Anders Lee to have hearing today for hit on Gunnarsson

Mar 6, 2012
From a Blues fan perspective it's just getting ridiculous. It feels like every single game another one of our players is on the receiving end of a hit directly to the head, and the league continues to do nothing about it.

It's just a joke. If hits to the head are legal now, then screw it. Every team should be throwing flying elbows at the heads of all of the oppositions best players, because apparently there is no real reason not to.

stlblues23*

We're dropping like flies on defense. I think it's about time to give Colaicovo a call. :yo:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
IMO deserves 2 games. Only question for me is: wasn't the head pretty low? If you move your head down to chest level should that reduce the penalty? Howie and Butch with the Lee tinted glasses made me laugh, love those guys! ;)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Sort of sucks for Lee if he gets suspended. Islanders in Minny tommorow, bet he was looking forward to playing infront of his friends and family.

As for the hit not sure, it was a hit to the head but the guy was leaning down a good foot(if Gunner wasn't leaning down it would have been a shoulder to chest hit)

I guess it could be suspendable for careless play

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I believe Leaf fans call this a forearm shiver that isnt suspendable

Without making comment on the Robidas hit (ie. whether it was suspendable or not), or without speculating on this one (ie. whether it is suspendable or not), this hit is worse than the Robidas hit. Simply put.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I just hate how player safety takes the injury into account.

These hits we see that are up for review should have NOTHING to do with the player getting hurt.

Oshie got hit brutally about 10 days ago and nothing came of it because he ended up fine. I complained heavily. I'll stand by that sentiment now. It should make zero difference that Gunnarsson is out indefinitely now. That's why they waited this long and it's stupid.

It sucks Gunnarsson is out because our defense is already pretty banged up, but that was no more suspendable than a multitude of other hits we've seen in the past couple of weeks league wide.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I can see why the NHL would give out a suspension but to me this shouldn't be punishable. Gunnarsson was leaning backwards which brought his head down to chest level. What was Lee supposed to do, stop? This game is played too fast for players to make split second decisions like that. In my opinion, if a player is going in for a hit and the player who is recieving the hit puts himself in a vulnerable position prior to recieving the hit then it shouldn't be punishable.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
We're dropping like flies on defense. I think it's about time to give Colaicovo a call. :yo:

Philly beat you to it!
Though they seem to just be sitting on him, not really using him; giving him the Hal Gill treatment. Maybe you can offer them something to give Colaiacovo one more chance to visit the Blues' doctors!

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Should not get a suspensions because he did not lift his elbow up to players head, rather player seemed to lower his head into the elbow to reach the puck. But since most of the disciplinary guru's are former Raggies, Lee as a first time offender will probably get 2 games. But yet no penalty, no hearing for Neal after he took Hamonic out from behind and injured his shoulder! Way too onconsistant

Total Bender

Unregistered User
Apr 20, 2014
Stl
Sort of sucks for Lee if he gets suspended. Islanders in Minny tommorow, bet he was looking forward to playing infront of his friends and family.

As for the hit not sure, it was a hit to the head but the guy was leaning down a good foot(if Gunner wasn't leaning down it would have been a shoulder to chest hit)

I guess it could be suspendable for careless play

I know right... Gunnarson is probably in a dark room right now, who knows when he'll play next, and all I can think of is how sad it is that Lee might not get to play in front of his family. Totally sucks :shakehead

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Should not get a suspensions because he did not lift his elbow up to players head, rather player seemed to lower his head into the elbow to reach the puck. But since most of the disciplinary guru's are former Raggies, Lee as a first time offender will probably get 2 games. But yet no penalty, no hearing for Neal after he took Hamonic out from behind and injured his shoulder! Way too onconsistant

Regardless of whether or not the level of Gunnarsson's head changed, he still lead with the elbow. That's pretty irresponsible if you ask me.

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Canucks fans are my favourite, oh so salty.

And as stupid as it is, when will people understand it doesn't matter if Gunnar was leaning and looking down. It's dumb and some pansy **** but the rule is you can't hit a guy directly in the head even if he's putting himself in a bad situation.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
Worth a game or 2 suspension. No idea how Robidas got away with no suspension hearing, that was twice as worse as this.

Mar 6, 2012

These hits we see that are up for review should have NOTHING to do with the player getting hurt.

Oshie got hit brutally about 10 days ago and nothing came of it because he ended up fine. I complained heavily. I'll stand by that sentiment now. It should make zero difference that Gunnarsson is out indefinitely now. That's why they waited this long and it's stupid.

It sucks Gunnarsson is out because our defense is already pretty banged up, but that was no more suspendable than a multitude of other hits we've seen in the past couple of weeks league wide.

The message they are sending is that headshots aren't a big deal anymore. OPEN SEASON ON HEADS GUYS!

The next time the Blues play the Islanders, they can just drive a flying elbow right to the face of Tavares. It's apparently not a biggie. Every team should start every single game with a shoulder pad to the face of the other teams best player. That's apparently just peachy keen according to the NHL. It would put you at a competitive disadvantage to not be concussing the opposition. It's just hockey. Apparently.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
The message they are sending is that headshots aren't a big deal anymore. OPEN SEASON ON HEADS GUYS!

The next time the Blues play the Islanders, they can just drive a flying elbow right to the face of Tavares. It's apparently not a biggie. Every team should start every single game with a shoulder pad to the face of the other teams best player. That's apparently just peachy keen according to the NHL. It would put you at a competitive disadvantage to not be concussing the opposition. It's just hockey. Apparently.

Yeah ok, the Isles and Blues play Thursday. Do you think the Blues got away with any on Saturday, or just the injury. Lee does not lift his elbow into Gunnersons head, he braced for the wall and went to hit a player that was behind him in the shoulder. Problem is, Gunnerson was reaching and had his head lower.

I am sure the league will rule against Lee, they always do when it comes to isles (too many former Rags in Toronto). But what gets me is the lack of calls against the opponents playing the Isles. Last week the Sens Neal took out Hamonic on a hit from behind and knocked him out with a shoulder injury. Nothing, no call, no review, no nothing

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I thought he deserved at least one game, but my problem with the entire situation is the fact that Player Safety waited until Gunnarsson was revealed to be injured with a concussion. Stop suspending because of the result, suspend because of the action.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I thought he deserved at least one game, but my problem with the entire situation is the fact that Player Safety waited until Gunnarsson was revealed to be injured with a concussion. Stop suspending because of the result, suspend because of the action.

Its asinine. I've thought that regardless of which players are involved. If I lay the exact same hit on two players, but one is more fragile or has a history of concussions and becomes concussed....I should incur the exact same penalty. Anything otherwise is completely illogical and only institutionalizes the illogic of the process. Its hard enough to be consistent without a basic error in the premise you start with.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I present to you exhibit A: Salty Canucks fan.

As you can see, this specimen places the Leafs AND Senators at the scene of Vancouver's untimely death.

No further questions. I rest my case.

That's cute.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I'm a Blues fan that simply doesn't think this was anything other than unfortunate, so naturally, I couldn't care less about a possible suspension.

My issue is with Tim Peel and co. not calling an elbowing penalty. It was textbook elbowing and completely asinine to not call it, especially since a few plays later they're whistling Backes for a cross check (which it was). Don't get me started on the Stastny tripping minor.

One of a growing number of games routinely and embarrassingly officiated league wide.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
I am sure the league will rule against Lee, they always do when it comes to isles (too many former Rags in Toronto). But what gets me is the lack of calls against the opponents playing the Isles. Last week the Sens Neal took out Hamonic on a hit from behind and knocked him out with a shoulder injury. Nothing, no call, no review, no nothing

I hope this lightens the load you carry a little bit friend.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

We can all probably agree with this. Consistency on suspensions is an impossible concept for this league, and it frustrates the hell out of us and likely the players.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
IMO deserves 2 games. Only question for me is: wasn't the head pretty low? If you move your head down to chest level should that reduce the penalty? Howie and Butch with the Lee tinted glasses made me laugh, love those guys! ;)

To be fair they changed their view after more replays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->