Player Discussion Anders Nilsson (G)

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Which goalies need protected in the Seattle draft ?

Anderson/Nilsson/Gustavsson/Hogberg/Daccord

Which, isn't really a problem. We are going to lose a valuable piece in the expansion draft regardless. We can protect the best or most valuable goalie.

Anderson and Nilsson are both UFAs before the draft. So that's something to consider.

Reactions: Sweatred

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Anderson/Nilsson/Gustavsson/Hogberg/Daccord

Which, isn't really a problem. We are going to lose a valuable piece in the expansion draft regardless. We can protect the best or most valuable goalie.

Anderson and Nilsson are both UFAs before the draft. So that's something to consider.

Please don't re-sign Anderson. Imagine if they traded both. FULL YOUTH MOVEMENT! I could picture Dorion shouting at the podium.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Please don't re-sign Anderson. Imagine if they traded both. FULL YOUTH MOVEMENT! I could picture Dorion shouting at the podium.

I highly doubt Anderson stays.

His family apparently lives in Florida full time. There were the rumors of him requesting a trade a year ago.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

And...let us say hypothetically that this season goes better than expected, and then by next training camp the young guys take over and our team shows signs that is ready to compete but our goaltending consists of Hogberg and Daccord/Gustafsson and we start losing games due to bad goaltending, will that be acceptable?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Not likely. He has filled the team with placeholders, Belleville too, and put all the prospects in a position to earn their spots. I don’t see goaltending being any different. Nilsson will hold the starting spot and a prospect will have to challenge him for it and take it. Anderson will retire.

That’s what I see anyways. I like that no one is being handed anything, and judging by Paul’s interview, everyone is in the same boat

Reactions: innocent bystander

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Goalie market is too congested, no point in trading him. Once Andy is gone he will have full control of the starting position. Hogberg will probably come up or some other free agent to back up.

Nilsson is good, I like him.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
First off, goalies are voodoo - let's establish that right away. ;-). Having said that, it's not unheard of for a goalie to only start coming into his own in his late 20s. Hasek was 28 when he became the full time starter in Buffalo, and of course Tim Thomas was 31 when he finally made the league, and 32 when he took over as Boston's starter.

Bottom line - when a goalie is hot, don't mess with it. Keep playing him. As we saw last night, when you're getting goaltending you have a chance to win every time out. That's an amazingly confident feeling as a player. Conversely, when you don't trust your goaltending, it just kills the energy on your bench...

Reactions: dood

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
But, apparently he plays for the Oilers? :sarcasm:
Incoming Trade? :naughty:
upload_2019-11-11_13-39-42.png

Reactions: scallionjj11

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
He's still in the lower ranks among the league as a starter, but seems capable so far, sure.

Problem with Nilsson has never been skill, it's been consistency.

Nilsson's had weeks like this before. He's a good goalie... But starting goalies are a combination of good AND consistent.

If Nilsson can do this with any consistency, then baby... we got a stew goin'.

Reactions: Silencio

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not saying they should but 1 single , relatively easy trade for Dorion to make to help ensure a very low finish would be to trade Nilsson

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not saying they should but 1 single , relatively easy trade for Dorion to make to help ensure a very low finish would be to trade Nilsson

I don’t think PD could trade Nilsson without signalling to the players and coaching staff that he was actively subverting their efforts on the ice in order to lose games. I think that would be completely counter productive to what they’re trying to build here (I know you weren’t advocating for it).

I do agree that the move itself would likely make it that much more difficult to win games.

Reactions: Boud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->