Value of: Anderson to Pitt?

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Never said the Penguins should trade for Anderson. Don’t really care what they do, but replacing a concussed goalie with one whose brains are possibly scrambled even worse is not a solution.

its a better solution than trading for anderson. a lot better sign mason to a 1 year 650,000 dollar deal and waive him or ir and the cap hit is almost nothing

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It could work as a three-way trade...

1: Anderson + 4th (2021) to Carolina; future considerations to Ottawa
2: Anderson to Pittsburgh @ 50%; BUF 4th rounder (2019) + De Smith to Carolina
3: De Smith to Ottawa (fulfills future considerations clause from original trade)

Ottawa in:
Casey De Smith
Ottawa out:
Craig Anderson, 4th

Carolina in:
BUF 4th 2019, OTT 4th 2021
Carolina out:
2.375m cap

Pittsburgh in:
Craig Anderson @ 2.375m
Pittsburgh out:
Casey De Smith, 4th 2019

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
It could work as a three-way trade...

1: Anderson + 4th (2021) to Carolina; future considerations to Ottawa
2: Anderson to Pittsburgh @ 50%; BUF 4th rounder (2019) + De Smith to Carolina
3: De Smith to Ottawa (fulfills future considerations clause from original trade)

Ottawa in:
Casey De Smith
Ottawa out:
Craig Anderson, 4th

Carolina in:
BUF 4th 2019, OTT 4th 2021
Carolina out:
2.375m cap

Pittsburgh in:
Craig Anderson @ 2.375m
Pittsburgh out:
Casey De Smith, 4th 2019

Not bad.

buckleupbaby

May 8, 2014
Anderson when on his game is as good as anyone. So far he's looked the part in 2 games.

I believe that Ottawa has no interest in moving him at this point given they want to compete for a playoff spot. Best case scenario is he's lights out this year so we can move him at the deadline or summer.

Cant believe nobody already jumped on this. :huh:

buckleupbaby

May 8, 2014
difference is anderson can steal a game for you, can jarry? pens are on their last run. you make the playoffs and you go for the stanley cup with jarry (if murray is out long term)? i not so sure jarry is that good or the pens D to steal games when need be when someone like anderson still could. just my opinion.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Reactions: Goku

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Both Pens back-ups had much better numbers last year than Anderson.

So yeah, we'll stick with what we have instead of giving up assets for a bad old goalie on a big contract.

Did you take a look at the Pens roster and the Sens roster and compare them?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Did you take a look at the Pens roster and the Sens roster and compare them?

Yep. I also looked at their respective save percentages, and wondered why I should prioritize Anderson's crap stats over DeSmith's decent numbers when all we require is DeSmith doing exactly what he did last year.

Can you help me?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yep. I also looked at their respective save percentages, and wondered why I should prioritize Anderson's crap stats over DeSmith's decent numbers when all we require is DeSmith doing exactly what he did last year.

Can you help me?

I think you need help in that you don't know that you can't compare a goalie playing in front of a 2 time Stanley cup championship team that's contending and a team that finished bottom 3 and that was giving way more high quality scoring chances than the Pens.

I can definitely help you with that as needed. Ask for help and I will be there to answer your questions. Stats need to be evaluated with context. Every single time you look at stats you need to look at them with context. Maybe next time.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think you need help in that you don't know that you can't compare a goalie playing in front of a 2 time Stanley cup championship team that's contending and a team that finished bottom 3 and that was giving way more high quality scoring chances than the Pens.

I can compare them enough to know that Anderson's .898 SV% and 3.32 GAA aren't a better fit to fill in for a Murray injury than DeSmith's .921 SV% and 2.40 GAA. If you think a goalie should get a .24 SV% and a .93 GAA margin of error because of his team, I'd love to see the evidence behind that whopper.

So produce something to support that dumbass idea or try peddling that baseless garbage somewhere else, I guess?

I can definitely help you with that as needed. Ask for help and I will be there to answer your questions. Stats need to be evaluated with context. Every single time you look at stats you need to look at them with context. Maybe next time.

Apparently not. Because the crux of my issue was that nobody should care about your context when DeSmith has proven he's capable of of producing those numbers on the Pens for the amount of time we'll need him to and we'd have to pray that the 37 year old Anderson lets in nearly a goal less per game just to match him. :laugh:

Get back whenever.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I can compare them enough to know that Anderson's .898 SV% and 3.32 GAA aren't a better fit to fill in for a Murray injury than DeSmith's .921 SV% and 2.40 GAA. If you think a goalie should get a .24 SV% and a .93 GAA margin of error because of his team, I'd love to see what you have to support that idea.

So produce something to support that dumbass idea or try peddling that baseless garbage somewhere else, I guess?

Apparently not. Because the crux of my issue was asking why anyone should care about your distinction when DeSmith has proven he's capable of of producing those numbers on the Pens for the amount of time we'll need him to.

Get back whenever.

You're great at moving goal posts. Let me remind you your inital comment, since you have already forgot.

You said that both backups had much better numbers than Anderson (As in that actually means anything), and now for some unknown reason you're arguing that DeSmith has good enough numbers on the Pens to cover in Murrays absence... Which I never even talked about. All I've said is that you can't compare numbers just like that, which really is obvious to anyone that knows anything about hockey.

Sure, both backups had better numbers than a number of starting NHL goalies as well that are clearly better than Desmith and Jarry let's not kid ourselves. Having a good save percentage on a good team does not mean much, especially in a limited role. It is true that the Pens should NOT trade for Anderson and that is the reason why I never mentionned that they should. They are just fine with DeSmith and Jarry.

However using their save% to compare them to other goalies, that play behind some of the worst teams in the league and that also that give up the highest amount of high danger scoring chances against .... that really cannot be compared as a basis for your less than logical analysis and it is straight up stupid.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're great at moving goal posts. Let me remind you your inital comment, since you have already forgot.

You said that both backups had much better numbers than Anderson (As in that actually means anything), and now for some unknown reason you're arguing that DeSmith has good enough numbers on the Pens to cover in Murrays absence... Which I never even talked about. All I've said is that you can't compare numbers just like that, which really is obvious to anyone that knows anything about hockey.

They did have much better numbers - that is a fact. Your idea of the quality of the team overcoming the Grand Canyon-esque gap in numbers is pure conjecture.

Can you tell the difference?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
They did have much better numbers - that is a fact. Your idea of the quality of the team overcoming the Grand Canyon-esque gap in numbers is pure conjecture.

Can you tell the difference?

They did and the point I'm making is that it had to be expected.

Two years ago Carey Price had a .900 save %. He's still one of the best goalies in the league. Quality of the team makes an immense difference and there are many examples of this. Getting 10-15 high quality scoring chances against in the slot every games compared to 4-8 will greatly affect your save %....

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
"Add to the injury woes the fact that Mason is coming off arguably the worst stretch of his professional career and you begin to see a full picture of why the former Calder Trophy winner is genuinely considering retirement in spite of being just 20 years of age."

From article. Remarkable career at such a young age....

Unless he was born February 29....

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
They did and the point I'm making is that it had to be expected.

Two years ago Carey Price had a .900 save %. He's still one of the best goalies in the league. Quality of the team makes an immense difference and there are many examples of this. Getting 10-15 high quality scoring chances against in the slot every games compared to 4-8 will greatly affect your save %....

Nothing had to be expected. It's 2018...you don't expect an NHL starter to put up .898 SV% and a 3.32 GAA no matter what his team looks like. If he does, he had a tire fire of a year, simple as that. There's no context that makes those numbers palatable.

28 year old journeyman Mike Condon walked onto the same damn team and played 31 games and had better numbers in both categories so don't try to tell me that it was the team's fault. It was Anderson's fault for sucking so hard that he got outdueled by Mike f***ing Condon. Yeesh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->