to in the event of an absolute emergency of having a goalie go down with no time to get a signed goalie in town before puck drop. Most of the time, the lists consist of former college-level or European-pros that live in the immediate vicinity. This also applies to the AHL as well. Most times, these are goalies that have helped the team out during summer training or being available for NHL players to shoot at while rehabbing an injury. Some teams are more prepared than others and have names of goalies in every NHL city they can count on. If it were to happen to Ottawa, they have a HUGE list of amateur goalies to choose from here including Matt Spezza and Mike Fisher's brother Bud.

Florida's situation was tougher because how many ex-college/European pro goalies do you think live in Miami and can drop what they're doing to dress for the Panthers?

Haha Matt Spezza would not be getting the call. But good point.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The avs forum seems pretty disappointed about him leaving.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1897669

A lot of us are.

IF this is indeed true, Ottawa got a great hire. The Avs' defensive corps, as a whole, is pretty bad, but we have 2 really bright, shining, spots--EJ and Barrie (Hejda to a degree, but he was just on the wrong side of the "age" thing).

A lot of us fans really credit Tourigny for helping get EJ to that next level, same with Barrie.

He'll definitely be missed.

[FYI-the other assistant coach was actually the Video Coach, Mario Duhamel, and since he was previously a head coach in the Q, the thought is that he was wanting to get back behind the bench, which he never was for Colorado]

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Haha Matt Spezza would not be getting the call. But good point.

Why not? The point of the emergency goalie is to not have an NHL caliber goalie on call. It's to have a warm body that MIGHT fill in in the off chance a goalie goes down mid-game.

Matt played junior hockey and in Europe. And, more importantly, he's never signed an NHL contract which makes him eligible.

That's the biggest thing people overlook. Emergency call-ups must either be amateurs unsigned to the league or players declared as "retired".

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Why not? The point of the emergency goalie is to not have an NHL caliber goalie on call. It's to have a warm body that MIGHT fill in in the off chance a goalie goes down mid-game.

Matt played junior hockey and in Europe. And, more importantly, he's never signed an NHL contract which makes him eligible.

That's the biggest thing people overlook. Emergency call-ups must either be amateurs unsigned to the league or players declared as "retired".

Pretty sure he's a fat used-car salesman at this point. It'd be like asking Denis Potvin to fill in on D.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Pretty sure he's a fat used-car salesman at this point

I heard he was an internationally renowned thief hired by Russians to steal a formula for cold fusion by seducing it's inventor, but because the formula was incomplete, he is now hunted by his former employers.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Yah, I don't think people get the limits of what can be called in as an emergency back-up.

You can't grab a goalie from minor professional leagues like the ECHL or AHL. You're left with guys who recently played minor pro, retirees (like Arturs Irbe dressing this year) or high-end beer league goalies with some amateur experience that someone on the team knows really well and knows can get to the arena very, very quickly.

Ottawa is lucky that they do have two universities to grab their goalies from but there is always the chance that both the Gee Gees and Ravens are on the road too.

And now I just remembered that the Gee Gees program was shut down so it's actually just one university.

Pronto

Mar 24, 2015
Gatineau
Heard Tourigny say today on some French media. He basically said:
i) he contacted a few NHL teams
ii) he would accept a coach job in the AHL
iii) his preference is to stay in the NHL in whatever capacity (assuming assistant coach here since coach is probably out of reach for him at this point in his career)

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Heard Tourigny say today on some French media. He basically said:
i) he contacted a few NHL teams
ii) he would accept a coach job in the AHL
iii) his preference is to stay in the NHL in whatever capacity (assuming assistant coach here since coach is probably out of reach for him at this point in his career)

Sounds like the AHL job for the Habs is an option.

We do need to address the position here with the Sens. And I hope we add (hire) the component that deals specifically with PP and PK.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Sounds like the AHL job for the Habs is an option.

We do need to address the position here with the Sens. And I hope we add (hire) the component that deals specifically with PP and PK.

An option, sure. But if his preference is to stay in the NHL, surely an assistant job here would carry more weight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad