Value of: Andre Burakovsky

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
[QUOTE="zcaptain,
Schaller without cap retention is worth a 3rd/4th
with cap retention for 2 years a late 2nd
QUOTE]

Schaller cant even be a regular on our team, why would some team give up that kind of a pick. I have to think if he was waived there would be a 50 50 chance he could clear due to his contract

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Washington isn't opposed to Burakovsky, and I have been made to believe improvements to their PK area priority.

We have PK forwards, of varying usefulness and costs, and so far I haven't seen Capitals fans going crazy for or immediately denouncing offers being made.

Granlund, Beagle, Roussel, Schaller, Eriksson, Sutter, Gaunce or Motte are all, in my eyes, more or less available, and can all kill penalties, but some could/will require retention, for which I would be asking for compensation were I a GM.

I'm not wild about his production this year, but his history has him developing into a 40 ish point player, and we could use another top six player, but I would hate for us overpay for someone that has 8 points signed for a year and a half at 3 million.

Any one on that list stand out as a player/contract combination that Caps fans would want in exchange?

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
What about something around Andre Burakovsky and Jake Virtanen? Both underperforming so far in their careers but former high potential guys that the other team could use their styles. I know Jake had some flashes of brilliance earlier this year but Andre has had his fair share as well.

Capitals would get a guy better suited for an energy role on the middle six with good foot speed and some needed nastiness.

Canucks get a skill guy who can play both wings and could slot right in to the left wing on one of their top two lines.

I think Andre Burakovsky deserves a real shot to perform somewhere else and Virtanen could really fit the Caps needs as well. They can find a UFA penalty killer somewhere else.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
What about something around Andre Burakovsky and Jake Virtanen? Both underperforming so far in their careers but former high potential guys that the other team could use their styles. I know Jake had some flashes of brilliance earlier this year but Andre has had his fair share as well.

Capitals would get a guy better suited for an energy role on the middle six with good foot speed and some needed nastiness.

Canucks get a skill guy who can play both wings and could slot right in to the left wing on one of their top two lines.

I think Andre Burakovsky deserves a real shot to perform somewhere else and Virtanen could really fit the Caps needs as well. They can find a UFA penalty killer somewhere else.
I don't think the Canucks will bite. Virtanen has 10 goals this year, and his speed, hitting and defensive game is worth a lot to the Canucks. Im having a hard time seeing a fit overall, but if the caps want a PK forward and a depth d-man. Then maybe the Canucks could make an decent offer like Motte or Granlund and Del Zotto (with retention) or Biega.

Personally, a deal that is Edler at 50% , Motte (he is better the an Granlund IMO) for Bura, Djoos and a pick would be fine for me.

Reactions: zcaptain

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

Big pass for the Canucks. He's not scoring as much as we had hoped when he was drafted but to say he's under performing in his career is a lie. He was just drafted way to early for his ability. He's a fine player, and if you remove his draft position, there is no reason to believe he isnt helping our team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Virtanen is the Canucks' version of Tom Wilson. Of course they'd say no to a trade.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
How bout

Cogs(with retention to make cap work) + 3rd
For
Burokovsky

If no retention, id do cogs + 2nd

Last edited:

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008

God this is horrible! Wow just awful

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hahaha of course it's the other team that should trade you their young players for scraps, God forbid you give up a comparable player

Last edited by a moderator:

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
IMO, if the Caps trade Bura before the deadline, it'll likely be for a rental and/or futures. They don't really have any "spare" cap space next year, at least not for the kind of players they're likely to get in a Bura trade.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
This isnt what I would give, its what I think the team would give.

They dont like Goldobin much
I have no idea where you get this notion. The kid plays on the first PP unit and has been getting chances beside Horvat and Petey throughout the year! He’s also outproducing Bura!

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I have no idea where you get this notion. The kid plays on the first PP unit and has been getting chances beside Horvat and Petey throughout the year! He’s also outproducing Bura!
Hes been rolling along recently but the coach has given him so much flak, he is always the first to get benched after a mediocre stretch of play— even if guys like Eriksson or Schaller or whoever have been way worse and continue getting shifts

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
IMO, if the Caps trade Bura before the deadline, it'll likely be for a rental and/or futures. They don't really have any "spare" cap space next year, at least not for the kind of players they're likely to get in a Bura trade.
Hagelin would make the most sense in such a scenario, that is of course it would depend on when he returns from his injury and how he looks. Hagelin is a speedy LW on the bottom 6 who PKs. Hagelin/Eller/Connolly would be a decent 3rd line. Still would want a pick as well as Hagelin for Burakovsky as Hagelin's a rental/pending UFA and Burakovsky is RFA/Arbitration Eligible.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hahaha of course it's the other team that should trade you their young players for scraps, God forbid you give up a comparable player

Who is comparable? Jake hits, skates like the wind and is one of our better defensive skaters. This is a break out year for him, granted, but he also has more goals then Burakovsky has points, with most of his points coming from his own play, not playing with or behind one of the top scoring top sixes in the league.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Hes been rolling along recently but the coach has given him so much flak, he is always the first to get benched after a mediocre stretch of play— even if guys like Eriksson or Schaller or whoever have been way worse and continue getting shifts
You do realize he’s 23 and in only his 2nd NHL season right? He’s a developing player who is still finding consistency in his game. This is quite common.
Doesn’t really matter though, he’s outproducing Bura so why downgrade the roster? Even an idiot like Benning should be able to figure this out

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

Absolutely 110% No chance. Virtanen is finally establishing himself as a top 6/9 winger. We’ve been patient and we want to see the reward. Most I would do for Burakovsky is Granlund+a prospect

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
Absolutely 110% No chance. Virtanen is finally establishing himself as a top 6/9 winger. We’ve been patient and we want to see the reward. Most I would do for Burakovsky is Granlund+a prospect
Fair enough, I’ll be honest that I haven’t seen a ton of Virtanen this year but I’ve always been a fan, even when he struggled. I thought a bigger deal around these two players wasn’t crazy but obviously I was incorrect.

How reliable is Granlund defensively? I’m not huge on his defensive stats but that doesn’t always tell the full tale.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Fair enough, I’ll be honest that I haven’t seen a ton of Virtanen this year but I’ve always been a fan, even when he struggled. I thought a bigger deal around these two players wasn’t crazy but obviously I was incorrect.

How reliable is Granlund defensively? I’m not huge on his defensive stats but that doesn’t always tell the full tale.
Excellent defensively that’s one of his strong suits. He’s one of our best pkers for sure

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Wonder if something around Dzingel & Burakovsky could be worked out. Dzingel is scoring at a 30+ goal, 60+ point pace and his cap hit is only 1.8m (he is, however, an impending UFA). Would free up some cap space for the caps to play with. I could see them bringing back Eric Fehr if Minnesota falls out of the playoff race.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad