Anders Lee's response when asked the best quality in a teammate via the @nhlpa: "Loyalty."

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Does he have an issue with Ladd leaving to sign with the Islanders? Komarov leaving to sign with the Islanders? Lehner leaving to sign with the Islanders? How about the countless other examples?

Joke of a comment.

Those players were not wanted by their teams. I say you have the joke of a comment.

Also, it’s been stated over and over and beaten to death. It’s not that Tavares left, it was his actions and how he left. Playing for the leafs was/is his childhood dream and he’s living his dream. He has a right to do what makes him happy it’s his life. All he had to do was tell the media “ I’m not answering any questions on my contract or upcoming Free agent status.” Done.

Instead all he did was speak on his desire to stay and be an islander for life. He talked constantly about the future of the team and him being a part of it. He was never pressured into these comments either. He offered them up on the regular. That’s why islanders fans are so upset. If no one can see that than that’s their problem.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Potvin never left and Bossy Retired because of back issues.
Nice try. Unrestricted Free agency didn't exist back then. Neither left because they couldn't.

I'd also argue that Trottier was the best ever...and he did leave (eventually).

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Uh...

This seems to me like standard NHLer boilerplate, like 'team played hard but didn't get the bounces', 'they out hustled us' and (after goalie caps the bed) 'we didn't defend well enough' and not a jab at Tavares.

But people will take it how they will take it.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Tavares told management and fans for a year that he was resigning, Isles didn't even attempt to shop him. Before FA everything from the Isles camp was that they were sure he was resigning.

Then FA hits and it becomes obvious by Tavares comments that he made up his mind a long time ago to leave. He strung his team and fans around, prevented management from getting assets before the trade deadline.

Tavares could have been honest from the beginning and left with class. Or he could have lied and said he made his decision after the Leafs team meeting at FA. Isles fans have every right to be angry with the way he left, you can bet that Isles management is that they didn't get a 1st+top prospect for him.
I don't know who your sources were but just in case, for those who have not seen the piece on Sportsnet, here's how it actually went down.

How the Toronto Maple Leafs signed John Tavares - Sportsnet.ca

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Players forced trades though and they never did. Plus, they’re both considered the all time great islanders.
Potvin pretty much #1 though.

Not really. Without UFA players had very little leverage back then. Some held out but by and large it didn't work. Also, the Isles were a dynasty. If JT's Isles were even half that good, he probably wouldn't have left.

And I'll concede Potvin as #1...with Gordie Lane a close 2nd .:sarcasm:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This just shows the mantality of players. More should leave their teams. It's fine in every other sport except the NHL.
The guy took less money to try to win and he's crapped on.
Agreed. "Loyalty" in general is an attribute that sets a person up for getting taken advantage of. It's the players who make the sport, not the organizations or entities.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
i'm sure Tavares would've been viewed differently if he didn't do the whole blanket twitter thing

Last edited:

jjyay

Apr 11, 2011
Uh...

This seems to me like standard NHLer boilerplate, like 'team played hard but didn't get the bounces', 'they out hustled us' and (after goalie caps the bed) 'we didn't defend well enough' and not a jab at Tavares.

But people will take it how they will take it.

Absolutely, I'm kind of shocked by how many people here (not just leaf fans) have worked themselves into a frenzy over the most standard, generic answer to that question.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Whatever lol

A grown ass man made a decision to play for another team. Grow up, and move on. Is this guy 12?

JT is an adult who made an adult decision that was best for him, hockey players, like any athlete, are free to make this choice. Just like us average folk can switch jobs, or divorce partners, it's not a big deal.

I do feel for NY fans, because as a Leaf fan, I would not like to lose a star player, but it's life.

Nobody gives a single f*** about Anders Lee, and his opinions.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Whatever lol

A grown ass man made a decision to play for another team. Grow up, and move on. Is this guy 12?

JT is an adult who made an adult decision that was best for him, hockey players, like any athlete, are free to make this choice. Just like us average folk can switch jobs, or divorce partners, it's not a big deal.

I do feel for NY fans, because as a Leaf fan, I would not like to lose a star player, but it's life.

Nobody gives a single **** about Anders Lee, and his opinions.
OK, I'll give it a go here since you didn't bother reading my or several other posts debunking this. ANDERS AND JOHN WERE AT EACH OTHER'S WEDDINGS THIS OFFSEASON. WHEN ANDRES WAS NAMED CAPTAIN JOHN CALLED HIM TO CONGRATULATE HIM AND THEY CHATTED AT LENGTH. THEY ARE BOTH VERY GOOD FRIENDS. THERE IS VIRTUALY ZERO CHANCE WHATSOEVER THIS WAS A SHOT AT JOHN.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Whatever lol

Lol, Tavares is an ass man.

Reactions: DanM

FinnishSniper

May 8, 2016
Finland
Whatever lol

But you obviously do tho...

Reactions: Strait2thecup
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->