Player Discussion Anders Bjork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
I know this will sound odd but I`m kind of an odd guy to be kind but last night, being my first game to watch the B`s and specifically a few players in particular, I watched them once they hit the ice as much as the camera would allow and your first sentence is what I focused on as much as I could (play without the puck).

Although the Hawks didn`t necessarily ice a close to ready NHL lineup, that doesn`t mean you can`t still look lost without the puck out there and with that, most impressive for me on both the back end and forwards were Bjork and O`Gara of those I tried to focus on.

On Bjork`s goal, on the replay I watched of it, Bjork himself cut off the route the Hawks wanted to intially take to move the puck up ice, forced the play along the boards, you can teach this but there are certain players who are willing to do it while others won`t, loved the play off the draw as much as the goal

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/video/bjork-rips-home-bergerons-feed/t-277443694/c-52932203

I agree, I find that you can really see if a player has what it takes by their play without the puck. You can't coach natural hockey IQ. (I guess you can a little bit) But if they're in the right spots, closing angles, finding seems, sticks in the right areas, etc you can get a good idea of how they process the game. It takes more than IQ to be successful in the NHL, but if they are lost in those respects you know they will have a tough time of it. It also helps having the perfect player in Bergeron to compare to. :laugh:

That video you linked was a beauty. Bjork with work along the boards, Marchand pressuring the defenseman, Bergeron stripping, Bjork with the quick turn around and found the passing lane, Bergy with the beauty sauce, Bjork with the excellent rip. That's why I ****in love hockey right there!

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree, I find that you can really see if a player has what it takes by their play without the puck. You can't coach natural hockey IQ. (I guess you can a little bit) But if they're in the right spots, closing angles, finding seems, sticks in the right areas, etc you can get a good idea of how they process the game. It takes more than IQ to be successful in the NHL, but if they are lost in those respects you know they will have a tough time of it. It also helps having the perfect player in Bergeron to compare to. :laugh:

That video you linked was a beauty. Bjork with work along the boards, Marchand pressuring the defenseman, Bergeron stripping, Bjork with the quick turn around and found the passing lane, Bergy with the beauty sauce, Bjork with the excellent rip. That's why I ****in love hockey right there!

It was a terrific play by him leading ultimately to his goal on a sublime Bergy feed.

In a life long ago I coached at the AA level in Ottawa and I had two different fathers approach me at the same time after I had a practice in which my focus for that ice time was focused less on pucks on the ice, far more on play without it and a short session/education on preparing to absorb a hit which , at that time with kids this talented was a completely neglected aspect IMO. Both were livid that I was willing to "waste" an hour of their time having such few drills with the pucks on the ice. We had just lost a few days prior to a team who was not close to being as talented as our group but their positioning away from the puck led to them filling our net.

I pointed this out to these two fathers, both who, yes you guessed it, approached me after the loss complaining about my practices not focusing nearly enough on defensive responsibilities. Amateur coaching is an absolute gift, some parents just don`t understand or are willing to accept that this game is played far more without the puck than with it.

Bjork, in that last game, on 3 separate shifts which the camera allowed me to see his positioning forced the D-man to alter his initial plan to play the puck into a certain area. You can coach this, but there are some players who get "it", the "it" doesn`t get the ink, but it sure helps put some "W`s" up on the board

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Bjork is just a confident young man. Agressive

He looks like he "wants" it. Really glad he ended up signing. That was a crazy situation

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
It was a terrific play by him leading ultimately to his goal on a sublime Bergy feed.

In a life long ago I coached at the AA level in Ottawa and I had two different fathers approach me at the same time after I had a practice in which my focus for that ice time was focused less on pucks on the ice, far more on play without it and a short session/education on preparing to absorb a hit which , at that time with kids this talented was a completely neglected aspect IMO. Both were livid that I was willing to "waste" an hour of their time having such few drills with the pucks on the ice. We had just lost a few days prior to a team who was not close to being as talented as our group but their positioning away from the puck led to them filling our net.

I pointed this out to these two fathers, both who, yes you guessed it, approached me after the loss complaining about my practices not focusing nearly enough on defensive responsibilities. Amateur coaching is an absolute gift, some parents just don`t understand or are willing to accept that this game is played far more without the puck than with it.

Bjork, in that last game, on 3 separate shifts which the camera allowed me to see his positioning forced the D-man to alter his initial plan to play the puck into a certain area. You can coach this, but there are some players who get "it", the "it" doesn`t get the ink, but it sure helps put some "W`s" up on the board

Great post. This is what I'm most excited about. This is a guy known for his defense first. I was at the game the other night and his play without the puck is awesome. He's really going to be something.

Square Hammer*

Jan 22, 2017
His offensive instincts are terrific. He'll have some rough games for sure, but I think he'll be a treat to watch this season as he develops.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Kid is money. Does everything silky smooth and at ridiculous speed, he could almost be a C right now the way he can rush the puck up ice and keep it glued to his blade. I just wish he shot that puck in the opening minutes, with his shot and skill he could have lasered that far side corner but he passed it to Marshy who was already tied up. He’ll learn, that was all nerves. He’ll kick himself on replay. He is going to be so fun to watch im so excited. Wish someone got in Emelin’s face when he took a big run at Bjork tho, that annoyed me

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Why is bjork getting a free pass? His production, play has been declining with every game

Bench him or send him down to Prov to get his going again

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Why is bjork getting a free pass? His production, play has been declining with every game

He is just coming back from an injury, it will take time. Why is it every time a young player struggles a bit people want to ship them off to the minors. Young players will have their ups and their down and if shipped off every time they are down it certainly wouldn’t do much on the confidence front now would it?.. Let’s give him some time to play through it and see where it goes.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

I'm with ya.

I hope the Bruins aren't giving him a free pass because he left College early and signed with them. A trip to providence is what he needs and will make him better in the long run. Or at the very least let him watch a few games from the press box and see if that will turn his game around. He has a ton of skill and speed but it seems at times he's just lost out there.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Kids might stay in nhl for 2 good reasons... 1 they are contributing to winning hockey or 2 they are learning how to contribute to winning hockey later

Is either applicable to bjork at this moment? Could an offensive talented kid benefit from time in ahl? Im not sure what promises were made to convince him to leave university but from a strictly hockey pov i think his confidence is wounded after his injury and some easier competition might be what the doctor must perscribe

Doesnt change my opinion this guy is our most talented kid.

But also my gut feeling hes going to be traded sooner rather than later. Heinen might not have the same offensive upside but heinen is clearly making an effort to become a more complete player

BruinsNetwork

He is just coming back from an injury, it will take time. Why is it every time a young player struggles a bit people want to ship them off to the minors. Young players will have their ups and their down and if shipped off every time they are down it certainly wouldn’t do much on the confidence front now would it?.. Let’s give him some time to play through it and see where it goes.

Kudos, to you.

Bjork could benefit from a night in the press box, if anything. The issues he is having aren’t the same as other players like DeBrusk last year and now Senyshyn, for example. Therefore, Bjork needs to be learning at the NHL-level, not in the AHL. There’s not much for him down there.

Bjork is keeping up with plays, pushing pace & getting to the right places. Recently, he just hasn’t been making great decisions, which is ok. He’s young and clearly that injury has messed with his mojo. He looked at his best next to Bergeron and they complimented each other very well. Maybe a few reps at 1RW again would give him a spark.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Time for some Spooner. H
Kudos, to you.

Bjork could benefit from a night in the press box, if anything. The issues he is having aren’t the same as other players like DeBrusk last year and now Senyshyn, for example. Therefore, Bjork needs to be learning at the NHL-level, not in the AHL. There’s not much for him down there.

Bjork is keeping up with plays, pushing pace & getting to the right places. Recently, he just hasn’t been making great decisions, which is ok. He’s young and clearly that injury has messed with his mojo. He looked at his best next to Bergeron and they complimented each other very well. Maybe a few reps at 1RW again would give him a spark.

It will come back. For now play Spoons.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think he needs the same seasoning that Heinen and DeBrusk got last year and that JFK and Senyshyn are getting this year.

I`d have no issue with him being sent down and if they do that, I don`t see it as being a long demotion, just one to give him ice time, hopefully get that confidence up.

Coming off a concussion (I`m guessing) and I think they just want to give him a chance but he`s struggling out there right now. Absolutely love the promise I see in the kid and a demotion might be less about the B`s being disappointed in him and more about this simply being a kid who needs time in Providence to get him lots of TOI

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the explosive stride and confidence that we saw earlier in the year. I also don't like him with Krejci at all.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Maybe it's just me but I don't see the explosive stride and confidence that we saw earlier in the year. I also don't like him with Krejci at all.
No. I agree its just not there.

I noticed it big time in the Detroit game. There was one instance when DeBrusk flew by him on two different occasions on the same shift as if Bjork was skating in cement.

I think a lot of it could be contributed to hes a little lost out there and is thinking way to much and just isn't reacting. A little bit of Analysis paralysis.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No. I agree its just not there.

I noticed it big time in the Detroit game. There was one instance when DeBrusk flew by him on two different occasions on the same shift as if Bjork was skating in cement.

I think a lot of it could be contributed to hes a little lost out there and is thinking way to much and just isn't reacting. A little bit of Analysis paralysis.

You could see early on when he had the puck he liked to wind up using crossovers to build speed and carry the puck, then doing that he got rocked twice, so I think there may be somewhat hesitant now doing that.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

don`t think your wrong, I`d entertain sending him down for a bit and would do so without it being a massive concern about his future, give him lots of TOI and opportunity and I`d wager we`ll see him up soon again

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
He is still worried about getting crushed again. You can see it. He had a lot of puck presence before. He hounded, played with pace and confidence.

Especially last night you could see that knowing Washington is an aggressive checking team. He was very hesitant. Carlo the same thing. I think he was worried about getting rocked by Ovi again. He hot potatoed the puck a lot.

Just young guys learning the league. Press box wouldn’t hurt him for a game or two. Even Providence though there are more headhunters down there so I’d be a little more cautious with that

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
You could see early on when he had the puck he liked to wind up using crossovers to build speed and carry the puck, then doing that he got rocked twice, so I think there may be somewhat hesitant now doing that.
yup.

That Matt Martin hit may of been a good thing in the long run.

In college I'm sure he got away with flying and free wheeling across the middle but you need to be a little more aware of those opportunities up in the bigs.

I'm sure he'll get his feet back on the ground and figure it out.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
yup.

That Matt Martin hit may of been a good thing in the long run.

In college I'm sure he got away with flying and free wheeling across the middle but you need to be a little more aware of those opportunities up in the bigs.

I'm sure he'll get his feet back on the ground and figure it out.

Absolutely, a prime example of one of those things you can get away with a lot more often at the NCAA level than you can in the NHL. Same with his other "go-to" move, which was when coming down the off-wing, cutting inside to the high slot for a shot across the grain. That's a hard move to pull off at the NHL level, easy to read and D-men just get in front of it and shut it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad