Prospect Info: Andre Burakovsky

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
George must be feeling insecure

Hey don't forget I picked that kid Burakovsky

George's Resume / Drafted Wingers with NHL Experience
Ovi - Can't Miss Kid
MJ - many argue a center but lets toss George a bone
Wilson - bottom 6 on simmer. Couldn't let the Flyers get him.

That's it. What the hell has he been doing for 15 years? Yeah I can see why he wants to pump up anyone he can. Kuz seems injury prone but a lot of kids are. The farm seems bare... Mitchell Galiev.

Yvon Corriveau lit it up in juniors too....

I don't know about that. After picking Forsberg he wasn't talking that giddily. His OHL stats are awfully impressive, combine that with the physical tools that translate to the NHL and his young age and it is exciting. I can't wait to see the kid in a couple years. My fear is that GM's sucky side, the one not involved with making 1st round picks and the one that cannot discern the team's needs, will trade Burakovski and Holtby for Miller.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Semin and Fehr no longer count as wingers with NHL experience?
I also find it ironic how you're calling the winger pipeline bare, when most other regard it as the exact opposite. Mitchell and Galiev don't even crack our top five winger prospects, even if you omit Wilson. Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Barber, Stephenson, Sanford.

Semin and Fehr were moved for nothing.... but yeah, Semin was one of his all time best picks. Green and Carlson as well. But what GM tenured 15 doesn't have "great" picks though?

anyways I am looking at our current roster and depth. Maybe its normal that GMs don't have many wingers that they drafted. But all things equal with 8 slots to fill, one would think wingers would have a majority in house. Compared to D for instance, if George drafts heavy D and X number pan out, is he a great drafting GM? Drafts a G every year, one pans out, is he a great GM?

Not necessarily, he just overloaded on a certain position and was simply more likely to have some pan out.... while other positions suffered and were filled with free agents.

I am not terribly impressed with George's drafting and looking at organizational winger depth is a possible way to see it.

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Semin and Fehr were moved for nothing.... but yeah, Semin was one of his all time best picks. Green and Carlson as well. But what GM tenured 15 doesn't have "great" picks though?

anyways I am looking at our current roster and depth. Maybe its normal that GMs don't have many wingers that they drafted. But all things equal with 8 slots to fill, one would think wingers would have a majority in house. Compared to D for instance, if George drafts heavy D and X number pan out, is he a great drafting GM? Drafts a G every year, one pans out, is he a great GM?

No necessarily, he just overloaded on a certain position and was simply more likely to have some pan out.... while other positions suffered and were filled with free agents.

I am not terribly impressed with George's drafting and looking at organizational winger depth is a possible way to see it.

Randy I think you nailed it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Not necessarily, he just overloaded on a certain position and was simply more likely to have some pan out.... while other positions suffered and were filled with free agents.

well...two things. McPhee's drafting has improved significantly in the last half of his tenure. Widely reported that Leonsis early days left a limited budget for scouting and McPhee had a very inexperienced group as a result.
Since the commitment to the draft McPhee has had the budget to retain his good scouts as they matured. If you look at the teams drafting since that draft with Semin, Gordon and Eminger, his results have been pretty impressive.

his drafting of defensemen has been better than forwards, if you look closely. take ovechkin, backstrom and alzner out of the mix as top 5 picks. He drafted Oduya. He they lost Oduya because the Caps chose Morrisonn, Schultz, Jurcina and Green ahead of him. If you want to bash Carrick as a symptom of the problem, that's fine, but that doesn't wash Orlov away(a 2nd round pick). He has Carlson who he stole. Right now the Caps top 4 defense is 3 drafted players.

they have a solid group of defense not in the nhl including bowey and Schmidt. this looks like they have well more than they can use.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
More impressive than the Carlson choice, was looting Philly who had just seen Eminger play about as great as he ever had. Yes, George finally sold a player on a high.

The scouts have clearly targeted the USHL heavily. I almost credit targeting that league, more than the Carlson choice, as something to possibly commend. From there, finding mobile puck moving RDs with size is not difficult.

Admittedly George has made some fine picks but after 15 years, I don't care about his resume anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->