Speculation: And yet again...the Off-Topic Thread

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Whats the best way to sell hockey tickets? (not selling on here, just inquiring). I bought to pretty good seated tickets for the MTL @ DET game, I was going to drive to Detroit from Toronto with a friend but his exams got rescheduled to the around the game time.
Standard reseller vendors: StubHub, SeatGeek, Ticketmaster. Worth offering on the GDT when it pops up. Might get a bite.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Need monitor advice. I just a new gaming laptop (lenovo legion pro 5i (4070 card). Looking for a 34” curved to use with it. Will also be using it for work with my Lenovo T15. Budget is $400. I don’t know anything anout monitors and hz and all that jazz. Any suggestions?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Need monitor advice. I just a new gaming laptop (lenovo legion pro 5i (4070 card). Looking for a 34” curved to use with it. Will also be using it for work with my Lenovo T15. Budget is $400. I don’t know anything anout monitors and hz and all that jazz. Any suggestions?

At that big a size and at that price point, you'll be seeing a lot of monitors with roughly the same advertised specs. Actual performance is another animal all together.

1440p is the sweet spot for for resolution. The Hz of the panel is how many frames it can produce per second. So a 144hz display maxes out at 144 frames per second. A 120hz display, 120 fps, and so on. Response time is measured in how quickly the pixels can change, usually any "gaming" display is going to be 5ms or less. But remember manufacturers can put anything on the box and budget brands often overpromise and underdeliver.

But the thing to look out for with monitors, in my experience, are black levels (how black is the black in a scene), light bleed (is there a lightly aura coming out from the sides), and ghosting (is the picture fuzzy when there's a lot of movement in gaming).

Another note is at this price point HDR capabilities are going to be pretty rough and honestly probably not worth turning on at all.

Other nice stuff to have is an adjustable stand (if you're not mounting it on some contraption).

One more thing to look at is if you're interested in ultrawide. If you do any office work on the computer, ultrawides are pretty damn nice as you can put documents and webpages side by side more easily on the one screen. But ultrawide support is not universal, in games or video, so a normal 16:9 ratio is going to display most content, especially videos, at their native resolution the vast majority of the time.

Now with all of that rambling done, this would be my default pick. Dell usually has good panels and decent quality control. This model is a few years old, but should still check every box you've listed and stay under budget. But keep in mind this is a 21:9 display, not 16:9. I think that's far more suited for a 34 inch size.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
At that big a size and at that price point, you'll be seeing a lot of monitors with roughly the same advertised specs. Actual performance is another animal all together.

1440p is the sweet spot for for resolution. The Hz of the panel is how many frames it can produce per second. So a 144hz display maxes out at 144 frames per second. A 120hz display, 120 fps, and so on. Response time is measured in how quickly the pixels can change, usually any "gaming" display is going to be 5ms or less. But remember manufacturers can put anything on the box and budget brands often overpromise and underdeliver.

But the thing to look out for with monitors, in my experience, are black levels (how black is the black in a scene), light bleed (is there a lightly aura coming out from the sides), and ghosting (is the picture fuzzy when there's a lot of movement in gaming).

Another note is at this price point HDR capabilities are going to be pretty rough and honestly probably not worth turning on at all.

Other nice stuff to have is an adjustable stand (if you're not mounting it on some contraption).

One more thing to look at is if you're interested in ultrawide. If you do any office work on the computer, ultrawides are pretty damn nice as you can put documents and webpages side by side more easily on the one screen. But ultrawide support is not universal, in games or video, so a normal 16:9 ratio is going to display most content, especially videos, at their native resolution the vast majority of the time.

Now with all of that rambling done, this would be my default pick. Dell usually has good panels and decent quality control. This model is a few years old, but should still check every box you've listed and stay under budget. But keep in mind this is a 21:9 display, not 16:9. I think that's far more suited for a 34 inch size.

Thanks for the explanation. What happens when you try to play 16:9 content on a 21:9 display? Is that dell one considered ultrawide? It will be replacing the 2 monitors I currently use for work.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thanks for the explanation. What happens when you try to play 16:9 content on a 21:9 display? Is that dell one considered ultrawide? It will be replacing the 2 monitors I currently use for work.

Indeed, 21:9 is consider "ultrawide." There's also super ultrawide but that's a whole other thing that is niche and for enthusiasts.

Here's a good illustration that shows you how content looks on each one.

black-bars-aspect-ratio-16-9-21-9-4-3-cinemawide.png

So if you played a 16:9 video (the most common format for everything now), and you were watching in full screen, you would have black bars on the left and right. Such as the first example in the second row. Sort of like how some old 4:3 TV shows have black bars on modern 16:9 TVs.

Almost every modern game now will have 21:9 support. But videos would look like the example above. In general, 34 inch monitors are going to be 21:9 and 32 inch monitors will be 16:9.

Personally, I think 21:9 is perfect for work and gaming. But hard to go wrong, really. Personal preference. The area of your video will be much bigger on a 16:9 for most content, so that's an advantage. But less horizontal space for work stuff and, in my opinion, slightly less immersive for gaming. Pros and cons.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
Any of you guys familiar with Barcelona? I'm going for a week vacation in the first week of October (9/30-10/7) I'm super excited. First time truly leaving the country, I mean, when you're in Michigan going to Canada in your teens was like going to the corner store.

Staying in the Gothic Quarter where lots of cool shit happens. Gonna get to meet my good friend from there for the first time. She'll have some places to show off, I'm sure, but anyone familiar with must-sees?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Thanks again for the suggestion. Went with that dell. Got me a new motorized stand up desk too! And of new keyboard and mouse. lol

IMG_0844.jpeg
IMG_0843.jpeg

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Hell yeah. And how about that keyboard? What's the deal with that? Pretty sharp looking.

Looks like Fractal Design. Never knew about their keyboards. Love their cases tho.

It is a RK (Royal Kludge) 100. BT/RF with hot swappable brown switches. Never heard of the brand but thought I would check them out. Was thinking about using it for both work and play since you can switch between rf and bt. Haven't tried it for work yet though.
What games?

So far just CS2, Witcher 3, and Splinter cell. Definitely need to get a second drive!:laugh:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Are there any sites for baseball fans that are like HFBoards? I know of Bless You Boys, but that has very low engagement. Anyone have something for Football as well?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Are there any sites for baseball fans that are like HFBoards? I know of Bless You Boys, but that has very low engagement. Anyone have something for Football as well?
I've been looking for years (maybe in the wrong places) but can't find anything. There are basebal/football subforums here on HF that are somewhat active. Other than that, your best bet is probably Reddit (which sucks for sports discussion).

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad