Prospect Info: Andre Burakovsky

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Rough game last night for Erie. Looked tired in their third game in four days and didn't get a very good performance from Devin Williams in net. Just one game though, played pretty well through the first four. Burakovsky played well, second line was flying with the McDavid line being pretty much shut down. Full week of practice ahead before the home opener in the newly renovated rink, I think you'll see Andre get practice time on the McDavid line.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Played on the first line with McDavid and Brown. Also saw 1st line PP time (which went 3-3) with McDavid, Brown, Fox, and Pelech (stacked first line PP). Looked pretty sharp, really used his speed. He tries to go one on one too much and lost the puck a few times. Still needs to adjust the lack of space, defenseman took him with the body a few times. Also still forming some chemistry with McDavid and Brown, that was only their second game together (first was two weeks ago in Plymouth). Also his play in the defensive zone needs to get better. But I am really looking forward to watching him in Erie this season. The new arena is an absolute beauty. Would definitely recommend coming up for a game.

EDIT: here's a video of the goals if anyone is interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWXh1lXS0Tc

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Would one good year in Erie be enough to get him a roster spot next year? Would we move MaJo back to center? What to do with Grabo?

Just from what I've seen, I don't think he makes the Caps next season. Its either Hershey or Erie for a second year, with Hershey being the most likely destination (of course I'd love to have him in Erie again :laugh:)

What I'd say so far is Andre has speed and shooting ability that is tops in the OHL right now, but there have been some downsides to his game I mentioned earlier. Lack of strength, not great defensively, goes one on one too much. Just some things he needs to work on.

As for tonight, he had a goal (an absolute snipe on the powerplay) and the game winning assist, finding Islanders pick Adam Pelech in the slot, who scored with 2 seconds left in regulation, which was exciting. Seems like Erie is still working their lines out as well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Burakovsky highlight reel goal at 1:04. I wasn't all that high on him given a disappointing draft year but he's at least finding his offensive groove with Erie. I liked his zone entry ability in the pre-season.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Watching him play against the 67s right now. Kid is impressive out there, especially on the PP. Kid's got a helluva shot. No goals today but hit 2 posts in pretty much the same spot.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Have been awesome in WJC. Its insane how good he is. Little sad about his lack of physical play tought..he is so big.

Apr 6, 2004
Have been awesome in WJC. Its insane how good he is. Little sad about his lack of physical play tought..he is so big.

Adapt or die. He'll have to embraced the physical NA style game and with the size he has .... good place to start.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
“We watched him a lot at the World Junior Championship and look forward to seeing him sometime in the next few weeks. But we think we made a heck of a pick and maybe one of our best picks ever. This player has everything that we’re looking for in a player. He has size, he has speed, he really shoots the puck, he wants the puck in the tough situations when the game is on the line. He is a real good two-way player and he is about as smart as they come. I don’t think we have many players like him in terms of hockey IQ. He’s a really, really bright player. He is two or three plays ahead of most players. We are thrilled with that selection. For where we got this guy, he might be one of the best players in that draft. It’s almost like [Evgeni] Kuznetsov. I would put Kuznetsov in the top five in his draft and this guy, too. I think if this draft were done over again, he’d be in the top five for sure. He’s a star.”

GMGM on him.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
George must be feeling insecure

Hey don't forget I picked that kid Burakovsky

George's Resume / Drafted Wingers with NHL Experience
Ovi - Can't Miss Kid
MJ - many argue a center but lets toss George a bone
Wilson - bottom 6 on simmer. Couldn't let the Flyers get him.

That's it. What the hell has he been doing for 15 years? Yeah I can see why he wants to pump up anyone he can. Kuz seems injury prone but a lot of kids are. The farm seems bare... Mitchell Galiev.

Yvon Corriveau lit it up in juniors too....

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
George must be feeling insecure

Hey don't forget I picked that kid Burakovsky

George's Resume / Drafted Wingers with NHL Experience
Ovi - Can't Miss Kid
MJ - many argue a center but lets toss George a bone
Wilson - bottom 6 on simmer. Couldn't let the Flyers get him.

That's it. What the hell has he been doing for 15 years? Yeah I can see why he wants to pump up anyone he can. Kuz seems injury prone but a lot of kids are. The farm seems bare... Mitchell Galiev.

Yvon Corriveau lit it up in juniors too....

Semin and Fehr no longer count as wingers with NHL experience?
I also find it ironic how you're calling the winger pipeline bare, when most other regard it as the exact opposite. Mitchell and Galiev don't even crack our top five winger prospects, even if you omit Wilson. Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Barber, Stephenson, Sanford.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Semin and Fehr no longer count as wingers with NHL experience?
I also find it ironic how you're calling the winger pipeline bare, when most other regard it as the exact opposite. Mitchell and Galiev don't even crack our top five winger prospects, even if you omit Wilson. Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Barber, Stephenson, Sanford.

Yeah, I thought GMGM's problem was Center. He over drafts Wingers, if anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad