Prospect Info: Anders Bjork - II - signed ELC May 30th-MOD post #9‎

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
It's not the same argument. Hayes is unlikely to be selected by Vegas. Then the Bruins put him on waivers. No one's likely to take him (be nice if they did!). So he goes to Providence, receiving his full salary and reducing the B's cap hit, thereby opening up a spot for a youngster or acquisition. Bruins did it before.

Doesn't quite work that way.

Hayes makes 2.3m.

Sending him to Providence covers $375k (as per the CBA) + $650k(minimum salary for this season) or 1.025m. That means he costs $1.275 on the salary. Of course, you have to replace him on the roster, so add that player's salary as well. Bjork costs $925, so putting him on the roster and burying Hayes means that you are paying $2.2m, which saves the B's 100k on the cap.

Of course they could replace him on the roster with a cheaper option than Bjork, but Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Heinen, are all right around in that ballpark too, and would only save about $160k.

The biggest savings would be if Gabrielle made the team instead. Sending Hayes down and keeping Gabrielle instead would save about 300k on the cap.

Of course in that case, you are probably scratching Gabrielle a lot and is that a good thing? Wouldn't it be better to just keep Hayes on the roster and scratch him?

IMO they'll waive Hayes, see if anyone bites (nobody will) and then just keep him on the roster to be the healthy scratch.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed on all counts. I think DeBrusk will get a long look as well. People see the offensive numbers the last two years from Bjork and I think they forget that coming up through the US Dev program, Bjork was a 3rd/4th line player. He put up good offensive numbers for the minutes he got, but he was primarily a defensive guy. Unlike a lot of prospects coming up, the D side of the game is a strength for Bjork, and the offense came later. Given that, he should be able to earn a spot and fit in well on one of the lower lines to start (ala Marchand as a rookie).

A line of Kuraly, Acciari, and Bjork (or DeBrusk, etc) would give teams fits I think.

Marchand and Lucic both started on the 4th line- as was Kessel at times his rookie year

It would be a very very very fast line

All college kids and American - the Pens model

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
This is the one scouting area that they really appear to be lacking at. The goal is to find guys that will be as good/better in the B's system as they were on their old teams and this appears to be where the disconnect is? If we can see it, I'm sure Sweeney can. The question will be if he does anything about it going forward.

I believe Sweeney brought in both Matt Lindblad and Dennis Bonvie as pro scouts. A small step in the right direction IMO. But, I believe it needs more new blood. There is lots to cover. These guys also scout the AHL.

And as far as I can tell, they are all regionally based - and you know how I feel about that. McVie is on the west coast, Creighton is in Ontario, Lindblad in California and Bonvie in Pennsylvania.

There's overlapping between McVie/Lindblad and between Creighton/Bonvie. But to me, they are just dots on the large hockey map.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Doesn't quite work that way.

Hayes makes 2.3m.

Sending him to Providence covers $375k (as per the CBA) + $650k(minimum salary for this season) or 1.025m. That means he costs $1.275 on the salary. Of course, you have to replace him on the roster, so add that player's salary as well. Bjork costs $925, so putting him on the roster and burying Hayes means that you are paying $2.2m, which saves the B's 100k on the cap.

Of course they could replace him on the roster with a cheaper option than Bjork, but Senyshyn, DeBrusk, Heinen, are all right around in that ballpark too, and would only save about $160k.

The biggest savings would be if Gabrielle made the team instead. Sending Hayes down and keeping Gabrielle instead would save about 300k on the cap.

Of course in that case, you are probably scratching Gabrielle a lot and is that a good thing? Wouldn't it be better to just keep Hayes on the roster and scratch him?

IMO they'll waive Hayes, see if anyone bites (nobody will) and then just keep him on the roster to be the healthy scratch.
Thank you. Proves my point. The Bs get rid of a pariah, replace him on the roster with a promising prospect on an ELC, and still save money.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Thank you. Proves my point. The Bs get rid of a pariah, replace him on the roster with a promising prospect on an ELC, and still save money.

Just to clarify a little more.

They don't save "money". In fact, sending Hayes down and calling up someone like Senyshyn actually costs Jacobs about 800k, since guys like Senyshyn, Heinen, Bjork etc have 2 way deals that only pay them 70k in the AHL but 800-925k if they play in the NHL.

It does save "cap space", but again, not much. For most of those guys the savings would be about 100k.

But even then, it isn't quite that simple. Since those guys are on ELCs, most of them have performance bonus money that could accumulate if they are in the NHL. Now, if Senyshyn makes the team and excels and hits all his bonus, you gladly pay the extra 300k in cap space you lose in having him on the team instead of Hayes. But the point stands: if you want Hayes sent down, cap space isn't really the reason to do it.

And again, if they carry 14 Fs that means 2 guys are sitting most nights. It's better for young players to be playing in the AHL than to be sitting a lot in the NHL pressbox. Unless they are going to just rotate 5 players through the bottom line repeatedly to keep them all playing, it makes more sense to keep those guys in the minors. Sitting in a suit in tie most nights, and then getting 8 minutes on the 4th line once in awhile is not how to develop prospects.

It would be great if Hayes is off the Bruins roster, but if the options are Boston or Providence I really don't see anything better for the team with him in Providence.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Just to clarify a little more.

They don't save "money". In fact, sending Hayes down and calling up someone like Senyshyn actually costs Jacobs about 800k, since guys like Senyshyn, Heinen, Bjork etc have 2 way deals that only pay them 70k in the AHL but 800-925k if they play in the NHL.

It does save "cap space", but again, not much. For most of those guys the savings would be about 100k.

But even then, it isn't quite that simple. Since those guys are on ELCs, most of them have performance bonus money that could accumulate if they are in the NHL. Now, if Senyshyn makes the team and excels and hits all his bonus, you gladly pay the extra 300k in cap space you lose in having him on the team instead of Hayes. But the point stands: if you want Hayes sent down, cap space isn't really the reason to do it.

And again, if they carry 14 Fs that means 2 guys are sitting most nights. It's better for young players to be playing in the AHL than to be sitting a lot in the NHL pressbox. Unless they are going to just rotate 5 players through the bottom line repeatedly to keep them all playing, it makes more sense to keep those guys in the minors. Sitting in a suit in tie most nights, and then getting 8 minutes on the 4th line once in awhile is not how to develop prospects.

It would be great if Hayes is off the Bruins roster, but if the options are Boston or Providence I really don't see anything better for the team with him in Providence.
We can discuss the numbers, but getting Hayes off the roster and replacing him with one of our ELC prospects is a win-win for the team. Scratching him just eats up a valuable roster spot.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Marchand and Lucic both started on the 4th line- as was Kessel at times his rookie year

It would be a very very very fast line

All college kids and American - the Pens model

I like it. Wouldn't mind seeing someone like DoMo back to center them but I could see 2/3 being on the 4th, and the "winner" being on/rotated on the 3rd. You need depth to win and I can't wait to see how deep this team is in a few years.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I believe Sweeney brought in both Matt Lindblad and Dennis Bonvie as pro scouts. A small step in the right direction IMO. But, I believe it needs more new blood. There is lots to cover. These guys also scout the AHL.

And as far as I can tell, they are all regionally based - and you know how I feel about that. McVie is on the west coast, Creighton is in Ontario, Lindblad in California and Bonvie in Pennsylvania.

There's overlapping between McVie/Lindblad and between Creighton/Bonvie. But to me, they are just dots on the large hockey map.

have no fear Dom, my resume has been submitted to Sweeney.

I made sure to highlight my 'achievements" to qualify myself as a first class scouting option pointing to my on the money assessment that Marchand would forever be an AHL player and Caron a long time Bruin contributor with the big club;)

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Anders Bjork Ready To Take His Game To ‘Next Level’ For Bruins This Season

"(I concentrated on) some stuff in the (defensive) zone, just being more responsible and smarter, not jumping in when I don’t have to, closing on guys at the right time,” Bjork said, via the Boston Herald’s Steve Conroy. “Also, I want to try to shoot the puck more. I’ve been working on my shot a lot more over the summer. I’m more confident in it and I want to use that confidence to shoot more and shoot from good areas. That’s really important for me to take my game to the next level

Can't wait too see Bjork. He seems to be the forgotten one........ If he can stay healthy,he could give the Bruins another serious weapon offensively

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Is he in China or here still?

i kind of like that bjork is here - should get a ton of opportunity early on.
he was my favorite forward prospect from the giant glut of guys we had
coming into last year - his speed and IQ and skill combo is really nice, and
that IQ will allow him to learn from the mistakes he made last year - notably
going into the neutral zone/middle of ice with his head down.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i kind of like that bjork is here - should get a ton of opportunity early on.
he was my favorite forward prospect from the giant glut of guys we had
coming into last year - his speed and IQ and skill combo is really nice, and
that IQ will allow him to learn from the mistakes he made last year - notably
going into the neutral zone/middle of ice with his head down.

I like Bjork. Not sure that body will hold up but this team is stacked with high skilled and high Iq wingers

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No way he’s 186

Lou, being out of shape and overweight, I may not be the best guy to discuss this, but muscle is heavier than fat, so he could be 186. Even if he’s 180, he’s not as tiny/frail as some are trying to insinuate.

The kid collided with Matt Martin, who is probably 235-240, and would get the better of a crash with a lot of players.

Reactions: Alicat

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Lou, being out of shape and overweight, I may not be the best guy to discuss this, but muscle is heavier than fat, so he could be 186. Even if he’s 180, he’s not as tiny/frail as some are trying to insinuate.

The kid collided with Matt Martin, who is probably 235-240, and would get the better of a crash with a lot of players.

I think the word your looking for is dense. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weight, well a pound lol. The pound of muscle though is smaller than the pound of fat.

I will say, I saw a few interviews Bjork did recent and he looks like he's packed on some muscle.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think the word your looking for is dense. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat weight, well a pound lol. The pound of muscle though is smaller than the pound of fat.

I will say, I saw a few interviews Bjork did recent and he looks like he's packed on some muscle.

Yes, you are right, dense was the word I was looking for, and it's one that I should be well acquainted with :huh:

I don't think the kid looks like he's 186 pounds of feathers, if you know what I mean :laugh:

Reactions: LouJersey

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Yes, you are right, dense was the word I was looking for, and it's one that I should be well acquainted with :huh:

I don't think the kid looks like he's 186 pounds of feathers, if you know what I mean :laugh:

Trust me a year ago I was saying the same thing about a pound of fat vs muscle lol. It wasn't until I got serious about my health (lost around 90lb last year) that I understood those little things lol.

Your 100% right though with the feathers comment. Last year he looked like a lean twig. This season he looks like looks to have a lot more definition in his muscles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad