NCAA: And the 2015 Heisman Trophy goes to DERRICK HENRY

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So what? Watson and McCaffery would light up Florida's defense too.

UF's rush defense allowed 3.3 ypc this year, second only in the SEC to Alabama's 2.5

Source

And the conference as a whole only had one school out of the 14 in it (South Carolina) allow more than 5 ypc, at 5.1.

McCaffery is very, very good, but he most definitely would not have "lit up" Florida, nor almost any other SEC team.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
UF's rush defense allowed 3.3 ypc this year, second only in the SEC to Alabama's 2.5

Source

And the conference as a whole only had one school out of the 14 in it (South Carolina) allow more than 5 ypc, at 5.1.

McCaffery is very, very good, but he most definitely would not have "lit up" Florida, nor almost any other SEC team.

I beg to differ Gump. Too bad we won't ever see it since the Southeastern Cowards won't ever do a home and home with a team like Stanford.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
It is wide open and as far as I'm concerned you could throw out Championship week because nobody separated themselves big time. McCaffery had a solid effort but punt and kick return yards aren't an official stat.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Since my poll idea was a dud, I'll discuss my thoughts here. I do not care about "team success" since it is an individual award.

McCaffery: He broke a record held by freakin' Barry Sanders. Sure, a lot of those yards were return yards, but Barry Sanders (and he had more games to play, but that doesn't explain why nobody else broke it since then). I ultimately think "two losses" and his lack of touchdowns will eliminate him.

Watson: Man, what a year. Only the fourth (?) ACC QB with 40 total touchdowns... undefeated team (which means nothing to me)... just outstanding.

Mayfield: Remember when he was at Texas Tech? Man, things have sure changed for him. He very nearly could have gotten benched in the Tennessee game, but he turned it around late and rallied the troops. He was outstanding as well.

Henry: Meh... I know... "SEC defenses!" "SEC schedule!". I wasn't that impressed with him on Saturday. He's very consistent, though.

If I had a vote, I'd go Watson/McCaffery/Henry. I wish Keenan Reynolds got invited to New York. That would have been fun.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Henry
Watson
MCcaffery

Get the invite, if there was a big 12 title game. I think Baker is there.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is wide open and as far as I'm concerned you could throw out Championship week because nobody separated themselves big time. McCaffery had a solid effort but punt and kick return yards aren't an official stat.

Yes they are, it is that total yards stat where McCaffrey became the leader in the history of the NCAA. Now he had more games than Barry Sanders, but when you break any record Barry Sanders holds that is about as enticing an argument as you can have.

Think Easy Ed's kid should win the Heisman.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Yes they are, it is that total yards stat where McCaffrey became the leader in the history of the NCAA. Now he had more games than Barry Sanders, but when you break any record Barry Sanders holds that is about as enticing an argument as you can have.

Think Easy Ed's kid should win the Heisman.

I mean they keep track I guess but they aren't the same as a run or receiving yards. They shouldn't count the same anyway. It was a great effort but atleast on kicks you kinda get an easy chance to run the ball almost 20 yards where as a run there's no real free yards, you truly have to earn every yard you gain on the play.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
At this point I'd be happy with anyone but Henry. Its not that I don't like the guy but I just don't find him flashy. He's not even the best Bama back this decade. He doesn't have long staying power in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Eddie Lacy but I don't think he's as athletic at days end.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
At this point I'd be happy with anyone but Henry. Its not that I don't like the guy but I just don't find him flashy. He's not even the best Bama back this decade. He doesn't have long staying power in the NFL. He kind of reminds me of Eddie Lacy but I don't think he's as athletic at days end.

Watson isn't the best Clemson QB this decade either, so should that go against him?

Got a feeling McCaffrey will win this. I think it's very likely that the eastern voters will be split between Watson and Henry, and so if Christian is able to clean up the Western votes, he'll likely be the winner.

With that being said, I still think it's Henry's to lose. What he's been able to do the second half of the year against these defenses is pretty spectacular. In fact, what he's done has never happened at Bama before.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
it is a stat driven award anyway. McCaffrey beat Barry Sanders all time single season all purpose yards record. Where would Stanford be without him? probably not nearly as good as the other 2 finalist.
I would give the award to McCaffrey.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
it is a stat driven award anyway. McCaffrey beat Barry Sanders all time single season all purpose yards record. Where would Stanford be without him? probably not nearly as good as the other 2 finalist.

Recent history shows it's an award for QB's.

Also if you look at history, for some reason the voting committee doesn't seem to look seriously at players on teams that are fighting for elite bowl (Sorry Navy). I wonder if McCaffrey not being in playoffs will hurt, it certainly shouldn't but I don't vote.

I think it's between Christian and Henry. The key IMO is whether Watson and Henry split the east coast vote while Christian gets all the west coast voters.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

If it truly was a stat driven award, Gerhart would have beaten out Ingram. But Stanford (I think) had four losses that year.

In my opinion, the Heisman has become "The best player on the best team" award, which isn't right in my mind. It's an individual award, not a team award.

With that being said, I do think Henry will win because SEC. I think Watson should win as I mentioned earlier.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
I beg to differ Gump. Too bad we won't ever see it since the Southeastern Cowards won't ever do a home and home with a team like Stanford.

You sir are a broken record on a very bad song. I'm still not sure what it matters that it's a home and home? Why doesn't it matter as much just because we happened to beat the #3 ranked total defensive team (Wisconsin) in Dallas? Oh, and this mighty Stanford you speak of, is 50th in the nation in total team defense.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

I get that you don't like the SEC, and that's fine because there are conferences I'm not fond of either and I agree that biases are all over the SEC, with Alabama probably being one of the most hated teams in America, but just stop and think for a second.

We got FSU to start off the year next year, with USC being our out of conference opponent the year after. Attacking other teams is fine, but belittling a University that annually has been scheduling out of conference Power 5 teams is just ignorant.

I wouldn't mind seeing a home and home with anybody in America that's at least decent, but financially it doesn't make sense when people like Jerry Jones are paying us more money to play in their amazing stadium, that has now become a recruiting tool for Alabama and a chance for these kids to play where the Cowboys play.

Last edited:

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
If it truly was a stat driven award, Gerhart would have beaten out Ingram. But Stanford (I think) had four losses that year.

In my opinion, the Heisman has become "The best player on the best team" award, which isn't right in my mind. It's an individual award, not a team award.

With that being said, I do think Henry will win because SEC. I think Watson should win as I mentioned earlier.

Ding ding ding. That is exactly what it's become.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Mcaffrey should have won it. Guy is a beast. He broke a record by berry sanders.

Henry will be nothing in the nfl, and he was average behind a good oline. Nothing impressive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad